What keeps you motivated?

Options
What keeps you motivated? Why did you start in the first place?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i started because i hit my 21st birthday and i realized that i wasnt happy with my image and i had to take care of myself. i had just gotten out of a long term relationship so i suppose finding a new partner was part of it as well.
    i continue for the same reasons, although i have some new motivation now, such as never going back to the place i was physically 8 months ago, and a sort of positive pressure from my loved ones who continually remind me of how well im doing without even realizing that they are doing so.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Inspiring. thank you for sharing your story!
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I started because I was so unhappy with how I looked and how I felt. I am never in pictures and I refuse to let anyone take family pictures.

In March, I woke up on a random day and said today is the day I'm going to change my life.

What keeps me motivated is my progress and thinking about how exciting it's going to be to actually be in the pictures.

Another thing is my fitness level. I love to run and I have so much energy. I never want to get back to that person that was fat and tired all the time.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    That is amazing!.. I lost weight after i had my son 4 years ago.. so about 3 .. i hit my goal weight & didnt keep up with myself.. now i have 24 pounds to lose (which doesnt seem like much) i've been finding more and more excuses to not take care of myself.. i feel like i cant get myself out of this trap.. i tell myself every week that i'm gonna do this but by the end of the week i'm sabbotoshing myself.. I will do great for a week or two and fall right back into where i started.. I try to make goals, then i make excuses.. ugh...
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I got started because of gravity. Well, gravity and stairs...haha. Seriously though it got to the point where everyday tasks were just hard and exhausting. As my daughter started getting older and running around I noticed that I couldn't keep up with her and she was 3!!! I decided to get in shape for a few reasons. I want to set a positive example for my friends and family...I want to run around and be able to do anything my daughter wants me to do...and I want my wife to think i'm hot...lol

I stay motivated because the results are amazing. Eating healthy and keeping track of the calories really works quickly! The results are getting attention from everywhere now and I'm happy to report back to friends and family that it doesn't take a fad diet, or depriving yourself of things you want. You don't have to starve, or do anything complicated to get results. All it takes is being accountable and staying active and you can have a healthy body!

It was a struggle to start though...i litterally put my weight bench in front of my bed so that i had to trip over it every morning and every night...and every bathroom trip during the night. That got me started...and its just the initial 2 weeks thats the hardest. Once you pass those...you're on your way.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    What keeps me motivated? Nothing. It's a job that has to be done. I do it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What keeps you motivated? Why did you start in the first place?
    Motivation is fleeting. My health got me motivated Habit keeps me going
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    The first two weeks are definately the hardest.. i feel like i cant even make it through a full week...

I was thinking of getting a jar with marbles.. one marble (per pound) once all 25 are in the loss bucket go out and get myself a prize
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If I ever feel like my motivation is waving I just look at the success stories on the forum.
    I also have a couple of old photos of myself at a healthy weight to aim for.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I wanted to look not just ok, but awesome in a bikini. What keeps me motivated to maintain it is wearing a bikini--often! :wink:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I wanted to look not just ok, but awesome in a bikini. What keeps me motivated to maintain it is wearing a bikini--often! :wink:

This. Sexy is my motivation. :glasses:
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I also have this crazy thing top of my list to do when I reach a healthy weight.... I want to crowd surf. I've worked gigs and events for about 6 years but I've never ever been crowd surfing.
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What keeps me motivated is how easy it is to gain weight now that I have hypothyroidism. I gained over 25 pounds when I had to have my thyroid treated with Radioactive Iodine to shrink thyroid nodules. Since the treatment also shrinks the thyroid and pretty much kills off it's function, I have to be on Synthroid for the rest of my life. After I had the treatment, became severely hypothyroid, got on medication, reached my correct levels, I then developed a major problem with gluten. Between the hypothyroidism and the gluten problems, I spent about a year feeling absolutely awful every single day; extreme fatigue, intolerance to heat and cold, night vision deterioration, weight gain, muscle cramps, joint pain, hair loss. When my endocrinologist suggested I was having gluten problems, I cut out all gluten and within 2 weeks began to feel like a new person. I could exercise again because I wasn't so fatigued anymore. The daily pain in my muscles and joints disappeared totally, and my hair began growing thicker again and I no longer have a bald spot at the base of my hairline above my neck. Just remembering that year (from 12/2010 to 11/2011) is enough to to remind me I never want to feel that way again.

I've reached my weight loss goal (and then some) and now working on muscle building and strength training. I can honestly say that at 55, almost 56, I am in the best shape both weight-wise and health-wise than I have ever been in my life. Feeling so horrible for a year is my motivation for getting in the best shape I can.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    i got on here to get healthy and that meant losing weight and fat. Too much diabetes in my family. Didn't want to be dead at 58. Looking better was just a bonus. I look at photos of me a couple years ago and i can't believe I looked that fat! Now that I am at my goal weight more or less, I am trying to tone up what I have left and just keep getting better everydays. I have a couple of pics of me on the fridge of when I was fat to remind me what I could be again if I let the food take control instead of me controlling it. :happy:
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I wanted to increase my odds of living a longer, healthier and more productive life, as well as actually live long enough to see my daughter take over the world. My daughter was my inspiration. She's 8 and swam over a mile in one hour at her swim team's annual swim marathon. She didn't stop once. I just thought it was time for me to get my act together.

Didn't really have a motivation initially beyond watching the numbers on the scale gradually go down, but I've found learning about macros and how to fuel my body has been a really enjoyable experience.

Now my motivation is that I want to buy a decent winter coat that covers my thighs for this winter and I only want to buy it in one size because I'm cheap, so I have to shift the lard by the time the winter coats are in the stores.
  • PhiloPray
    PhiloPray Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i wanted to be healther. a doctor told me i was borderline diabetic. and i was unhappy with my body image. i also look at pics of the old me (which are only a year old or so) to keep me motivated and coming on these forums keeps me motivated.