Running and Weight Loss

Options
I have been running for about 9 weeks now. I just started week 8 of C25K and had to repeat week 4. I have noticed no weight loss, not much change in measurements, but people at work are noticing a difference. I eat clean about 80/20 and try to hit my macros as best I can. Lately, I've been taking care of my Dad so I fell off the wagon a bit.

What can I do to start dropping the pounds? I am getting really discouraged and I try to focus on the positives that running has given me. I can actually run more than a couple minutes at a time (up to 28 now!!) and I am really enjoying this new freedom and exercise. But I know a lot of people transform their bodies with running and I wonder how since obviously my body is stubborn.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is all about eating fewer calories than you burn. You cannot outrun a poor diet. If you really want to lose weight you will come in every day right at your MFP calorie goal.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Could be water retention. It could be you're eating more than you think and are closer to maintenance than you are to your loss goal (a common occurrence when increasing exercise). It could also be the result of overestimated burns.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    @SherryTeach I don't really have a poor diet, I eat pretty clean.
    @brianpperkins overestimating burns is a good point, I didn't really think of that.

I did Insanity last year and I wasn't losing, and a friend who is a trainer told me I wasn't eating enough and I needed to eat back my exercise calories. Once I did that, the weight started coming off. I ended up losing 35 pounds during the program. So should I stop eating these calories back or continue? So confusing.
  • whitehusky3
    Options
    I used to be a runner. I can't anymore because of a knee injury from work, and I miss it a LOT. I remember I weighed 193 pounds when I first began C25K. I followed that for a month and didn't lose any weight. Then I found this 12-week program from a running book and decided to follow that instead. Immediately, I began losing weight. It was 1 pound to 1 1/2 pounds per week. I was 161 pounds by the time winter hit and I stopped running.

I never did pick up running again and I've gained a ton of weight as result of the knee injury. Now I'm up to 219 pounds.

Running is a great way to lose weight, but if you're following C25K, you won't lose weight from it right away. You will lose weight by the time you get to the end of it, or if you increase the number of intervals you do.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    C25K makes calculating burns a bit tricky. It's an interval program which makes HRMs inaccurate. Accurate calculations require detailed tracking of your run and walk distances. At this point it is probably better to lowball your burn estimates until you can just run without walking intervals.

The best thing you can do is reevaluate your numbers. Set a realistic weekly loss goal, then accurately log everything in and out to meet your net caloric goal. Eating "clean" really doesn't mean a thing if you're not accurately tracking amounts in. Weigh, measure, track everything and hit your net goals.
  • taylorjordank
    Options
    It could possibly be that your body is becoming adapted to the running.. Maybe try doing other types of workouts to get your burn on! Maybe swimming or bicycling! If you do the same thing over and over your body will become adapted to it and your fitness will as they call it "plateau". When I was training for my 5k I switched out running outdoors with workout/strength videos indoors. It worked wonders! Good luck!
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    It could possibly be that your body is becoming adapted to the running.. Maybe try doing other types of workouts to get your burn on! Maybe swimming or bicycling! If you do the same thing over and over your body will become adapted to it and your fitness will as they call it "plateau". When I was training for my 5k I switched out running outdoors with workout/strength videos indoors. It worked wonders! Good luck!

Your post made beer shoot out my nose because it was so laughably flawed. Nobody gets "adapted to it" in the short term the OP has been working through C25K. If that were the case, nobody would progress to run a marathon or participate in the Tour de France.
  • ebailey710
    Options
    @whitehusky3 I am sorry you had to stop running, it is such a fun activity! I plan to continue running past C25K. Some girls at work are talking about training for a half, and I am interested in working towards that. The 12 week program you are describing sounds interesting too.

@brianpperkins This is my second week of straight running, only walking to warm up and cool down. I am really enjoying being able to run the whole time, something I never thought I would do.

Thank you to everyone who gave advice. I guess I will just pay more attention to my calorie logging and be patient and reap the other benefits running has to offer. Feel free to add me if you like, I could definitely use the support and I log pretty much every day.
  • missemmibelle
    missemmibelle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I lost 35lbs with a combination of C25k and food logging, about 3 years ago.

I remember I had to log because my runs resulted in a post workout binge :-D I ate better, to be sure, but allowed myself too many allowances.

My guilty pleasure is beer and wine, which is a weight-loss killer. You may have something like that, that is worse than you thought. I know my 20% would stall progress :-D
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Running doesnt really help you lose weight. But it will help you look better, feel fitter, and is a great stress-reliever.

Look to your diet for dropping pounds.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm at the same place as you in the program and even though i've been monitoring my food too i havn't really notice my weight drop a huge amount

i have noticed things seem to be fitting a bit better though, people at work have commented that i'm looking slimmer so it might be that i'm losing inches rather than weight, maybe we're just toning up rather than dropping pounds?
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Eating clean or not doesn't make a difference if you're not eating at a calorie deficit - you need to eat less than you burn for weight loss. Are you weight, measuring and logging your food? If not then that's the reason most likely.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Running most definitely can help you lose weight. I am a living example of losing 40 pounds by doing nothing but marathon training and successfully completing it. Having said that, you still need to eat at a calorie deficit. No matter how "clean" your diet is, if the portions are too big, you will not lose weight. Good luck!
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I think many websites vastly overestimate how many calories running burns. I go by this calculation, and it seems to be accurate for me:

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

If you're overestimating your burn and eating those calories back, you might just be eating too much (even if the foods are healthy).
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Eating clean or not doesn't make a difference if you're not eating at a calorie deficit - you need to eat less than you burn for weight loss. Are you weight, measuring and logging your food? If not then that's the reason most likely.

THIS!

I used to run marathons and thought that with all of the training I did I could eat whatever I wanted. Not so! Weigh and log your food; when you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
  • ebailey710
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I have been paying more attention today and am feeling less discouraged. Just gotta keep putting one foot in front of the other!
  • cindypetty01
    cindypetty01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been running for couple of months now. I run 2-4 miles 2-3x's week. I also walk at a brisk pace (4-5 miles; 2x's a week). No cardio 1 day per week. In addition, I started working with weights 2-3 times per week. No weight loss. I've been reading a lot about not eating enough calories and eating back calories burned. Can someone please help me with this? Am I not eating enough? Eating too much?

My stats are: according to calculations at my gym.
    BMI 24
    Fat 29
    LBM 116
    RMR 1356 - 1402

I log my food daily. I eat clean; raw veggies, good protein, good fats. Most days I consume 1200-1300 calories.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you so much.

Cindy
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    I've been running for couple of months now. I run 2-4 miles 2-3x's week. I also walk at a brisk pace (4-5 miles; 2x's a week). No cardio 1 day per week. In addition, I started working with weights 2-3 times per week. No weight loss. I've been reading a lot about not eating enough calories and eating back calories burned. Can someone please help me with this? Am I not eating enough? Eating too much?

BMI 24
    Fat 29
    LBM 116
    RMR 1356 - 1402

I log my food daily. I eat clean; raw veggies, good protein, good fats. Most days I consume 1200-1300 calories.

Thank you so much.

Cindy

Are you measuring, weighing, your food or trusting labels/eyballing portions? What do you think you're burning per run? How are you calculating it?
  • bingbingwing89
    bingbingwing89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

BMI 24
    Fat 29
    LBM 116
    RMR 1356 - 1402

Thank you so much.

Cindy

Are you measuring, weighing, your food or trusting labels/eyballing portions? What do you think you're burning per run? How are you calculating it?

^^This! If you are not weighing food with a scale, your calorie count will be inaccurate. Weight loss is about burning more cals than you eat - whether you create the deficit through running or diet or a combination.

I am training for a half marathon where my long runs are upwards of 15 miles. I am not losing weight because I'm eating at maintenance level. I've lost weight doing exercise videos which are less strenuous than running. It's all about the deficit.
  • cindypetty01
    cindypetty01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, as best as I can. I have a fitbit that helps with logging when I walk. I log my activity on my FitBit for any other activity. I know it's not exactly accurate so I tend to knock off a 100-200 calories burned at the end of the day.

I met with a nutritionist yesterday...he seems to think I'm not eating enough. Trying to consume more calories and though today is the first day, I'm struggling getting in calories...I'm just not hungry. Feel like I'm forcing myself to eat. lol