Pizza and the other bad things that we love

Options

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Pizza
    love it! However one needs a strategy. You can ask for a box, cut your pizza in half, and eat the other half on a day you exercise alot. Put it in the freezer as soon as you get home, so you won't be tempted to finish it off. My husband orders pizza every week when we go out. He can never finish it and expects me to, so I order myself a salad and eat 1/3 of his pizza, plus we split a desert. I used to agonize over going out, and fight with him, trying to refuse to eat his pizza. Now I fit it in, log it all, and relax and enjoy. :drinker:
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    If you find that moderation is a problem once you've got the pizza (or whatever) in front of you, then plan for it. Go over your goal by 1000 calories that meal and go under your goal by 250 for the next 4 days, for example.
    Saturday, I couldn't help it any longer...I hadn't had pizza in months and everywhere I turned I kept seeing pizza commercials, people mentioned pizza, my daughter wanted some pizza, a giant pizza chased me and tackled me and forced me to eat it in my dream....

So I got an extra large pepperoni and sausage pizza (half cheese for the daughter) and I ate half of it which was 1800 calories in itself. Sure it set me back half a week but now I don't feel like pizza anymore...haha.

You just need to be mindful, consistent, and maintain a balanced approach to your binge foods. Fitness is a long term goal...you can't get huge from falling off the wagon every once in a while...just make sure you hop back on. Also, depriving yourself of the awesomeness of pizza will drive you insane. Deprivation makes you want it more...and continued deprivation will just make you hate your diet and quit.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Unless it's poisoned, or expired, there are no bad foods.

I make room for things in my day and use practice moderation. Cutting foods out of my life isn't an option, so I taught myself to control portions.
  • khelm31
    khelm31 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I noticed many of you brought up pizza, LOL! Most often I am ordering more than just enough for me because my husband loves it, and fortunately for him, he has never had a weight problem. He is always open to trying healthier options so I may just have to tell him we are going to forgo the convenience of the fast food pizzas for a while till I get back on track. If we want pizza, we will have to make a homemade, healthier version or go for the lean cuisine pizzas!

I do like the suggestions also to up the exercise or make up for it somewhere else if I over indulge in something. It is all about balance, but I think if I really think about how I might have to cut back more the next day or exercise a lot more to make up for something, that may make me stop before I dive in.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I like IIFYM, but there are some things I have eliminated because I don't have good boundaries about them, or they are COMPLETELY empty calories (like sour candy, I LOVE sour candy). We make naan bread or pita pizza semi-regularly and it has proven delicious. We also splurge on whatever we want (for me, usually pasta from my favourite restaurant) once in awhile, with planning, and we order pizza once in awhile and break it up into meals (i.e. we take two slices, pack the rest for lunches before we eat, etc). Whatever works for you, take the advice you need and if it doesn't work for you, let it go.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I screw up sometimes when things are available that I love to especially eat too. Pizza and Chinese take-out are some of my triggers!!

What usually works for me is to do an hour or so of cardio on the days I know I'll be eating those things. And a light breakfast and/or lunch. That way I can have 2 slices of pizza, or even three without blowing everything out of the water for the day.

You have to enjoy the things you like, but just keep it more or less in plan :) JMHO.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Another option is to make up for the overage in advance - that's my preferred method. Know I'm going to go over somewhat on the weekends, and either eat a little less every day of the week or throw in some extra exercise. Motivates me to get my butt working, too, if I know that it means I can have a nice dessert, or try that new restaurant without even thinking about feeling guilty.

If I don't do that (I didn't last week because the gym's air conditioner was down for repairs all week), then I try to eat less after the fact. Rarely, I'll just let it go, because any overeating I do usually just erases a day's deficit and that's acceptable to me on occasion. Like this past Sunday. Had yummy pizza, managed to keep dinner and dessert in check, but stayed up late and didn't want to go to bed hungry and the snack put me over. Oh, well. This week I'll be back on track.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I don't have much in the way of cr@ppy food in the house. Some crisps (mostly always consumed by the other half to have with his lunches)
    Pop tarts - I have to eat on days when I have loads fo calories spare from working out.
    Meringue nests that I am currently enjoying daily with yoghurt and strawberries in a big eton mess style pud. Other than that there is nothing particularly bad.

Why don't you learn to make your own versions of triggers foods or the bad stuff that you love, but making it much healthier and less calorific by having control of the ingredients? Like I said about with the Eton mess thing, it's a massive bowl of joy that comes in at around 200 calories. Hits all the spots and isn't all that bad for me.

I also eat pizza at least once every fortnight, but I make my own base and there is nowt much wrong with tinned tomatoes reduced as a sauce with 30g of mozerella and chicken or tuna topping.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think once in a while is fine with those bad foods, but the problem is most people can't control themselves. And once in a while becomes once every other day, then every day and you've wasted any progress you've made. Though, I honestly believe that setting a goal of when you'll get to cheat, helps alot. Say I go Saturday to Thursday, exercise and maintain my calories, I get to cheat on Friday. If I dont then I dont get to cheat.

However, what works for me, might not work for others, it's all in what you can hande.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    In general, I try to make homemade versions of the restaurant food I love. That way I know exactly what is going into it and can control the calories and other macros to make it fit my day. I also find that generally it tastes better to me because the ingredients are fresher.

I still do get restaurant/fast food/carryout, but probably only about 25% of the amount I used to get, and it is generally either due to a specific item that I can't recreate, or because I am travelling.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    um, yeah, sadly...there's not balance for me.

Foods that screw me up are off the menu, end of story :drinker: This way is not for everyone, but it's for me & I'm pretty happy with that.:drinker:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I buy a couple slices and that's it. Same with baked goods now, I just make half the recipe or something, otherwise it's just all gone.
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Now I want pizza!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what's inherently "bad" about pizza. My goal is to eat some for dinner.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    For me, there are certain foods that I'm just better off not having around me. These include real pizza (as opposed to kid pizza), fried chicken, peanuts and, brownies. Oddly enough, I can control potato chips, chocolate and, even ice cream just fine even though I'm crazy about them too.

Take chicken for example: if its rotisserie, I can eat two pieces or so and stretch out the bird over 3 or four days. If it's fried chicken, I just keep eating and eating!

Triggers are different for everyone and we all have to figure out a way to manage them.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I should tell my 90+ year old Italian grandparents that pizza is bad..........but I don't wanna sleep with da fishes
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I often make 'pizza' out of a pita bread, some sauce, lowfat mozzarella and half a serving of pepperoni. I eat it at least three times a week because it's quick and easy, and gives me that pizza experience without a whole lot of calories.
  • TheMannon
    TheMannon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do a whole lot of eating healthy, or healthier, versions of the foods I love (thanks Jenno O). And the food database on this site is a great tool for planning – you’d be surprised at what you can eat and stay within your calorie goals – I had a half rack of ribs and mashed taters the other night for just about 700cals, for example. For pizza, if you get thin or hand-tossed crust, go with veggie toppings while limiting the meats, you can stay under 350 cals per slice – a medium supreme hand tossed from dominos has ~1800 cals total, for example (before you even start Mr Annoying Pizza Snob, it’s just illustrative).
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    This is where a very fit boyfriend with high metabolism comes in handy. I just get him to eat half (or more) of whatever indulgence I want. It's usually not difficult to convince him.

^This :laugh:

I eat what I want in moderation. Usually I'll indulge a bit and then my husband aka the human garbage disposal will eat the remaining of whatever pizza, cookie, ice cream, etc I didn't eat.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have pizza at least once a week. There are no bad foods.