How often should a person weigh themselves?

Options
I have been working out everyday and eating less. I have weighed myself everyday for 3 days straight and haven't seen a change in the scale. I feel like I have lost weight since I started because my clothes for better. Am I weighing myself too often? Why have I not seen any weight loss for 3 days ?

Replies

• comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    3 days is nothing. Fat loss will be insignificant over this period, meanwhile water can vary quite a bit - your body can even hold onto more water while fat is lost, adding pounds to the scale.

I weigh myself every morning but only for consistency. It helped me realise I hold water weight after high carb days, little things like that. The important thing is that given steady habits, each week or two averages a little lower than the previous ones.
  • TierraButler
    TierraButler Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    At least every other day. Good luck!!!!
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It takes time. Give it a few weeks to see a change.

I like to weigh myself everyday but I only look at the general trend and not day to day fluctuations. I think most people weigh themselves once a week.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    How often SHOULD a person weigh themselves?

Not so often that they get stressed out over fluctuations caused by all sorts of reasons

Not so infrequently that when they eventually weigh themselves and if they haven't lost any, they get upset/stressed

Everyone is different...
  • sandryc
    sandryc Posts: 33
    Options
    Once a week is good for me. I can get really frustrated by the fluctuations on the scale. I have to keep telling myself that success over a long term is important and the number on the scale today doesn't matter if a eat healthy and maintain an average calorie deficit I *will* lose weight. So I try to not to emphasize even the weekly weigh in.

Some people weight daily and are fine with that. For me that sparks an unhealthy reaction because the fluctuations freak me out.
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different, as it is a mental thing. Some people can push through seeing the scale fluctuate and some would rather see a consistent loss every fortnight or month.

I personally weigh in everyday and then average out my weight for the week. This for me balances out the fluctuations and gives me an indication of my average weight for the week. Whatever you are comfortable with, go for, there is no right and wrong in this case :)
  • mwery88
    mwery88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I weight myself once a week, but just because I tend to get discouraged if I weight myself every day. I think it just depends on your own personal preference.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    While losing weight, every week or two.

In maintainance I weigh everyday, in the morning, after I pee but before I drink coffee. I look for trends, upward or downward. After weighing, I enter my weight into mfp, and drink my folgers.
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Not so often that they get stressed out over fluctuations caused by all sorts of reasons

Not so infrequently that when they eventually weigh themselves and if they haven't lost any, they get upset/stressed

Everyone is different...

ditto :)
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Daily, weekly, monthly.

I'd suggest not multiple times a day though.
  • lelyke
    lelyke Posts: 47
    Options
    Depends, I do it everyday to see the gradual falling trend. A very high reading makes me want to workout more, a very low reading makes me satisfied with my workout.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    As (in)frequently as you wish.

For me, I pop onto the scale from time to time for a spot check, but the only one I track is the Sat AM weigh-in. It gives me a consistent 7-day tally, which is good enough for me.
  • cali8_love
    cali8_love Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self in ones a week every Friday :)
  • lightandflight
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and write it on my calendar. BUT, I only count Sundays as my log-able weight. For me, not wanting to get on the scale is a sign that I need to get back on the wagon, like a bell weather. But I don't take small fluctuations seriously, so it doesn't psych me out like it does some people.
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have been working out everyday and eating less. I have weighed myself everyday for 3 days straight and haven't seen a change in the scale. I feel like I have lost weight since I started because my clothes for better. Am I weighing myself too often? Why have I not seen any weight loss for 3 days ?

If not seeing a change for three days upsets you, weighing every day is probably too often for you.

I like to weigh once a month, but I think once a week is much more common. I prefer less frequent weigh ins because it helps me focus on being healthier, not on the scale going down. I try to squeeze as many fruits and vegetables into my day as I can (not today, but normally), stay in my calorie range, and make sure almost all my fats are good fats, and trust that the scale will take care of itself.
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale kept in my house (thank heavens, I can totally understand how people can get obsessed) so I just weigh myself at the gym whenever I have a 20p coin on me as it costs 20p a time. This usually works out about every 10 days to 2 weeks but I've gone months at a time. I'm at my goal weight now so it's simply a check that I'm maintaining and not losing anymore/gaining. My clothes aren't afraid to let me know if I'm gaining though. :noway:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options

Everyone is different...

My regular schedule is every other week. I did that throughout weight loss. Right now I'm reducing body fat. I weight myself, measure, take a picture every week.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    You are not gonna see much in only three days… That's hardly enough time to get a caloric deficit sufficient that it will show on the scale. And besides, fluctuations occur from day to day and within the day. LIving on the scale will drive you crazy! I suggest once a week. Same time each week. Same time of day.