First ....Bad food decision

Options
I seriously started working towards a healthier me at the beginning of the year. I have done really well avoiding the kiddos snacks and other bad things for me ........until this morning.

I did baaaaad at breakfast. Last year my honey and I started going on a breakfast “date” (to the same lil Mexican place with the same waitress) every Friday............... I think that it might have to change. I love flour tortillas. I told myself that I was going to order the corn tortillas instead but I did NOT. I ATE 2 HOMEMADE FLOUR TORTILLAS. Today was my first time to "blow it" since I started on my weight loss journey. I was disappointed with myself but I also am Thankful to see that everyone falls off the "healthy food" wagon sometimes. I just have to get back on track.

I get inspired everyday by other members of MFP. Thank You very much!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    uh, i just fell off the wagon for lunch...and blogged about it which made me feel a bit better but it sucks. Just make it one isolated incidence and not a frequent thing.
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I fall off frequently :smile: just gotta get back on!
  • nickiejohnson
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over one bad day! Just make it up! Exercise a little more and eat light the rest of the day with lots of fruits and veggies!! I know I enjoy mine and my husband's 'traditions' and I wouldn't trade them for the world. So I suggest instead of every week going to that place maybe every other? Or just really work it in the gym each week to burn off for that day!
    Good luck! :)
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I fall off frequently :smile: just gotta get back on!

that's the true test- getting back on!
  • Shaqueta
    Options
    Don't worry I'm staring @ this king size snickers thinking hmm..... I'll just do 30 day shred later on. We all have our moments. Its ok to stray as long as you come right back and work it off.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it, sweat it off!!!
  • melindapipkin
    Options
    i fell off the wagon at lunchtime, i was at walmart and saw the chicken salad sandwiches and they looked good, i was hungry. well after i ate it i felt horrible. but you just have to realize that no one is perfect all the time. add me as a friend if u like
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    why can't friday morning breakfast be your one treat a week so you dont feel like you are falling off the wagon??????
    make it work for you in your daily calorie allowance by either eating lighter during the other meals/snacks that day or move your *kitten* more to make up for the extra calories you eat.......

we have chinese takeout every thurs night....i eat 1000 +/- at that meal and i get steamed chix and veggies but eat a spring roll, duck sauce and 3 chicken wings....BUT on thursdays i have a BIG burn at the gym to make up for the "extra" calories i eat with our takeout....

this is not a diet....this is not a diet website....you should not be on a diet plan.....you should be finding ways to change your life in order to make the things you like to eat fit into your life but not take over you life.....if you go out to eat once a week who cares.....as long as you make room for it....that is what we are supposed to be working on here....making changes to last a life time....

why should you have to go without that special treat/date because you are getting healthy???? you shouldnt....just make it work....

sorry for the rant but i feel very passionate about this journey being for life....for me....for ever....
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Ok, so you have 3 choices here: Start going somewhere healthier for your breakfast date (which you suggested), tell yourself and your honey that you can only keep going there if you order the healthier choices (and STICK TO IT) or allow yourself those two tortillas and work out a little extra that day. Two flour tortillas shouldn't blow your whole day, assuming the rest of the meal is reasonable (maybe ask for no cheese/sour cream or skip the chips or various other ways to make the meal less "damaging"). If you can, maybe you can order a child's plate that only has one tortilla?

You will always be faced with unhealthy food choices, it's better to build up your will power and learn to choose the better foods in spite of the other options - saying No is like a muscle - the more you use it, the stronger it get. It might be a good thing to keep going there, but to learn to pick what's healthy.
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    Dont beat yourself up over it, it happens to the best of us, im liveing breathing proof of that. Tomorrows another day, youll be ok.
  • helenamonks
    Options
    Its okay to fall off every now and again. Denying yourself of the foods you love only sets you up for failure. If you know on Friday's you want to eat flour tortillas, set up a permanant ritual to workout every friday afternoon or morning before you go eat. That way, you burn the extra calories you are taking in. So those "bad decisions" turn into just "decisions".
  • heligal79
    Options
    Thank You so much. I think a new a place to eat is a great idea.....it will still be us on our date.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    You will always be faced with unhealthy food choices, it's better to build up your will power and learn to choose the better foods in spite of the other options - saying No is like a muscle - the more you use it, the stronger it get. It might be a good thing to keep going there, but to learn to pick what's healthy.

big ditto!! very well said!!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    why can't friday morning breakfast be your one treat a week so you dont feel like you are falling off the wagon??????
    make it work for you in your daily calorie allowance by either eating lighter during the other meals/snacks that day or move your *kitten* more to make up for the extra calories you eat.......

we have chinese takeout every thurs night....i eat 1000 +/- at that meal and i get steamed chix and veggies but eat a spring roll, duck sauce and 3 chicken wings....BUT on thursdays i have a BIG burn at the gym to make up for the "extra" calories i eat with our takeout....

this is not a diet....this is not a diet website....you should not be on a diet plan.....you should be finding ways to change your life in order to make the things you like to eat fit into your life but not take over you life.....if you go out to eat once a week who cares.....as long as you make room for it....that is what we are supposed to be working on here....making changes to last a life time....

why should you have to go without that special treat/date because you are getting healthy???? you shouldnt....just make it work....

sorry for the rant but i feel very passionate about this journey being for life....for me....for ever....

I ageee 100% and was thinking the same thing.
  • 2BaNewMe2
    2BaNewMe2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    One time is not going to ruin all of your hard work at being healthier. Sometimes we need to "indulge" ourselves to keep us on track. I was in the habit of stopping every morning on my way to work for a sausage biscuit for breakfast. I have since started eating an order of scrambled eggs with whole wheat toast. Tuesday was a bad morning for me and I found myself at the drive thru getting the sausage biscuit.

Yes, my calorie intake was way over what I normally have for breakfast, but I wanted the biscuit and I would not have been satisfied if I had eaten the eggs and toast, which would have thrown off the rest of the day.

I do "indulge" once in a while, eating something I know is not good or healthy. But I don't let it get me down because I know it could and probably would be worse if I didn't give in to the wants or craving.

Don't let it get to you. Just don't make a habit out of it. You can do this and all of us have been in this situation. We know how it can make you feel down on yourself. You have to try your best to get past it and remember how you are feeling now so the next time you order the corn tortillas instead of the flour ones.

You can do this and we are all here to help you get through the tough times.
  • demi1205
    demi1205 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dont be so hard on yourself, It takes time to get going on the healthly eating wagon but once ur on it u wont want to get off. I too have days that I mess up but try to balance it out at my next meal...
  • bzamacona
    bzamacona Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like that... don't sweat it, just sweat it off!
  • heligal79
    Options
    WOW! You all are great! The input is very much appreciated!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    hm, I manage to get in at least a little chocolate every week. I don't feel like I am "splurging". I feel like I am making a trade. I can have this Milky Way, but, then I do *this* work-out video and walk XX minutes in trade. Some days it's worth it, and I have that chocolate. Some days it isn't, and I skip it. I make similar trades on the weekend if I want to drink a bottle of wine, or a few beers.

Maybe instead of getting rid of your "traditional" date place, you could add to it. Maybe you and your honey can go for a walk together after breakfast, or maybe after work to work off the extra calories. Or sex..sex burns calories! :love:
  • unckat09
    Options
    I don't think you "fell off the wagon." Rather, you enjoyed something that you love. As stated above, why not make flour tortillas your weekly splurge? Balance out your workout schedule to account for the extra calories and enjoy. I'm telling you, I can't live my life without sushi, so I don't plan on giving it up any time soon! However, I am cutting down on my portions AND limiting myself to once every two weeks (for now, I guess).

I really hope you don't go "cold turkey" on the tortillas :wink: