People who have had success through fitness pal

Options
Can I ask did you just diet with no exercise or with exercise? How much exercise did you do (how Long for per day and how many times a week) how many calories a day was you eating and how long did it take you to reach your goal? Thanks

Replies

• Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I would say I diet to lose the weight. I exercise so that what is left on my body looks better.I know from your previous posts you aren't keen on exercise but I promise if you can find one thing you like doing it all changes for you.I tried lots of different exercises before I came to swimming.But when I found the right one for me suddenly I got it. Everything that everyone would say about feeling better and feeling more focused happened for me. Just keep trying new workouts and it will come. Also join a gym if you can.I have found that the community(at least in my gym ) is so supportive. You can do this.
  • Murphy0126
    Murphy0126 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I haven't reached my goal yet, but I'll chime in.

In the beginning I did zero exercise. I wanted my nutrition to become second nature to me. I didn't want to struggle with eating healthier and counting calories PLUS an exercise routine.

I set my limit at 1950 calories, and began my journey. I weighed EVERYTHING, gave up drinking anything that wasn't water, tea, or protein powder shakes, and incorporated healthier options without giving up my snacks.

I did this for 18 weeks. Lost 78 pounds in this time period I do believe, and then I started to incorporate weight training and cardio into my day.

At first, I did a full body weight training workout three times a week, with 15 minutes on the elliptical twice a week. Once that became mundane I began doing a upper/lower split 4 times a week, with the elliptical 25 minutes threee times a week. Then when I got to around 90 pounds lost I decided I was going to run a half-marathon in September so I began training for that.

I'm also a competitive powerlifter, so I do heavy compound exercises once weekly. So for example, Mondays I'll incorporate deadlifts into my routine for 8 sets, Tuesday I'll do bench press for 8, and Wednesday or Thursday I'll do squats for 8. I never do these more than once a week to allow my body to recover after putting such a large load on it.

So currently, my exercise routine is a 4 day upper/lower split. I have one dedicated leg day, with the other leg day being dedicated as well, but I'll also throw in some quick multi-joint compound exercises for my upper body just to get the blood flowing. I'll run 45-60 minutes 5 days a week, increasing every week.

Biggest thing you need to remember is not how many sets or reps you do, not what kind of exercises you do, not how you messed up by eating that bowl of ice cream, NO NO NO... the biggest thing is 'consistency'. Any amount of movement and any positive fluctuation in your nutrition is going to yield results in the long run. Establish a routine (both nutritional and physical) that you can maintain for the rest of your life!

Good luck!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight, you have to be in a calorie deficit. When you exercise it can help build the deficit but 2 things are true: You will never outrun a bad diet and exercise is more for health. There are over 4 million people on this site and each one has a different body than you do. Rather than trying to copy someone's plan - make your own.

Read these links and work on understanding how you should make this happen for YOU:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I lost weight with diet alone. Then I got to goal weight and was unhappy with how I looked. Now I lift at least 3 days per week. I do some stretching/mobility most days, and I walk for cardio (I used to run but I'm dealing with chronic illness so for right now it's a NOPENOPENOPE).

I'd recommend that you find some kind of exercise that you enjoy. It's helped me tremendously with maintenance, because once you get to your goal weight it can be hard to stay on track if you're just getting on the scale and hoping to see no change at all. Exercise allows for non-weight-based goals so you still have something toward which to strive.

That said, it's not necessary for weight loss. Follow those links _gypsyrunner_ posted.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight, you have to be in a calorie deficit. When you exercise it can help build the deficit but 2 things are true: You will never outrun a bad diet and exercise is more for health. There are over 4 million people on this site and each one has a different body than you do. Rather than trying to copy someone's plan - make your own.

Read these links and work on understanding how you should make this happen for YOU:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

This..... Weight loss can and will be obtained with a proper diet alone, all you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. Exercise should be thought of more for health and fitness not a means to lose weight... I eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight but I eat more food when exercising to fuel my body for the demands I am asking of it to do... And definitely do not try to copy someone else plan thinking that is all you have to do because even though the laws of thermodynamics apply to each and everyone the same, how we get there as an individual is going to be slightly different for each and everyone of us based on alot of factors. Such as adherence, logging, measuring and weighing portion, watching Macros/Micros, etc, etc.... Work on your own plan that you can build upon and make your own, in the long run this will help build the foundation for long term success.... Best of Luck
  • staceyfeb2014
    staceyfeb2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have been on calorie deficit for nearly 3weeks now, I eat between 1200/1300 calories a day, the first week I lost 6lb, second week 3l and now my weight has stuck. I am doing a workout DVD 4 days a week plus every other day go for a 1 and half mile walk. Am I doing too much and not eating enough or is everything I'm doing ok? Just wondering why I'm sticking at minute. Thanks
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I have been on calorie deficit for nearly 3weeks now, I eat between 1200/1300 calories a day, the first week I lost 6lb, second week 3l and now my weight has stuck. I am doing a workout DVD 4 days a week plus every other day go for a 1 and half mile walk. Am I doing too much and not eating enough or is everything I'm doing ok? Just wondering why I'm sticking at minute. Thanks

Really? You've lost 9 pounds in 3 weeks and you're worried? Read the links

Also, check this one out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437
  • staceyfeb2014
    Options
    Just thought it would be a constant weight loss? Am I eating too few calories?
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options

No. 9 lbs in 3 weeks in fantastic. Be realistic in your expectations. Its a journey & youre probably looking at 1-1.5 per week average. Focus on the lifestyle change and the rest will take care of itself
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 60lbs but my overall goal was to get fitter so exercise came into that big time.

Currently my weight loss has stalled because I'm training for half marathons but as I'm getting fitter I'm still hitting my goals.
  • staceyfeb2014
    Options
    Thanks, think I'm wanting to see results quicker than I should expect, I realise it's a long journey so here goes haha
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

It definitely will not be constant. Even in maintenance I see fluctuations of up to 5 lbs. So you can be losing weight steadily but water retention and other factors can temporarily hide it.
  • deemszmli
    deemszmli Posts: 15
    Options
    In order to lose weight, i went over to low-calorie food. i have to eat roughly daily about 1800 kilocalories' equivalent of food.The main source of dietary fat was from meat and vegetables,so i eat a lot of vegetables.I lost 10 pounds In the past eight weeks, If I could just lose 10 pounds I know I would feel better.
    You want to be able to tell yourself, “I can and I WANT to do this until the end, no matter how easy or hard it will be because I want the results!”
  • staceyfeb2014
    Options
    I have between 1200/1300 caleries a day that's what the fitness pal guide has recommended with the height and weight I am, that should make me lose around 2lbs a week, I eat everything I did before apart from fizzy drinks, fast food, chocolate, sweets, crips, buns, aslong as they are within my calorie limit for that day, I'm pretty new to this and just want to make sure I'm doing right and can continue successfully on my journey :-) I'm in the middle of a DVD workout now :-D
  • loriebahde
    loriebahde Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    find what makes you happy. set your calories at healthy level and set out to try new workouts. youtube has tons of workouts. right now i eat with in my calorie allowance and walk. i love walking it gives me a great feeling. you have to be the one to find out what works for you. a couple years age everyone i knew was losing weight and having fun doing zumba, so i tried it. i hated it and just could not get the dances. i even bought dvd's and tried at home so that i could join in on the "fun". still it was just not for me. so this made me retreat and stop working out . now i know myself a little better and i know that i have no rhythm and i only dance when playing with my little girl or in the shower. the most important thing is to not give up. you will find something that fits if you seek it out. good luck and happy journey.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Sit back and relax- you're in for the long haul It took me 11 months to lose 100 pounds, and my current weight is 218. You are smaller and can't lose as fast. It will likely take you 14-16 months to get to your goal weight. You need to figure out a long term plan you can live with, which will probably include a weekly cheat meal and a week long calorie nuetral "break" every few months

Exercise, even in small doses, is beneficial. Your body will make decisions based on the tasks you place on it. If you go on a severely calorically restricted diet and do no exercise your body will shed a higher percentage of muscle mass. the result will be flabby thighs and saggy arms. There are a lot of women weightlifting thread that demonstrate this. Some women have even gained weight and look leaner. But to answer your question, you don't have to do Insanity, P90x, or even "sweatin' to the oldies" every day to succeed. Go for slow and steady weight loss of about 1% of your body weight per week, eat a higher percentage of protein than MFP default recommends, and try to exercise a little. One weekly brief thirty minute session of intense weightlifting and one weekly session of sprints would be hugely beneficial. In addition, try to find some physical activity you enjoy, whatever it is, and do that a couple times a week.
  • staceyfeb2014
    Options
    I have stepped on the scales this morning and I am 2lb lighter :-D so what I am doing is working and it's something I can stick to. I just need to be patient :-)
  • hammondo
    hammondo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do fitness pal properly, weighing everything, logging everything that passes my lips, and I also started running again. 2-3 miles 2-3 times a week to start with and building up from there. I have lost 74lbs and ran my first marathon in May in 3hrs40mins. It's fair to say the running bug bit me!

I started on 1200 calories a day and now hit around 2000 on a non running day, and stuff my face as I like on a running day (I do about 8 miles now 2-3 times a week, so burn about 800 calories!)

As long as you do some sensible exercise and be honest with yourself on fitness pal, then you can't go wrong :)
  • staceyfeb2014
    Options
    Thanks, I'm same I log everything that passes my lips, I don't restrict myself from anything but fizzy drinks, fast food and sweets choc n crisps. Every two weeks I may have 1 choc bar or 1 pack crisps but I'm sure that won't affect things coz it's not an everyday thing. I also do a workout DVD 4 days a week and go for a one and a half mile walk about 2-3 times a week.
  • hammondo
    hammondo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's just a matter of time then :) Be patient, and of course if you lose it too quickly its supposedly easier to put it back on!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!