EXERCISING DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN EAT UNHEALTHY!!

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What's Healthy? Its a pretty random and subjective term. To LCHF people lots of fat is healthy to me it's not. You didn't put your weight on because of 'unhealthy foods' you put your weight on because of too many calories of the foods you were eating if you classed them as healthy or not.

You are right, though 'unhealthy' foods have so many more calories than 'healthy' foods. Even 'healthy' foods such as nuts and nut butters, some lean proteins, avocado etc have a lot of calories in a small serving. For me, because I have a food addiction, I couldn't allow myself just one slice of pizza or one scoop of ice during this time. Since I was being super (almost overly) strict before marathon training, once I allowed myself just a nibble of my 'forbidden' foods I binged because I hadn't quite acquired moderation skills. Just a thought, and thanks for clarifying :)

Neither pizza nor ice cream are unhealthy. Eating them at a reasonable amount does not make you ill, modify blood markers or so how reduce life expectancy. The fact that you could not control the amount, suggests that you need to work on your mental relationship with food and the cause for overeating but not that these foods are intrinsically unhealthy. I eat about half a small pizza for dinner every two or three weeks - not unhealthy.

Plus,I would suggest you stop using "I have a food addiction" it somehow sounds like you are empowering an external force for the lack of moderation - it's not me, it's the addiction. If it's an addiction take methadone or see addiction counseling, otherwise it's your responsibility to manage. "I have difficulty moderating with certain foods" shows a more responsible, self-reliant attitude. And yes, I personally have difficulty moderating with certain foods (especially if I skip meals, cut too much or don't get enough sleep).
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to always worry about what you eat. I get where you're coming from but life revolves around food. Now that doesn't mean you need to eat an entire pizza or eat 10 candy bars a day but you should enjoy the things you love. I've kept this weight off for several years now and I do so by eating well 6 days a week with Saturday as my off day. By that I mean I eat what I want, how much I want and I don't log calories although I do still workout. I'm a marathoner, off and on cross fitter, cyclist, I'm 45 and incredibly fit. I actually had this conversation last Saturday on a 40 mile bike ride. My friend and I talked about food and the part it plays in our lives. We know people who worry TOO much about what they eat and people who don't worry enough about what they eat. There is a happy medium and for me personally I've found it :smile:
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I agree... bump to read more fully later
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Pizza gets such a bad rap. Send all your pizzas to me,I shall dispose of them properly.
  • squirrelmom102
    squirrelmom102 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat the right amount of calories even while exercising you won't lose weight. Why would anyone want to waste all that hard work by eating the wrong amount.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    What do you define as eating "unhealthy" because that's pretty broad. If you meant someone not eating vegetables, fruit and lean meats I would agree.

I maintain weight (as a female) on 2600 calories a day before adding in any cardio. Pretty sure eating half a pizza is okay for me. Granted I will turn around and eat fruits, vegetables and lean meats to fill my macros and micros. Moderation means different things for different people. When I'm cutting for a bodybuilding competition I can't afford to eat half a pizza and make it fit my macros/micros.

Exercise (more specifically lifting) is the reason I can eat half a pizza for dinner. If it wasn't for lifting I would be stuck on 1900 calories.

This 100%. I've been maintaining on whatever I want to eat at about the same calorie amount or more for the past month with no exercise at all (I'm recovering from surgery). I've been hitting my macros and micros while eating foods you would term unhealthy. We all just need to find our own balance and figure out what's healthy for us (both what we physically put in our mouths AND how we relate to it mentally) without making blanket statements meant for everyone.
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    All relative.... Calories in vs calories out.... I've lost weight exercising and eating strickly 'healthy' foods, I've gained weight eating 'healthy' foods by not exercising enough. I've also lost weight by exercising and eating whatever I wanted, as well as gaining wieght by eating whatever I want but not exercising....

Sure the healthy options make sense, but for me I've found the journey to be more successful by allowing myself to eat whatever I want and not deprive myself of the foods I enjoy. I just treat it as a reward.

MODERATION...... Calories in vs Calories out....

Slinking back to my corner to lurk some more.....
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    So, what I took away from reading that is you ate more than you burned because you weren't keeping track of what you were eating.

What you said doesn't match your title. It's not about eating healthy or unhealthy. It's about eating too many calories overall.
    mind blowing huh

Yep what this title should read

EXERCISING DOESN'T MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE TO TRACK YOUR CALORIES!!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    c92e989e4e0e745480288d06bf453960.gif
  • bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Haha ahhh yes. Didn't think this would lead into such a debate. Thanks for the feedback, sorry for wording the title incorrectly, etc etc etc.

This post is from my personal experience as what I encounter with the majority of my clients. Not everyone is exercising hours a day or training for events or even cares to know about macros and micros like we fitness fanatics. The average person just struggles to get off the couch and into the gym and has dozens of pounds to lose and for MOST people that does not come by exercising for 30 minutes a day (what is recommended and done by a lot of beginners) and then going home and being slack with the amount of calories they consume for the rest of the day. That is the reason the AVERAGE client I have trained do not see weight loss because they make excuses with their food intake; as I have said, I have been one of them in the past and still struggle with excuses. MOST people cannot eat whatever they want because it can equal thousands of calories in a day when they are perhaps just doing the recommended exercise.

I never said to not eat what you want in moderation (again, I AM SORRY FOR THE WORDING OF MY TITLE). I clearly state in my post that when I was healthy and fit I was eating what I wanted 5-10% of the time (cheat meal once a week, usually pizza or tempura sushi). So before I read something else that seems to be misunderstanding what I posted, I NEVER said to not enjoy yourselves, MOST of this population is overweight due to over consumption of calories and no activity so clearly I am not reaching out to those that ARE marathoners or triathletes and counts your macros and micros and are in competitions (btw kudos to you guys because that takes a lot of work and discipline) because generally your metabolisms ARE higher than the general American who sits at their desk for 8 hours and then comes home and watches TV with their family and overeats snacks at night and does not FEEL like being active. Because THOSE are the people I get in my gym as clients and they struggle with justifying eating hundreds of more calories a DAY (not just a cheat meal or occasional indulgence) because they are exercising 30-45 minutes a day 5x a week.

Hopefully that clears things up. I am not making blanket terms, it is just what I see in my profession.

Also, I will continue to say I have a food addiction rather than 'I struggle with moderation' because I have used food for comfort, happiness, out of boredom, etc etc. I have had counseling for it plus have specific goals I work on with people close to me to overcome that addiction. Many people have addictions to food and the way it makes them feel during that initial binge. I am ashamed of it but am slowly overcoming it... not going to apologize for opening up about that.
  • bregrig
    Options

and this... yes! love it.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • Joshuam2107
    Options

I THINK MAYBE IT WAS IN REFERENCE TO YOU
  • bregrig
    Options

I THINK MAYBE IT WAS IN REFERENCE TO YOU

Yes, I think I got that, thanks :)
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Haha ahhh yes. Didn't think this would lead into such a debate. Thanks for the feedback, sorry for wording the title incorrectly, etc etc etc.

This post is from my personal experience as what I encounter with the majority of my clients. Not everyone is exercising hours a day or training for events or even cares to know about macros and micros like we fitness fanatics. The average person just struggles to get off the couch and into the gym and has dozens of pounds to lose and for MOST people that does not come by exercising for 30 minutes a day (what is recommended and done by a lot of beginners) and then going home and being slack with the amount of calories they consume for the rest of the day. That is the reason the AVERAGE client I have trained do not see weight loss because they make excuses with their food intake; as I have said, I have been one of them in the past and still struggle with excuses. MOST people cannot eat whatever they want because it can equal thousands of calories in a day when they are perhaps just doing the recommended exercise.

I never said to not eat what you want in moderation (again, I AM SORRY FOR THE WORDING OF MY TITLE). I clearly state in my post that when I was healthy and fit I was eating what I wanted 5-10% of the time (cheat meal once a week, usually pizza or tempura sushi). So before I read something else that seems to be misunderstanding what I posted, I NEVER said to not enjoy yourselves, MOST of this population is overweight due to over consumption of calories and no activity so clearly I am not reaching out to those that ARE marathoners or triathletes and counts your macros and micros and are in competitions (btw kudos to you guys because that takes a lot of work and discipline) because generally your metabolisms ARE higher than the general American who sits at their desk for 8 hours and then comes home and watches TV with their family and overeats snacks at night and does not FEEL like being active. Because THOSE are the people I get in my gym as clients and they struggle with justifying eating hundreds of more calories a DAY (not just a cheat meal or occasional indulgence) because they are exercising 30-45 minutes a day 5x a week.

Hopefully that clears things up. I am not making blanket terms, it is just what I see in my profession.

Also, I will continue to say I have a food addiction rather than 'I struggle with moderation' because I have used food for comfort, happiness, out of boredom, etc etc. I have had counseling for it plus have specific goals I work on with people close to me to overcome that addiction. Many people have addictions to food and the way it makes them feel during that initial binge. I am ashamed of it but am slowly overcoming it... not going to apologize for opening up about that.

You don't have to be sorry for sharing what you feel :smile: What it really is about is balance. People seem to struggle with finding a good balance of exercise, diet and life in general. I'm lucky in that I seem to have found that balance and have been able to stick with it for years. I understand food addictions, I had one and I am not immune to my own week moments. The majority of us use food for comfort because like I said, our lives revolve around food. When we celebrate, we eat, when we mourn, we eat, when we get together with family....we eat :happy: I don't think there is one perfect answer because everyone is different. What works for me might not work for you because we are not the same. What we can do is say here is what we do, how we do it and hope it helps people start their own journey.
  • bregrig
    Options
    You don't have to be sorry for sharing what you feel :smile: What it really is about is balance. People seem to struggle with finding a good balance of exercise, diet and life in general. I'm lucky in that I seem to have found that balance and have been able to stick with it for years. I understand food addictions, I had one and I am not immune to my own week moments. The majority of us use food for comfort because like I said, our lives revolve around food. When we celebrate, we eat, when we mourn, we eat, when we get together with family....we eat :happy: I don't think there is one perfect answer because everyone is different. What works for me might not work for you because we are not the same. What we can do is say here is what we do, how we do it and hope it helps people start their own journey.

You are so right! Everyone has a different journey and what works for some doesn't work for others. And that is awesome you have lost over 100 pounds! wow!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

I think that most of us here get what you're trying to say despite the title. What you should have done was reach out to the average person who isn't counting calories and macros. Continue to do what you do with your clients and encourage them to try to count their calories, even if it's temporary, just so they can see where they're at and what they can do if they're not losing weight even though they workout. :flowerforyou:
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    its really quite simple...you can't out-train a bad diet. What you eat/drink is super important for fat loss. Exercise is more important for overall cardio health and body composition. They work together, to some degree, for fat loss...but if you don't have the nutrition figured out, you're not going to lose weight.

I love Craig Ballantyne's diet vs. exercise videos for a clear, somewhat humorous demonstration of this concept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY8THxAHs7M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paiTcS6iZVA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paiTcS6iZVA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y03iHo4DGdU
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Wrong. You CAN eat unhealthy foods (in moderation) as long as you are eating at maintenance.

A better title for this thread would have been: "Exercising doesn't mean you still shouldn't track your calories".