FitBit

Options
Are they any good? Is it worth the money? Thanks

Replies

• BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes. I've had my FitBit One for a year and a half and love it. It counts every step you take to help keep you moving.
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex and it helps motivate me to get in my steps. I love how it syncs to mfp and automatically puts in any extra calories I've gained walking throughout the day. It is however just a fancy pedometer so it won't track other exercises like biking and swimming.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    To me it is what it is...What I mean is my wife had one, used it for about 6 months until she had a good understanding of what her day looked like and hasn't used it since. If it will motivate you like the people above then it is great, if it is something you take off and never use again then waste of money. Bottom line is people require different things to stay motivated towards reaching a goal if a FitBit will do it for you then go for it! The most worthwhile investment is in yourself!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Are they any good? I think so. I would love to get one.

Are they worth the money? How much money do you have to spend on one?

I just went and bought a basic pedometer because I don't have he money for a true fitness tracker right now.

I was using an app on my phone, except there was one major flaw with doing so:

For a fitness tracker to be accurate, it needs to be on your body 24/7 (or as much as possible). My phone spends most of its time in my hand or plugged into a charger. It's not going to track my fitness very well over there.

If you are looking to use a heart rate monitor in the future, then I would suggest getting a Garmin Vivofit ($150 w/o HRM strap, $190 w/HRM strap) (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/03/garmin-vivofit-review.html) or a Polar Loop ($100 w/o HRM strap)(http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/12/polar-depth-review.html). They are very similar, but have slightly different features. Read the reviews, see what you like, go check the out and buy one.

If you aren't planning on using a heart rate monitor, and you have a large budget ($100) I would suggest the Withings Pulse. (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/11/withings-depth-review.html)

If you just want something basic for less ($60) then the Fitbit Zip is your best choice. (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/fitbit-depth-review.html)

Read through the reviews, and make your own decision. If you want to check out the other fitness traackers, they're all on that site. Every single one.

Just a side note: As far as i'm aware, you can sync every single on of those fitness trackers with MFP except for the Polar Loop.

All fitness trackers are very consistent with each other in tracking the number of steps you have take. Also, I read various other articles on the devices and they are all relatively accurate for tracking calories in steady-state, low intensity activity.Tthey were all within 10% of what the subject actually burned.

They only way to get more accurate with higher levels of activity are with an HRM.

My personal favourite and the one I wish to get is the Garmin Vivofit - mostly because it has the 'red bar of guilt' that reminds you to get up and be active every hour you have been inactive and its battery lasts an entire year.
  • jcamer12
    jcamer12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit and the customer service the company provides! I've made some great friends in the FitBit community and we spur one another on to increase our exercise goals. It's fantastic how it tracks my exercise and syncs back to MFP. However, I've found for me, it does overestimate how may calories I burn so I do NOT eat back all that it gives me. I exercise a lot and am very active (over 12,000 steps per day avg and over 1 hr of tennis a day avg) so my body just doesn't need to eat back all those calories. That being said, my FitBit has helped me stay focused and motivated and keep off the 10 lbs I lost. It's been nearly 2 years now and at age 56, I consider myself blessed. So many women my age say they just can't lose any weight. I say get a FitBit and get moving. Accurately track your food on MFP and watch the amazing results. Good Luck!
  • vkdarling
    vkdarling Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I absolutly love my fitbit and think it is worth the money. It keeps me motivated everyday and helps me set goals and reach them. It just had a great update and I'm sure there are more to come. Get one! :)
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit one! I even lost my first one and the company sent me another one..FOR FREE!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I`m still using my fitbit Ultra ( the older version ) and Love it if it ever dies I`ll replace it so Yes IMO its worth it :)
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Love mine! It syncs very well with MFP, and rather than a simple TDEE calculation, I feel the Fitbit is more accurate because it's with me all day long and reflects my different levels of activity from day to day.

The most basic Fitbit is $60, and the other two models are $100; these are available at most big-box retailers (the Flex is available at Costco with 2 extra color bands).

https://www.fitbit.com/comparison/trackers

And although I haven't had any problems, I've heard that their customer service is wonderful.
  • Bustergirl14
    Bustergirl14 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have only had mine for 4 days and I am very tech challenged so it took me a while to figure out how it all syncs with my laptop and my phone. For months I have known that I needed to add cardio to strength training and have not been able to motivate myself to get up in the early a.m. to walk. But I did it this morning, just so I could come home and see how many steps I added to my fitbit dashboard. So I guess it's working so far :happy:
  • Bustergirl14
    Bustergirl14 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    And I agree - the tech support has been very helpful.
  • saraj9999
    saraj9999 Posts: 18
    Options
    I have the One and it is absolutely worth it to me. I don't want to see that I have less than 10K steps on any given day - to the point that I will be out walking around the block at 11:00 PM (like last night) if I am short on steps or active minutes. It is like my little conscience. If I lost it, I would buy another tomorrow. I have a HRM too, but I haven't had to use that yet as all of my exercise to date has been hiking, walking or jogging.
  • nessaj
    nessaj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've had the FitBit Zip since 2nd Jan this year and have combined that with logging all my food on MFP and so far I have lost 42lbs or 3 stone. I think it is the best £50 I've spent for a long time and has really inspired me to walk further and do more exercise everyday.... so much so that at the weekend when we had friends down and I couldn't exercise / go for a walk as normal I felt really lethargic and annoyed with myself.

If I lost mine, I'd buy another straight away!

If you can afford it, buy it... and feel free to add me on fitbit and here if you want some company on the fitbit step board :-)
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I got my FitBit One for Christmas and I love it. I often don't get enough sleep and I am terrible at exercising so this really keeps me honest. I will often push myself because of it (for example in the first month I would run up and down stairs as it counts floors! You can set your own targets on the online dashboard and I have the app on my phone and tablet which means I can check the dashboard whenever I want to.

It's small and discrete enough to wear clipped to my bra strap every day and it comes with a soft wrist strap so I can sleep with it on so with the exception of the shower I wear it all the time (to the point when I feel naked without it!)

Go for it!
  • danadane67
    Options
    Yes .. i love my fitbit...... best investment i have made. I have purchased every gadget there is for weight loss and i love this one... This is actually my 2nd one.. missed placed the last one.

Keeps you on target.... i think everyone should use Fitbit, Myfitnesspal and Mapmyfitness... LOL.... love all three of these...
  • golf4g
    golf4g Posts: 58
    Options
    I downloaded the Pedometer ++ app on my IPhone5s and keep the phone in a small over the shoulder "purse." Due to an achilles injury, I'm not walking for miles every day but it works when I go cycling too! Adds the steps, etc., directly to MFP. It's enough for me and the app was free. But, someday, I'd really like to try a Fitbit and see what it's like. All the testimonials you've received are positive proof that it works.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit and the customer service the company provides! I've made some great friends in the FitBit community and we spur one another on to increase our exercise goals. It's fantastic how it tracks my exercise and syncs back to MFP. However, I've found for me, it does overestimate how may calories I burn so I do NOT eat back all that it gives me. I exercise a lot and am very active (over 12,000 steps per day avg and over 1 hr of tennis a day avg) so my body just doesn't need to eat back all those calories. That being said, my FitBit has helped me stay focused and motivated and keep off the 10 lbs I lost. It's been nearly 2 years now and at age 56, I consider myself blessed. So many women my age say they just can't lose any weight. I say get a FitBit and get moving. Accurately track your food on MFP and watch the amazing results. Good Luck!
    ^^^This exactly!!
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • kerrid72
    kerrid72 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I'm on my 2nd Fitbit. I had the original one and loved it. I have the FitBit Flex now and love it too. I have to play little games with myself to keep me moving and seeing my progress (or lack there of) throughout the day helps me to move or move more if need be.
  • tmahan0730
    Options
    I love my FitBit Flex. I used the Jawbone UP for about a year, which I also loved and I did prefer the sleep tracking on the UP but there are a few glitches with the UP and had to buy 2 within a year. I just started using the FitBit last Friday after too much frustration with my UP not syncing properly. Like the other user, I think it does give you too much extra calories for the exercise. With the UP, if I had a 15,000 step day, I would maybe get 200-300 extra calories but with the FitBit, I get 1200. I did eat my extra calories for 3 days because I was on vacation and did not lose any extra weight so I have decided I will not be eating them. Other than that, it syncs great with MFP and is very comfortable and the bracelet does not get caught on things like my UP did.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!