Pizza and the other bad things that we love

Options
khelm31
khelm31 Posts: 51 Member
So I'm sure all of us have things we like to eat, that are not the healthiest options for us, so how do you work those things into your diet without going overboard? I know balance is key, but sometimes even when I plan for those higher calorie indulges, once I'm there, I tend to eat more of it than I should. Should I give up the trigger foods all together? Any advice or tools you use for these situations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you should give them up entirely depends on you. If you're going to binge on something that you're depriving yourself of, then that's not very sustainable.

If you find that moderation is a problem once you've got the pizza (or whatever) in front of you, then plan for it. Go over your goal by 1000 calories that meal and go under your goal by 250 for the next 4 days, for example.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    'I eat 1700-1800 calories a day most days.

Skip breakfast
    500 calories or so for lunch
    1200-1300 for dinner

If I am going boozing that night, I'll just work extra hard in the gym the next day. Works great for me.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have a birthday coming up this weekend and I have a 3 day weekend off work, and I'm planning on indulging. I am not going to worry too much about going overboard. I'll log everything I eat this weekend and next week will be right back on track at 1200 or under.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Get your two pieces of pizza, make a big salad to go with it, light on the dressing, and put the rest of the pizza in the fridge. I'm far more likely to overindulge if it's easy. The whole idea of having to take it back out, heat it up and knowing it won't be as good as when it's fresh helps me keep from eating more than what I've planned for.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So I'm sure all of us have things we like to eat, that are not the healthiest options for us, so how do you work those things into your diet without going overboard? I know balance is key, but sometimes even when I plan for those higher calorie indulges, once I'm there, I tend to eat more of it than I should. Should I give up the trigger foods all together? Any advice or tools you use for these situations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

For me, I'm not giving up __________ (insert trigger food) forever. So I am working on lifestyle changes now.

I used to go sugar free before the start of a diet.....and that helped me stay on a diet. Notice I said before the start of a diet.....like it was a regular habit of mine and not something that was sustainable. So, do what you need to do to stay on your diet....but eventually you need to develop tools to deal with trigger foods.

Pizza is not "bad".....I eat pizza all the time. But adding a salad with every pizza meal, getting only 1 meat topping, selecting thin crust.....these are permanent changes I can make to keep pizza calories under control. Logging helps you see the "price" of pizza.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Pizza and I had to break up. We will get back together when I feel differently.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I vote yes for giving up trigger foods altogether, at least for a while. Maybe forever. Even if you do occasionally give in and binge, it's better than bingeing regularly.

But I think some favorite high calorie foods are worth going over on calories now and then. Baby rack ribs are the one that springs to mind for me. These are just so high calorie that they will never fit into a balanced day for me. But I still eat them occasionally. Not as often as I'd like because I'd rather have none than only eat a tiny portion.

Pizza I eat more often, but I prefer pizza without a lot of greasy toppings so my pizza usually isn't crazy high calories. I can often make a 10 in pizza fit in my day
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why is Pizza bad? Make a homemade pizza so you control; all the ingredients and it's no more 'Bad' than any other meal
  • beritrocksmyuniverse
    Options
    I ONLY buy my trigger foods in small packages. For example, I buy a piece of pizza by the slice, or a single serving mini cupcake, or a small McDonalds fry. If something only comes in a larger package, I buy the smallest size available and immediately throw away all but a reasonable amount (unhealthy food is typically cheap food, so you shouldn't feel too bad about this).

So, YES, I think you can have pizza. But don't order a whole pizza. Go to Green Mill and order a slice (they deliver, too). This way you can indulge without having to have a ridiculous amount of self control. Even a single-serving slice at Sbarro is better than ordering and devouring an entire delivery pizza. You may be enticed by a good deal-- but it is not worth the extra calories.

Also, certain places list the calories on the menu by item. This makes it much easier to work in your treat without just throwing your hands up and giving up. I usually don't indulge if I can't find the nutrition facts and portion sizes. You'd be surprised how much a little research will help-- for example, cheese sticks at Toppers Pizza have way less calories than Papa Johns. It is worth looking up and making an educated choice.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Pizza and I had to break up. We will get back together when I feel differently.

I love this lol . . . . I personally had to remove these trigger foods from my life for a while until I could portion them and control how much I ate of them.

For me - I don't crave sugar, but you get me around some good old fatty caesar salad and some pizza hut pepperoni lovers pizza and I'm done . . . or bread anything. Even now, I could legitimately eat and eat and eat until I throw up but I don't because I have gained the control over it.

But that control didn't come right away - I had to not eat these things for months and months until I could "trust myself" around them. I could only trust myself when I had lost a good amount of weight and I was like really, do I want slice 3 and 4 or do I want to feel ok tomorrow (I have IBS, so some trigger foods will cause flare ups too) and be able to go to the gym. And I know one bad meal doesn't make you fat just like one healthy meal won't make you skinny but it's more just being able to see my progress that makes me not want it. It's all psychological unfortunately.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I tend to shop meal to meal, and only buy as much food as I can fit in my calories. For example, tonight I've planned pizza. I prelogged it, and it will be 845 calories in my 1800 calorie budget. I'm making my own this time, with a premade crust, black olives, capers, grilled lamb, and muenster cheese. I'll get to the eat the whole thing, and won't have to worry about "binging". Once it's gone, it's all gone, no more to sneak, and no more ingredients to make another one.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I no longer buy large pizzas, and I only get the medium or small when I have someone to share with.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Who told you pizza was bad??
  • tink11464
    tink11464 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I still eat pizza (and any other food I want). When we order pizza - I have them double cut the slices. When I eat 2 slices - it's really only one - - if I have 3 slices - - it's 1.5 regular slices. Usually after I eat the 1st 2 halves I am full. I guess I would have lost more than 90lbs in the past year or so if I didn't eat whatever I wanted - but I did lose without depriving myself of the foods I like. I say - eat what you like - as long as it fits your macros :)
  • lalawaterlala
    lalawaterlala Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love pizza so much. If I eat it, which is probably once a week, I try to make it as healthy as possible. For instance, I buy the pizza dough mix from a box and prepare it at home, use pizza sauce, and mozzarella cheese. Then I can add on veggies! Veggies when cooked have amazinnng benefits especially tomatoes. They release something called Lycopene which actually is a really powerful antioxidant that can help reduce chances of getting cancer, especially breast cancer!
    Making a pizza home-made always helps me know exactly what I'm eating without a bunch of preservatives from being in the freezer isle. Additionally, pizza that is bought from a take-out place is usually much higher in fat for some reason (not sure why) and the portion sizes are out of control which makes me want to over eat.

Hope this helps and I hope you try making your own home-made pizza!! I use jiffy pizza crust mix and it is about one dollar.

Cheers
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Why is Pizza bad? Make a homemade pizza so you control; all the ingredients and it's no more 'Bad' than any other meal

I want to do this vegan style, but I want to make my own dough. I need a bread maker and some good old fashioned novice chef courage!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I ONLY buy my trigger foods in small packages. For example, I buy a piece of pizza by the slice, or a single serving mini cupcake, or a small McDonalds fry. If something only comes in a larger package, I buy the smallest size available and immediately throw away all but a reasonable amount (unhealthy food is typically cheap food, so you shouldn't feel too bad about this).

I do this sometimes too. I normally HATE the idea of wasting anything at all but I have to admit, I recently bought a six pack of delicious apple soda from an Asian market and it's almost 150 cal per can. I pour out 1/2 before I drink it every time and feel no regret.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    This is where a very fit boyfriend with high metabolism comes in handy. I just get him to eat half (or more) of whatever indulgence I want. It's usually not difficult to convince him.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Pizza isn't bad...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    There's a place close by that sells pizza by the slice. They even have a lunch special with a salad and a drink. Last time we went there I ordered the lunch special with a perrier as my drink, pizza with spinach and garlic as sauce, three cheeses and red peppers as the topping. I still put crushed red pepper and parmesan on top. Then having the salad dressing on the side and sharing my salad with someone made it all a satisfying lunch, while the family had pepperoni slices and the garlic bread that came with my salad. Even if I had been in the mood for pepperoni this lunch still would have been lower cal compared to sitting in front of a box of delivered pizza eating slice after slice with a big two liter delivery soda to wash it down.

Ordering pizza by the slice forces you to have to get up for another slice and take your wallet out again. Plus maybe stand around waiting for it, by then your tummy may be informing your brain you've had enough. Sometimes we eat so fast we don't notice we are full until we are overfull. That's happened to me with pizza sometimes, but it doesn't happen when I order by the slice.