IIFYM vs. iifym.com

Options
So there's apparently this website: iifym.com. People hear/read other people talking about IIFYM and run to google and this is the first site they find. This appears to be a relatively regulated plan where people get to calculate their macros, calories, etc.

I wanted to create this post just to inform people that that website is NOT the one and only way to follow the IIFYM principle. As far as I can tell the IIFYM (If it fits your macros) acronym was first used on bodybuilding.com in 2005 or 2006 and that website has only been around since 2013 (that's the copyright on the bottom of the page and I don't remember it existing when I first started using this site in 2011).

IIFYM is simply setting macro nutrient goals in addition to a calorie goal and then eating food to meet those goals without making up various rules about when and what exacts of food to eat or exclude. This is just "flexible dieting" but with a focus on ensuring you get the required macro nutrients to maintain health and a desirable body composition. "Every thing in moderation" is a similar concept.

The website provides ONE way to do this but far from the only way. From what I've seen it actually goes pretty high on the protein which can be intimidating for a lot of people. It calculates 1 gram of protein for every pound of total body weight. I've read 0.8g-1g per pound of LEAN body weight on other sites. For me this is a difference of 160grams from iifym.com to 96grams. 96grams is easy to accomplish. 160grams, not so much.

I'd actually recommend going to this post instead to calculate your macros (although they go with the higher 1 rather than 0.8):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for posting this!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is a good post. Bumping.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I got my macros from one of the girls on the IIFYM Women's fb page...they are EXTREMELY helpful..it is a closed group.