cheese sandwich - how many calories??????

Options
I put butter on my two slices of hovis wholemeal bread. Then cut mature cheddar as the filling.
I'm NOT AMERICAN. I DON'T GRILL IT.

I've searched everywhere and can find no consensus on how many calories in this simplest of snacks.
has anyone got a definitive answer?

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Look up the calories of the bread.
    Weigh the cheese. Look up how many calories is in that much cheese.
    Measure the butter and look up how many calories is in that much butter.
    Add together.

There you go.

You can make your own recipes for things you eat often in the recipe builder so you don't have to keep logging it individually.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    ^^ This. Just log the items separately. It is really pretty simple. Butter, cheese, bread.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Weigh it...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Slice of wholemeal bread - 100 each.
    Butter - proabably around 60-70 cals, depends how generous you were.
    The cheese? Calories will be high, so it really matters how much cheese you used. A ready sliced piece is around 120.

So all in, about 400 calories, more if you used alot of cheese.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    hovis wholemeal bread: 57 cals/slice total 114
    Butter (depends on how much you used) 1Tablespoon: 100 cal
    Cheddar (depends on the type, read the label) 90 cals per ounce

I found this easily in the database. Click on Food, then click on Database and you can search through all the foods that are logged into the database. When in doubt read the label, if it has one. Otherwise just compare it to something similar :flowerforyou:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm NOT AMERICAN. I DON'T GRILL IT.

What does being American, or grilling the sandwich, have to do with its calorie count?

Grilling does not magically add more calories to an item of food. One method of cooking vs. another (or NOT cooking, in this case) does not make a difference in the number of calories it has. Neither does being American....:huh:
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Just butter and cheese on a cold sandwich? Sounds pretty gross. Put the bread on a scale, record the weight. Tare. Put the butter on the bread, record the weight. Tare. Put the cheese on the bread, record the weight. Log all of it. Repeat for everything else you eat.
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Strong first post.

lawl
  • Gimpypal
    Gimpypal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    176 cal in 2 slices Hovis Wholemeal bread (medium slice), 110 in one oz aged cheddar, 51 in 1/2 Tblsn butter. 337 total. :drinker:
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I DON'T GRILL IT.

You are truly missing out.
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    We love grilled cheese in the 'hood!
    ib2nChMTL5FuYU.gif
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Add together.

There you go.

You can make your own recipes for things you eat often in the recipe builder so you don't have to keep logging it individually.

This.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Add together.

There you go.

This.

Yep. This is how you have to do it.
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options
    200.gif
    200.gif
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Add together.

There you go.

Maths are your friend....
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm just going to go with what I think based on the same concept being for an American grilled cheese sandwich. (Sorry I love those so much! It's really comforting.) My grilled cheese sandwiches, which I make with mayonnaise instead of butter because it grills better, runs about 360-420 calories a sandwich depending on my slicing abilities of cheese, so, it's probably in that ballpark.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm just going to go with what I think based on the same concept being for an American grilled cheese sandwich. (Sorry I love those so much! It's really comforting.) My grilled cheese sandwiches, which I make with mayonnaise instead of butter because it grills better, runs about 360-420 calories a sandwich depending on my slicing abilities of cheese, so, it's probably in that ballpark.

Nothing better than grilled mayo.

~throws up~
  • OkamiLavande
    Options
    We love grilled cheese in the 'hood!
    ib2nChMTL5FuYU.gif

Oh man I'm dying. The more I watch it the better it gets. Apparently you can put pizza on an iron to heat it up - college dorm style.
  • OkamiLavande
    Options

Nothing better than grilled mayo.

~throws up~

The first time I had it, it weirded me out terribly. I was staying at my grandmother's in Redding and that's how she made grilled cheese sandwiches. I was forever changed by that sandwich. It was the best grilled cheese I have ever had hands down.