I could use some 5k training advice

Options
I am running in my first ever 5k this October. I am currently running it in 32 min 22 seconds. that time includes 12-13 minutes of fast walking. By the end of July I should be running the entire thing. I am hoping that my time is around 26 - 28 minutes. Then I have all of August and September to train to increase my time and speed. I would really like to try and compete for a top 3 spot and medal in my age group (30-39). I am 39 years old. I am guessing that I will need to run it in about 20 - 22 minutes to compete against other runners. I know it might sound a little unreasonable to increase my time that much by then but a kids gotta dream right? :) Any advice on the BEST way to increase my running time? Mix in sprints? Run up hills? Bath in fish oil and eat only beef jerky?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You must be a super fast walker if 12-13 minutes of that is walking and you still finish at 32 minutes. That is impressive. I did a 5k a few weeks ago and there was a power walker who pretty much blew my mind. He was one of the people who I saw up ahead and thought "I'm going to pass him next" and it was not the easiest feat.

I think I would go for a mix of short fast runs, medium runs, and long slower runs. That seems like the most common running advice but it gives you the chance for some intervals/sprints as well as building up your endurance (which should make the "shorter" 5k seem easier in comparison) in addition to a normal everyday run. I'm not a super seasoned runner though so it will be interesting to read what others have to say.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    How many times and how many miles a week are you currently running?

Yes, cutting 3+ minutes per mile off your time is probably a pipe dream for that time frame, but there are things you can do to get faster. Exactly how you go about doing that depends on your current level of fitness.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    ^^^Yep, agreed.
  • amgerbin
    amgerbin Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The best advice I got before doing my first 5K so, so many years ago...take the few days off before it. I think I didn't run for 4 days before and I was full of energy. It definitely paid off. Later in life, when I attempted to train all the way to the race day, no matter how long the race was, I could tell that I didn't take the time off. Makes a HUGE difference!

Congrats and good luck! It's such a great goal to have!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Yes, cutting 3+ minutes per mile off your time is probably a pipe dream for that time frame, but there are things you can do to get faster. Exactly how you go about doing that depends on your current level of fitness.

+1

I started out running a 28-29min 5K in 2010, and 1.5 years of solid running up to now (I quit and picked back up in Jan 13) I'm consistently in the 19's now and placing occasionally. It's gonna take time and a s***-ton of dedication.

Check out this group too - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/57900-run-faster-5ks
    And http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/111-long-distance-runners
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I am running in my first ever 5k this October. I am currently running it in 32 min 22 seconds. that time includes 12-13 minutes of fast walking. By the end of July I should be running the entire thing. I am hoping that my time is around 26 - 28 minutes. Then I have all of August and September to train to increase my time and speed. I would really like to try and compete for a top 3 spot and medal in my age group (30-39). I am 39 years old. I am guessing that I will need to run it in about 20 - 22 minutes to compete against other runners. I know it might sound a little unreasonable to increase my time that much by then but a kids gotta dream right? :) Any advice on the BEST way to increase my running time? Mix in sprints? Run up hills? Bath in fish oil and eat only beef jerky?
    First thing is to go out and run more. Run the 3+ miles more often. Mix in some sprints. We like to do 400 and 800 repeats during 5k season.
    Simple.....jog for 300 or so meters....go all out for 400 meters. Walk 100 meters, jog 300 and go again. Do them as fast as you can and each week or two add another rep in.

If you want to really get your time down you just need more miles on your legs. I would get at least 4 runs in per week.

Will be tough to shave that much time off.
  • Jarrod4275
    Jarrod4275 Posts: 37
    Options

• Jarrod4275
    Jarrod4275 Posts: 37
    Options
    I run / walk 3-4 times a week. Every other day basically. I go 5-6 miles each time.
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Run at least 4 times per week. Mix it up. Some intervals, some slower runs and only 1 race pace run per week. You might also throw in a 4 or 5 mile run every now and then to build endurance then the 5K will seem short.
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I commend you for trying to medal in your first race - however, you should look at previous time for that specific race, understanding who will be entering. The 8K ( 5 miles) that I attended recently had people in your age category that ran that race right at 30 minutes (6 minute miles). I encourage you to think about personal best as your goals instead.
  • thavoice
    Options
    You say you run/walk 3-4 days per week.

That is pretty vague. How much are running without walking?

To really get that 5k time down you will need to run without the walk breaks to get the miles on your legs.

I would recommend running back to back, with a day off, and then start again. Ya just need to get those miles in and the time comes off pretty quick.

and btw...medaling is great but it depends on whom shows up that day! I finished 2nd in my age group a couple of years ago in our county 5k challenge for the summer. Beat the guy who finished first in 6 races but because he could run all 8 he gained more points. With that said.....if a certain other person showed up there was no way I was beating him as he could run it in 17 min!

I always just competed against my own times to be honest with ya. Keep the PR's for certain races. Believe it or not..some 5k's are shorter/longer than others and the course itself can have an effect!
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just got a new PR of 25:31 this 4th after having a 26:11 in my first 5K in June (3rd in my division with about 500 runners). This last race was crowded and it seem like I might have ran 3.5 miles with all the weaving around everyone else. Train on hills to build strength. I usually run over 20 miles in a week breaking it in 10, 5, 5, 3,1 before the race. The last mile is the day before the race and very slow to keep lose. I like to over train to make the 5K races more of just part of a training routine.

Also, until you run in an actual event, you might be fast in competition than you are in training. I have never broke under 28 in training, but always find the extra race day adrenaline.

Good luck and happy running.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Can't give you any running advice but wanted to say congrats on your goal. I do 5k power walks - the only way I've trimmed my time is to do them every day and try to shave 2-3 seconds off each day.

Best of luck to you!
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that you're motivated and gung-ho to have those goals. The standard way to speed is A) SAFELY increasing your overall weekly mileage, and B) doing some structured speedwork once a week or so, which might include hills, depending on how you go about it.

But first things first... I think your first goal should simply be to do your first ever 5K. Anything beyond that (time, placing, running the whole thing) is gravy.

After all, if someone has never played a single game of chess against another human being, they should probably worry about just doing that instead of about where they're going to place in the tournament. :tongue:

I feel that you really do need the experience of the race in order to set smart goals for the next one. A 5K race can be shockingly different from a 5K training run.

Remember, you're guaranteed to get a PR no matter what. :happy:
  • thavoice
    Options
    I just got a new PR of 25:31 this 4th after having a 26:11 in my first 5K in June (3rd in my division with about 500 runners). This last race was crowded and it seem like I might have ran 3.5 miles with all the weaving around everyone else. Train on hills to build strength. I usually run over 20 miles in a week breaking it in 10, 5, 5, 3,1 before the race. The last mile is the day before the race and very slow to keep lose. I like to over train to make the 5K races more of just part of a training routine.

Also, until you run in an actual event, you might be fast in competition than you are in training. I have never broke under 28 in training, but always find the extra race day adrenaline.

Good luck and happy running.

No doubt. Race times were always better than training that is for sure. And if ths is your first.....be careful not to start too fast! I have seen too many people blow their times by going too fast and dying in the last mile!
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Saving for later.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I run / walk 3-4 times a week. Every other day basically. I go 5-6 miles each time.

I would get to the point where you can run the entire time. After you can comfortably do that, then start to worry about speedwork, hills, etc. If you jump into it too early, you risk injury. After you have no problem running 20 miles/week, then start to think about fast stuff. At first, you will get faster just from better conditioning. Once you have built your muscles and joints up to the point where you can handle speed work, look into a 5k plan if that is your goal. Expect to do 400m, 800m and mile repeats. A lot of them. Try not to compare yourself to the other runners at this point. As someone else said, placing in races is largely due to who shows up. Worry about your time, that is the only thing you can control.

If your overall goal is to get to a 20 minute 5k (which is an admirable goal), manage your expectations, because it will probably take a while.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    yep what everyone is saying...get more miles in per week...dont neglect the long run...20+ miles a week should be ok.

I commend you for wanting to place...but like someone said check the times from previous races to see what those finishes are. For your first Id be more interested in setting a PR
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Many runners have given you good advice. Shaving 3 minutes per mile in that time frame is ambitious at best. And, your age group tends to be fairly competitive. My husband can't even come close to the 40-44 men in our area. He runs a decent 24:00 and he's out classed by 5:00 minutes most of the time. Check previous race stats to see if your goal time is even a top 3 placing. It's nice to win an age group award, don't get me wrong, but it would be a huge let down after all that work if you don't get it because the field is usually really really fast.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options

No doubt. Race times were always better than training that is for sure. And if ths is your first.....be careful not to start too fast! I have seen too many people blow their times by going too fast and dying in the last mile!

np.. my last mile is always faster than my first mile, but that might have something to do with the congestion