Training for first Half Marathon

Options
2»

Replies

• cnl91_W
    cnl91_W Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half as well! It's not until October but I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be, so I'm trying to be as consistent as possible for the next few months. Feel free to add me as well!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I went to a running shop yesterday, and they said I overpronate, and I was wearing Nike Free Run's for my runs, and she said that's not a good shoe for me since it's so flexible. I'm hoping that's the reason.

The half is a little over 13 weeks out, so I've got plenty of time. Currently using 4 runs a week with some speedwork on one of them. Also cross training once during the week, then resting or light work on 2 days. I'd like to get my pace down to 9 minutes per mile.
    Unless you've been running for several years, ditch the speedwork. Until your aerobic capacity has increased significantly, you're not doing yourself any favors with speedwork.

And most importantly, stretch and foam roll.

I agree with this..unless youve been running for a while...its more about getting the mileage in...the speed work could very well be the source of your shin splints at this point. Also someone suggested getting to a 14 or 15 mile long run...i second this...at least do 13 in training so you know what to expect...it will take so much tension of you when you hit the line.

either way good luck and have fun!!!
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for my first half marathon - I just started running in the fall of 2013, and the half that I'm training for is in October. I'm following a 20 week training program that I found to really ease me into high mileage (at least high mileage for me). The Hal Higdon schedules kind of scared me as a new runner, which is why I'm following a much longer/slower schedule.
    I'm also using Nike+ for my runs, btw.
    Feel free to add (with a message, please, so I know you're not a total creeper).
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Me too! I have 11 weeks to go. I am trying zone train and finding that challening since my town is a hill. Feel free to add me. I am using Edmundo and my Polar HRM. I am following Athleta run and Triathalon training guide.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Done a few 7.5 mile runs, farthest one so far has been 8. Took me a little over hour and a half..

Awesome man. I've been running for a while now and ran varying distance races.

I have 2 Half's coming up in Sept and one (on hold) in Oct. Feel free to add me.