Vinyasa Yoga calories burned

Options
Ok, does it annoy anyone else how low the calorie count for yoga is here on MFP? It say for me that an hour of yoga is a mere 145 calories burnt. I don't know what kind of yoga the creators of this site are doing, but it certainly isn't the kind we do at my studio!

I feel like I probably burn more like 300 per hour- and that's undershooting it! And a few sites that I've been to with the calculators agree with me! So, how do you think you could go about changing the app so that we can have a regular yoga & then a "power" or "vinyasa yoga"? Because this is just silly!

http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/activity/calculators/power_yoga/result?calculators=/health-fitness/activity/calculators/power_yoga&met=6.7&weightPounds=124&duration=60&activity=&submit.x=45&submit.y=18&submit=submit

Replies

• jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Im 5'5. 194lbs. In Hot Vinyasa yoga i burn about 210 for a 75min session. Thats with my HRM.
  • crosbymo
    crosbymo Posts: 15
    Options
    I agree with the first poster--I burn way more than 145 calories at my hot yoga! I would around350/hour--honestly even more when the teachers really kick your but or the room is extra hot or stuffy. The classes are usually 75 minutes, but oftentimes the instructors go over.
  • crosbymo
    Options
    If I was to do vinyasa yoga at home though, so not in a heated room, I would probably say 250 an hour? I don't know, but practicing at home is definitely less of a work out for me.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I agree! I do Hot and Vinyassa Yoga at a studio, and I burn way more than 145 calories. I work up a serious sweat, and my muscles are shaking afterwards. I put in power yoga or hot yoga and my calories are higher than that.
  • KatyFace9801
    KatyFace9801 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    so, today I tried a new studio for a vinyasa class & I feel like I probably burned about the 145 mark, but this is not the style I usually like. This was basically stretching the whole time & I was so bored! I never do sweaty yoga, but when I do Power yoga I'm so spent by the end!
  • bagelc
    bagelc Posts: 3
    Options
    Ask your yoga teacher for an estimate
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am 5’3” and 140lbs and burn about 150 calories per 75 minute power or vinyasa yoga class. I was estimating for a while that I was burning around 300 calories because I thought the MFP calculation was too low … so wrong! I have been wearing my HRM and the number that MFP says is absolutely accurate. SUPER disappointing, but hey, yoga has done a lot of good for me so it is not that big of a deal. But no, you probably aren’t burning a lot.

But keep doing it! : )
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first poster--I burn way more than 145 calories at my hot yoga! I would around350/hour--honestly even more when the teachers really kick your but or the room is extra hot or stuffy. The classes are usually 75 minutes, but oftentimes the instructors go over.

:( That is what I thought too. Last night was really difficult and I worked up an intense sweat – and burned around 150 calories. That is it. Sorry guys! Wear an HRM to class once.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    The differences you guys are suggesting really aren't very significant. Continue practicing yoga for its other benefits.
  • crosbymo
    Options
    I am assuming there is a calorie difference between yoga that is done in a heated room (oftentimes 100-105 degrees + 40% humidity) and a yoga class done in a fitness studio. I don't see how there isn't! Personally, I feel like I get a harder work out in a hot class. And I obviously sweat more.

It's also annoying that Bikram yoga isn't a separate entity in MFP.

Regardless of the calories, I love yoga. I feel so accomplished after a class compared to doing 30 min on the elliptical!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm doing other exercises, I don't log yoga anymore. I wore my HRM and in 45 minutes I only burned 100 calories. That's not worth logging unless I can log my cardio and weight lifting in the same day. If yoga is the only thing I'm doing that day, I am doing it for the shear pleasure and chakra cleansing.
  • troelsandtheis
    troelsandtheis Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid the MFP is accurate, obviously there are I some variants based on the he yoga you're doing, some yoga practices are even less than stated but not many are much more. Doing it in a hot room doesn't make a bit of difference to how many calories you burn either, it feels harder but you're not doing any more. Hot yoga can make you over stretch and damage muscles and it feels way more difficult coping in the heat but that's about the only difference. I do yoga every day, a variety of different styles and paces each day and I do log it but sometimes I only log half an hour rather than the hour in case it's actually overestimating for some of hue he slower classes. I see it as a good warm up for other exercise, I often do it before a run.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Those numbers are not remotely accurate.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I think it is probably a bit low for me too, but I'm okay with that, because I don't need to eat back all the calories anyway!