Are some people not meant to be thin

Options

Replies

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Do you walk, go the gym, lift weights, what exercise are you doing everyday? How much do you sit, what size do you wear, also are you eating any fresh veggies and fruit or almost all processed foods?

Are you drinking glass after glass of diet soda?

Some people guess , by eye balling, what they think a serving size is - 1200 calories of what?
    If you want answers that apply to you, please provide more information. good luck either way ????
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I said that a lot back in the day. "I am big boned"... I have a "big frame". Come to find out.. after losing 50 lbs I have a much smaller frame than I thought. YOu might want to check out....

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

It is an ideal weight tracker for your body type..

Sorry Op, I don't have much to add to your original question but I checked this out out of curiosity...it told me I would need to lose 14lbs in order to be "ideal". Down to 90-99lbs. Not sure I would put too much faith in this. Its better to just go by how you feel and look imho.

Heh, it told me I'm underweight. Guess that means I can have an extra cupcake. :laugh:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I said that a lot back in the day. "I am big boned"... I have a "big frame". Come to find out.. after losing 50 lbs I have a much smaller frame than I thought. YOu might want to check out....

Sorry Op, I don't have much to add to your original question but I checked this out out of curiosity...it told me I would need to lose 14lbs in order to be "ideal". Down to 90-99lbs. Not sure I would put too much faith in this. Its better to just go by how you feel and look imho.

Heh, it told me I'm underweight. Guess that means I can have an extra cupcake. :laugh:

So... I tried that - it tells me that if I had short, stubby fingers I'd be at my ideal weight now.
    And since I have very large hands (giggity) I need to lose up to 32 pounds.

Bwahaha. So much duck guano on such little info and failure to take into account LBM.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5,medium sized frame and my weight should be around 135-150 range. I looked great at 148,though of course I thought I was a fat *kitten* back then.If I only knew..:laugh:
  • nespinosa3
    nespinosa3 Posts: 116
    Options
    Just wondering. I've hit a plateau at about 148-150lbs. I can't get past 148. I am 26 and looking back I've always been on the thick side since I was a baby. I've never been thin. Maybe I'm not suppose to be. I'm getting frustrated not being able to lose more weight. I started at 170 in feburary. Since May I've been at 150 and u keep losing and gaining the same pound. I've been restricting what I eat to only 1200 calories and still nothing.

I *completely* understand, it's scary how similar your situation is to mine. I'm also 5'5 and 26, have been between 149-152 for 2 months now and I'm doing exactly the same thing I had been doing, it just *stopped* completely on May.

I do think some of us will never be "thin" without starving ourselves and being miserable, and that's no good. We can be healthy and look great, but still be on the higher end of the weight spectrum. I was 130 once when I entered college, and looking back at those pictures I looked ill, even though 130 would be a very normal/healthy weight for my height. I am almost overweight now according to those charts and some people have told me this is the best I've looked. So yes, I have started to think some of us will weigh more even while following a strict diet and exercise program. This isn't a cop out at all because we are not talking about weighing 250 pounds because we are big boned. We are saying a couple of extra pounds because some of us (like me) just have a bigger body or bigger body areas. I would say...try for a couple of more pounds or try something different, but maybe at some point be happy with your weight and focus on fitness...that's what I'm trying to do :S
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I believe that any female (barring health or hormone issues) can get to 20% body fat. Where that puts one on the scale DOESN'T MATTER. A female at 20% body fat will look pretty lean. If one doesn't get there, then it's more likely that it's NOT a priority like other things are.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

So, in other words, a woman who is not aiming for 20% bodyfat doesn't have her priorities straight? That's pretty lean. Many women can't attain that low a level. But since Scarlett Johanssen and Christina Hendricks don't have their priorities straight, some of us can feel we're in good company.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

What a load of crap.

For starters, if you have a lot of fat on your wrists, it's going to blow the tests to begin with.

Second, it told me my "ideal weight" was between 70 and 77kg. Well sorry bucko, I remember being 70-77kg, and I was fat.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I believe that any female (barring health or hormone issues) can get to 20% body fat. Where that puts one on the scale DOESN'T MATTER. A female at 20% body fat will look pretty lean. If one doesn't get there, then it's more likely that it's NOT a priority like other things are.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I have been wondering about this...my upper body looks fairly lean (see profile pic) and based on the "body fat percentage images" i have seen, I would guess it might be under 20% or pretty close to 20% but my lower body is extremely fat...big thighs and jiggly butt and lower back fat...so it's really hard to say I look lean overall...which frustrates me ...
  • albayin
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

So, in other words, a woman who is not aiming for 20% bodyfat doesn't have her priorities straight? That's pretty lean. Many women can't attain that low a level. But since Scarlett Johanssen and Christina Hendricks don't have their priorities straight, some of us can feel we're in good company.

You know I have been told so many times that if I can't lose weight it's because I didn't want it bad enough....God know how badly I want o be thinner and lighter.. This type of comments make me feel very upset and feel stupid about myself...I must be really dumb because I can't lose the weight and achieve the look I want...
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Scarlett Johanssen quote:

"It was many, many, hours, days, and months of stunt training and strength training, but it's fun because I had a goal. The goal was the Lycra catsuit."

http://www.businessinsider.com/extreme-weight-loss-and-gain-for-movie-roles-2012-7?op=1#ixzz36sqbA4TR

Not that I'm planning to stuff my old carcass into one of those, barring a bad Halloween costume concept, but yeah, the woman is gorgeous at any size, and she still had to work at it.
  • albayin
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Scarlett Johanssen quote:

"It was many, many, hours, days, and months of stunt training and strength training, but it's fun because I had a goal. The goal was the Lycra catsuit."

http://www.businessinsider.com/extreme-weight-loss-and-gain-for-movie-roles-2012-7?op=1#ixzz36sqbA4TR

Not that I'm planning to stuff my old carcass into one of those, barring a bad Halloween costume concept, but yeah, the woman is gorgeous at any size, and she still had to work at it.

yes, although scarlett or JLO is not my type of ideal body, but I read every where that they do work hard for whatever they've got...
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

yes, although scarlett or JLO is not my type of ideal body, but I read every where that they do work hard for whatever they've got...

Yeah, that is one cool thing about being really fit and looking it. Unlike many aspects of life, you can't force someone to do the work for you or buy your way to success. Although of course access to personal trainers and high quality food help, you still gotta put in that effort.
  • massivediet
    massivediet Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am also 5' 5" and my goal weight is anything under 150 (high normal according to BMI charts). "Thin" is relative. I am walking around now at 172, wearing a size 8 or 10, and I feel pretty thin everywhere but the gym because many of the people I see around town are so much more overweight than I am. I imagine at 150 I will feel thin most of the time.

At the gym it is different, of course, because you see some committed people who have very low body fat, amazing bodies, and you see some very, very thin people who will do cardio machines for hours. Maybe you want to aspire to be one of those types of people, and that is great if you do--I'm sure you can get to a very lean state with a lot of work and motivation.

If you're looking to become one of those people who is more effortlessly thin, though, I would think that changing your body type is probably unrealistic. When I was a teenager, I was at the low normal end of the spectrum for a while, about 115. I did not feel thin at that time because so many others were thinner. I had broad shoulders and thought of myself as "curvy," "stocky," or maybe "average" certainly not thin--even though I had bones poking out in my chest and ribs --because to me a thin person was narrow and just built differently. I had to restrict calories vigilantly or my weight would shoot up to 130 or 140 right away. We all have probably known one of those people who seem to be "meant to be thin," as you say, who don't obsess over diet and wear a size 00 or maybe a 2 and at the same time don't have a lot of bones poking out. In asking whether you are meant to be thin, it sounds like you know you are not one of those people. . . nothing wrong with that.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options

I don't think I am a believer of this weight calculator... seriously, I know I am a little underweight but this calculator says I should weigh nearly 20 pounds more than I do to be a healthy weight (it states my "Ideal weight range is 124 - 136.4 lbs. (56.4 - 62 kg. You are underweight.) ... also, it does not factor gender... 20 pounds underweight... I think not!

:-)

(edited for format)
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Ideal weight for you is whatever number you choose! It only depends on what you want to look like. People differ on what degree of thinness they consider to be ideal. Anyone CAN be model-thin! Personally, I do not want to look that skinny. If I did, I would certainly set my goal at 90-something pounds (I am 5' 3 1/2.") I have never been model-thin; however, in my opinion I look TOO thin whenever under 110 pounds. Whatever weight you feel YOU look best at is the right weight for you!
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options

What a load of crap.

For starters, if you have a lot of fat on your wrists, it's going to blow the tests to begin with.

Second, it told me my "ideal weight" was between 70 and 77kg. Well sorry bucko, I remember being 70-77kg, and I was fat.

A few people have said that the test wants them to be heavier, that test was probably sponsored by KFC and McDonalds.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options

I see that many disagree, but I really liked this link. It supports my experience of where I felt healthiest & enjoyed my body the most. I set my goal within this range despite the fact that it still places me on the very upper edge of the "normal" range. I have been significantly lighter. I looked SCARY & UNHEALTHY. I am a wide-hipped, large-chested woman. I'm no Kate Moss, nor should I aim to be! I can, however, be slim & healthy. It's just a number. ????
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Ideal weight for you is whatever number you choose!

That depends on the perspective. Ideal weight for your mental health, your look, might be radically different than ideal weight for your health.

Some people's ideal weight is underweight. More commonly very obese people tend to make goal weights that still leave them overweight, or obese, and at risk health wise. I met a woman online once who was very short, over 300 lbs, and her ideal weight was 190. That was still very obese for her height.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I disagree BECAUSE there are some people who live to eat. Yes, they probably will shorten their lifespan if they are short and choose to weigh 190 pounds. They choose quality of life over quantity. It is worth it to them to be able to eat more of what food they want, than to live longer. It is worth it to them to be able to eat like that even though they will still look too fat by any standard. There is a wide variance in what people consider "fat" or "thin." To a point. Everyone would consider a 190-pound person to look too fat unless they are very tall. The short person who sets her goal at 190 cares more about being able to eat a lot of fattening food every day than looking slender. She already knows she will look too fat, but food is more important to her. She has every right to make that decision for herself! She would rather enjoy a shortened lifespan of lots of fattening food every day than to live longer and feel deprived, food-wise. If she was over 300, she has chosen a compromise, a middle ground, between quality and quantity of life. Many people choose this option. Personally, I would not be willing to diet in order to live a longer life! I am vanity-driven, and it just so happens that what I consider to be the weight at which I look best DOES fall within the healthy BMI range. I stand by my original statement of, "Ideal weight for you is whatever number you choose."
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I think as you get closer to goal, it becomes more challenging to lose weight. Maybe that's what is going on with you. But it doesn't mean it's impossible.

Have you tried changing up what you eat? Are you truly measuring out your portions or have gotten comfortable with estimating your calories? Are you eating a lot of processed food? It might be time to cut it out, which will also cut back on sodium and sugar in your diet. Those two can cause your body retain more water. Think of food as fuel for your body. You'll want to get the most out of what you put into your body.

Are you working out on a regular basis? Are you physically active in general? If not, now is the time to switch things up! Your body might simply be complacent with the same old routine and be in need of a bit of a jolt to get the metabolism moving again. If you normally walk for workouts, add in some intervals of running. What about strength training? More muscle burns more calories, even when sitting. And who doesn't want that?:smile:

Don't you dare give up. You can do this and you're smart to stick with it while you're in your 20's. Trust me-it only gets more difficult as you get older!