Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

10 mile Running Preparation Advice

Hello all,

I'm currently participating in a running event where we log miles everyday from July 1 until September 30. On September 27th there is a 10 Mile race that is the big finish to these 3 months of running.

My goals are this:

1. Run 500 Miles during these 98 days.
2. Finish the 10 mile race in a respectable time.
3. Maybe lose some weight in the process.

I'm not a complete novice at running but I certainly haven't been running seriously in a few years.

Right now I'm running every day on a treadmill for about 5.25 miles. This takes me about 57 minutes to complete.
I've been walking 1/4th @ 4mph then running 1 mile at ~6.3mph until I hit 5 miles and then I walk and step down another 1/4th a mile as a cooldown.

Here are my questions:

1. Would it be more beneficial to increase my running every day and then take a day off once a week?
2. Is there a certain way I should be building up to the 10 miler while still hitting my minimum amount of miles per week? (35.14 miles)
3. My right toe is getting more and more bruised under the nail, tips to combat this?
4. Anything else that will help me complete this running journey?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    FIRST: Are you sure running 500 miles in 98 days is a smart goal? Seems like a lot to me for someone who hasn't been running seriously. What was your average weekly mileage before starting this challenge ?

1) I think you should have a rest day / week. You body needs rest to recover.
    2) I don't think running the same mileage every single day is the best way to tackle this. You should have longer days, and shorter days for recovery.
    3) Sterilized needle through the nail should remove the pression and drain the blood.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    I agree that the 500-mile goal seems high. Since you're already going 5.25 miles at a shot, I would focus on cardio fitness in general, which you'll develop though a HIIT program. (...things like 10 20-second sprints, with 2 minutes of total rest in between, or 7 40-second sprints with a minute of rest in between, or just 5 20-second sprints with a minute of rest. The sprints should be ALL out. And this should be all you do for a running workout on any given day. I think you'll be amazed how you develop.)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    500 miles is a LOT for a newer runner to try to achieve. I would be scared of an injury.

For the toe bruising, sounds like a shoe issue. Were you fitted for those shoes by a running store? Sounds like you need a bigger toe box.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    1. Would it be more beneficial to increase my running every day and then take a day off once a week?
    First, why the 500mi in 98 day goal? Nice round number? To see who runs the most? Just curious because it seems arbitrary.

2. Is there a certain way I should be building up to the 10 miler while still hitting my minimum amount of miles per week? (35.14 miles)
    Set aside 2 days a week for a long run (10-12mi) and a medium-long run (7-8mi).

3. My right toe is getting more and more bruised under the nail, tips to combat this?
    Properly fitted, larger shoes. And what Josee said.

4. Anything else that will help me complete this running journey?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • First I would make sure you have the proper shoes. Go to a running shoe store, not a department store, and get fitted. They should watch your stride and be able to analyze your needs. This will help you avoid injury and problems.

Second, I would not rely on treadmill running to prepare for a run outside. You should train in similar circumstances as the 10 miler you are training for...hilly, flat, trails or whatever.

Third, I am just now starting to train for a half marathon in October...my schedule calls for 3 running days, 2 cross training days and two rest days. The running days go short, short, longer with the times/mileage increasing each week.
  • JaredReg
    JaredReg Posts: 4
    Thanks for the replies!

As for the reason i selected 500 miles; There are certain milestones in the program. 100 miles, 250 miles, 500 miles, 1000 miles. 250 miles would be a bit easy for me. I said I haven't been running in a few years but I did run cross country in high school and did 6 years in the army. I'm not necessarily a stranger to running distance. I'm just more or less out of shape. Since 250 miles was too easy, I opted to shoot for 500 to give me something that would make me push myself.

I like the suggestions for HIIT training and moving the running to outside. I'd just been using the treadmill for scheduling convenience (bad excuse). I'll go out and purchase a stopwatch this week. I have a nice rubber track nearby, I imagine that would be good for HIIT stuff.

I definitely understand that I need new shoes. The ones I have now are old and I bought them one drill due to forgetting my usual shoes. I'll go this week and get fitting for some real shoes.

Before I started this (July 1) I hadn't been running basically at all since 2011. So far I've logged 36.82 miles and I don't feel to bad really. I've been focusing on stretching and giving myself plenty of warmup and cooldowns on my runs to try to prevent injuries. My right leg at the started hurting at the socket when I started but I started paying attention to my form more and I think that's resolved itself.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I would definitely get new shoes, but also moving off the treadmill might help your toe issues too.

I find on the treadmill I tend to be very forward- and my toes always get jammed up and uncomfortable- I never run enough for it to be a long term issue- but something to consider is how much different your gate is on a treadmill vs outside- and just do some internal self checking for form and stride and foot strike.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Go slow...then slow down a bit. I wouldn't do any speed work at all. That's a lot of mileage for 3 months, but every one is different, so maybe your body can handle it. One thing is almost for sure though. If you insist on doing any speed work with all that mileage, the likelihood of getting injured is somewhere near a hundred percent. Take it easy and pay attention to your running form, and you might pull it off!

Most likely, your toe is hurting because your shoes are too small. I wear a full size bigger shoe and have never had a toenail issue. Your feet swell, so what feels right in the shoe store is more than likely too small. There are also some brands that have really roomy toe boxes, like altra and mizuno.

And, I would definitely add a rest day. I take Mondays off pretty religiously.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Go slow...then slow down a bit. I wouldn't do any speed work at all. That's a lot of mileage for 3 months, but every one is different, so maybe your body can handle it. One thing is almost for sure though. If you insist on doing any speed work with all that mileage, the likelihood of getting injured is somewhere near a hundred percent. Take it easy and pay attention to your running form, and you might pull it off!

I wouldn't do speedwork either.
    My 2 cents.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    My advice in no particular order:

1. http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-guide/summer-2014
    Invest in a nice pair of shoes at a running shoes store. Consider getting a half size bigger shoes, although store assistants should know that :tongue: Non-cotton socks is a must for me. I used to lose 3-4 toe nails every summer, this has not happened ever since I got properly fitted shoes. They are more expensive than your typical department store shoes, but worth every penny.

2. A rest day or 2 is a must. You will be amazed how fresh and rejuvenated your run can be after a nice day of doing nothing :drinker:

3. Someone already mentioned that, but try to schedule 1-2 days for longer runs.

4. Fuel your body properly (I know this sounds ambiguous) I used to not eat enough while training for a race, bad idea.

5. Consider getting a foam roller to lose the tension in your muscles. I was rather skeptical about it, but I'm loving it now! I use it after every run.

6. Listen to your body. And have fun!!! :flowerforyou:

P. S. Running is awesome!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    +1 to get off the treadmill.

Also, 500 miles in 3 months is a lot, even if you used to run. The point is that you haven't in a while.
    Once you get off the treadmill and start running on the road, your legs will start to make adjustments (or readjustments in your case) that will hamper your 500 miles goal.

Also, you will need to different runs at different distances/paces.
    Long Slow Runs, Tempo Runs, Recovery Runs.

A 10 mile race is not really that big of a deal. It's between a 10K and a half marathon. If there are 10 mile race plans available, maybe have a look over. Otherwise, look into a maybe following a half marathon training plan in maybe cut the last few weeks out.

But 500 miles in 3 months is more like full marathon training. Way over than what you need for a 10 miler, and you risk injury as you try to do too much too fast with very little benefit to the 10 miler.

250 miles would not be easy if you worked on your pace correctly. Believe me.

Just my humble opinions.