Are some people not meant to be thin

Options

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I think you should look at your body fat %. Again, some bodies like a little more than others but I think that would be a much better gage on where you really are. If you are 5'5" with a 20% body fat, well..for a women...that is good, you can maybe go lower..what if you are at 15% body fat? Then you don't have a lot more room to lose anything because you are muscle.

QFT
  • olrunner56
    Options
    if you are exercising lots and only eating 1200 you might find that you will lose if you eat some of the exercise calories.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Every human body on the planet can become thin given the time and a calorie deficit. There are no special snowflakes concerning this issue. Some medical issues can make weight loss more difficult but even they can become thin.

I don't disagree...but you know everyone has slightly different view of "being thin" and different goal weight...that's just how things are. Realistic or not, that's beside the point.
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist or anything of the sort, but I can speak anecdotally: growing up one of my close friends and I ate very similar diets, did similar sports and just generally had a similar level of fitness. As adults we have continued to have close lifestyles. She is shorter than me but about 30lbs heavier. She is incredibly healthy - in fact she's a yoga teacher. If you look at her family they look like her, if you look at my family, we are all ectomorphs. Can anyone be THIN? Probably. Will that always be the healthiest place for a body? Likely not.

But OP, I think you're really asking - can YOU be thin. That's something for you to determine by listening to your body and doing what feels right. Reevaluate your diary, try a new kind of exercise, practice loving your body as it transitions. Thin is just an incredibly subjective term, healthy is a golden goal.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    In addition to different builds, I think we also have our individual standards of what we consider acceptably "thin" as well. Some women are happy to carry some extra weight, as long as they are proportionate and can fit into a reasonable size of clothing. Others want to be really ripped and toned and invest in gym time in order to be that way. It goes without saying that people have unhealthy individual standards of what's "thin enough" as well and take it too far.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Basically, yes. Go back 100 years ago and 1/3 of people were overweight. Look at wild animals, they are not all of the same size for any given species. Genetics has an effect on people's weight (if you disagree with this, search for information on identical twins and weight). Some people are just 'meant' to be not thin, just the same way some aren't tall or don't have a lot of muscles (myself included in that category).

As to whether you want to be thin, that's another story. If you want to be thin, and you're struggling, aim to reach goal weight a year from now and see how that goes. Yes, it's a long time but it's a hell of a lot easier than 3 months or so.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I think there is some validity to the theory that people have a set / settling point for their weight and varying a large amount from that is so difficult as to be pointless in the return you get.

Thin ain't all that.
  • albayin
    Options
    In addition to different builds, I think we also have our individual standards of what we consider acceptably "thin" as well. Some women are happy to carry some extra weight, as long as they are proportionate and can fit into a reasonable size of clothing. Others want to be really ripped and toned and invest in gym time in order to be that way. It goes without saying that people have unhealthy individual standards of what's "thin enough" as well and take it too far.

this^^
  • seangd25
    seangd25 Posts: 3
    Options
    How are you doing? I read your post and would like to know where you are now with your weight loss / fitness goals?
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I said that a lot back in the day. "I am big boned"... I have a "big frame". Come to find out.. after losing 50 lbs I have a much smaller frame than I thought. YOu might want to check out....

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

It is an ideal weight tracker for your body type..

Just wanted to say thanks for this. Very helpful.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Just wondering. I've hit a plateau at about 148-150lbs. I can't get past 148.

Do you think you would continue to plateau if you suddenly found yourself in, say, Somalia?

Of course not.

You *can* lose more weight, if you want to.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I do not believe this for one fraction of a second. I think it's the biggest cop-out in the world. My mom tried using this mentality on me, saying girls in our family are just genetically programmed to have big butts, fat thighs, and cellulite covering them, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Well guess what, I lost my jiggly butt, no longer have fat thighs, and got rid of all the cellulite covering them. People who say this--like my mom--I'm pretty sure are just using it as a defense mechanism and excuse to avoid putting in the hard work that losing weight takes.

Edited to add: This does not mean that I am not limited by my genetics in any way. We all are to a certain degree. I am not fine-boned, so I will probably never weigh under 106 lbs, despite being EXTREMELY short (5'0") and lean. I will never have Giselle Bundchen's legs, because my thighs are so muscular they could never get that slender, and they will never magically grow 6", so I will always have stumpy-short legs. There are certain things you have to accept about your body, and just be the best you YOU can be.

I've almost responded to this thread a number of times today. This is sort of the way I was leaning, that "not meant to be" is a cop out for the most part. I think partly because this poster and I have had similar experiences.
    I used to think that I was meant to be bigger. Then I started training for a figure competition. Low and behold, when I was actually diligent about my diet and exercise, the weight I couldn't move before started to come off.

It does come down to what your concept of "thin" is. I can be very lean, with abs but I will never wear a size 2 or 4 in pants. Without sacrificing a good amount of muscle mass, I will never be tiny. I would still consider myself thin.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I said that a lot back in the day. "I am big boned"... I have a "big frame". Come to find out.. after losing 50 lbs I have a much smaller frame than I thought. YOu might want to check out....

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

It is an ideal weight tracker for your body type..

Sorry Op, I don't have much to add to your original question but I checked this out out of curiosity...it told me I would need to lose 14lbs in order to be "ideal". Down to 90-99lbs. Not sure I would put too much faith in this. Its better to just go by how you feel and look imho.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Same here.

Fat since childhood.
    Assumed I was "big boned".
    Lost a lot of weight in my late teens.
    Got to a great weight for a large framed man.
    Had tons of fat left.
    Discovered that I actually am a medium framed guy.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    What does "thin" mean?
    Yes! Thin is in the eye of the beholder.

People tell me I'm thin now, I tell them I'm healthy!
  • MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thin is over rated.

Go for strong and healthy.
  • albayin
    Options
    What does "thin" mean?
    Yes! Thin is in the eye of the beholder.

People tell me I'm thin now, I tell them I'm healthy!

I wish people had told me that I were thin I would have stopped whining and beaing myself up for not being "thin". LOL
  • albayin
    Options
    Thin is over rated.

Go for strong and healthy.

don't mind having all three...:flowerforyou:
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Just wondering. I've hit a plateau at about 148-150lbs. I can't get past 148. I am 26 and looking back I've always been on the thick side since I was a baby. I've never been thin. Maybe I'm not suppose to be. I'm getting frustrated not being able to lose more weight. I started at 170 in feburary. Since May I've been at 150 and u keep losing and gaining the same pound. I've been restricting what I eat to only 1200 calories and still nothing.

Read This: This:

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/06/when-a-calorie-is-not-just-a-calorie/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_calorie_is_a_calorie
  • Odinisgod
    Odinisgod Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    At 5' 5" a "healthy" weight range would be 111-150 lbs, based on BMI standards.

If it were me, and I couldn't seem to get below the high end of the healthy weight range without making myself miserable, I'd probably just be happy with that, and try to maintain.