Week one no loss :(

Options
Finally starting this again and I have been so good all week, consistently eating 1300 or below (except Friday when I ate 1450) been to 2x Zumba classes, pilates class, circuits class and went on two 3.5mile walks! Weighed myself today and I have stayed exactly the same. I'm 126lbs and 5ft 0 tall! Feeling very demotivated as I've worked really hard this week and it feels like it was for nothing!

Steph

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Finally starting this again and I have been so good all week, consistently eating 1300 or below (except Friday when I ate 1450) been to 2x Zumba classes, pilates class, circuits class and went on two 3.5mile walks! Weighed myself today and I have stayed exactly the same. I'm 126lbs and 5ft 0 tall! Feeling very demotivated as I've worked really hard this week and it feels like it was for nothing!

Steph

it takes longer than a week. be patient!
  • missemmibelle
    missemmibelle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    That's a fairly low amount of calories for all that fabulous exercise. Are you eating back your activity calories?

One week isn't a real long time to assess if what you are doing is working, but the biggies are accurate logging, water and eating back the cals you burn (I eat about half).

Also it seems harder, the less you have to lose. Not sure why.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Yep, give it two weeks at least.....

The other bit of advice I would give is if you don't have one, get a scale.
    Weigh and measure everything you eat or drink.

So then you really know you are getting 1300 calories or not.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    All good advice so far. To sum up:

Have patience - you're only 7 days in.

Weigh/measure/log everything - if you're not honest - your body still counts every bite you eat. Tighten up on your logging and use a scale to weigh everything.

Exercise is awesome, but you can't outrun a bad diet. Start there.

And most importantly, be patient.
  • KarinaRaina11
    Options
    You've been doing great but remember that it takes time before the results show, slow weight loss is more healthier then losing weight rapidly. You've probably had a change in your lifestyle so it takes time before your body starts to adapt. Im sure you'll see the results soon. Losing weight takes a lot of time so just be patient and never give up! Good luck :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If the exercise is new as well as the diet, it's possible your results are being masked with water retention. Fear not, it takes time to get started.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle and should not be put into such terms as a weekly make or break plan... adherence to the process over the long haul will be the determining factor as to whether you succeed or fail..... Not to mention the fact you only weigh 126 pounds, you are nearer to a normal weight than most and weight loss will be alot slower overall than someone who needs to lose more.... Patient is a virtue you need in this process... Best of Luck
  • zlokobac
    zlokobac Posts: 2
    Options
    this is much too often situation. weight loss needs both commitment and time :) i will quote myself "having a will is great,but not enough".
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If the exercise is new as well as the diet, it's possible your results are being masked with water retention. Fear not, it takes time to get started.

this^^^
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Give it time. The weight didn't come on overnight. It won't come off overnight either.
  • Mmmprotein
    Mmmprotein Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    One week on is an accomplishment in itself. I know it's so frustrating not to see a change, but don't give up hope!
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    It is likely especially if you just started exercising and weren't doing it previously that you are retaining water due to this. Give it more time :) Just double check your calories make sure you are weighing everything and honestly logging all the food you intake. As long as you are the weight will come off :) It just may take a little bit longer to show up on the scale due to all the new changes you are putting your body through :)
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think you also have to remember that you are petite (both short and relatively light to begin with and so you will lose more slowly than larger and taller folks. I don’t know how old you are, but with your height, weight, activity level and an estimated age of 30, your BMR is around 1214/day and your TDEE (assuming exercise 5x/week) is 1776/day. So if you ate 1300/daily, you’d have a deficit of 476/day, which *should* put you at bit less than one lb/week loss—and this can be masked by small fluctuations. So, it will take some real time to see difference. Plus, If you’re newish to lifting weights, the addition of water in your muscles will mask loss.

Finally, even small mismeasurements in eating can wreak havoc (a bite or two here, a guestimate that’s 100 calories off there) and slow things down.

I say all this as someone who has been logging for a month, keeping my calories within range, with no change on the scale (stomach is a bit flatter, however).

In m y case, my calculated BMR is only 1142, and my TDEE 1621. I’m shooting for ½ lb a week (TDEE minus 250 calories) and should have lost s little bit by now, but I keep fluctuating between 120 (low) and 122 (starting weight). However, I just bought a food scale and am now weighing rather than measuring food, so I may have been under-reporting a bit due to relying on volume rather than exact weight. Since my caloric deficit is small to begin with (250/cal a day) being just a bit off with measuring could account for not losin. I also have a hard time knowing exactly what I’m eating when I go out to eat—even though I strive for healthy choices I can only guesstimate, unless there's nutritional data which is not always the case.

But I’m sticking with it for another month, and seeing if weighing helps, plus I’m going to try to up my exercise/weightlifting a bit more. Ultimately I'd love to add muscle and increase my BMR a little bit to give me a cushion for the occasional ice cream!
  • ljk3
    ljk3 Posts: 9
    Options
    Need more time... make sure you eat enough... eat back that calories you burn to keep your net calories at the right level... when you are new to working out or cardio, you will likely gain a few pounds in the first week or maybe two... this is due to your muscles holding on to water to replace glycogen... soon your body will catch up on the new stress you are putting it through and you will drop weight fast... true the system and keep doing it... the results will come... stay off the scale for 2 weeks... don't cheat! good luck!

Steph