C-section belly

Options
I have had 3 c-sections and absolutely HATE the "Line" it created the lower part of my belly. I always seem to have that overhang near the scar. I don't know if it's fat or skin or a combo of both but I cannot get it to go away. Even when I weighed 120 lbs, it was always there and creates a little pouch on my lower belly. Anyone else have this problem and is there an exercise that can be done to make it less noticable? Are crunches the answer? The muscles have been cut so I'm not sure if they are even repairable. I guess I'm just ignorant to how to make it go away.

Replies

• Geloza
    Geloza Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I have the same questions... as I have had 2 C-sections. :grumble:
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It is hard to get your belly to look mostly normal again. There's another post of women who were able to get back into decent shape.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/909249-moms-that-lost-belly-hang-extra-flab-stretch-marks

After my first child I lost all of the baby weight plus another 17 lbs or so and I still had a little pouch.

(5'3" 185 pregnancy weight got down to 123 lbs)

I knew a girl with 2 children who got flat abs after careful nutrition and doing P90X. Not sure if she had a c section or if that would work for most or if she just got lucky. I am pregnant with baby #3 and praying that I will one day have a decent stomach again.
  • I3righti3lue24
    I3righti3lue24 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Some women can make it go away with weight loss and working out (IF your working out though find out if you have a distatis(separated stomach muscles) or you may actually make it worse)...

But also feeling the same, and thinking... I'll never wear a bikini with this "shelf"..... 2 csections later.
  • Paiger
    Paiger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've had two c-sections, I thought it was scar tissue.
  • Geloza
    Options
    It is hard to get your belly to look mostly normal again. There's another post of women who were able to get back into decent shape.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/909249-moms-that-lost-belly-hang-extra-flab-stretch-marks

After my first child I lost all of the baby weight plus another 17 lbs or so and I still had a little pouch.

(5'3" 185 pregnancy weight got down to 123 lbs)

I knew a girl with 2 children who got flat abs after careful nutrition and doing P90X. Not sure if she had a c section or if that would work for most or if she just got lucky. I am pregnant with baby #3 and praying that I will one day have a decent stomach again.

I looked at that thread but it's older I guess so the images don't display for me, even when I click the button! Can we start a new one and ask ladies with success stories and tummies to pls share here so we can see! I'll check again on the old thread, thank you! I should also prolly read it haha :laugh:
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 C-sections and have been various different weights over the years and it doesn't seem to get that much better. When I was at my lowest weight the line was a little better, but still not great. My understanding from my OB is that the line is created by scar tissue. I actually have two lines because they couldn't go through my first C-section scar because there was too much scar tissue. I asked him about how it could be fixed. He said only through more surgery, but the surgery would cause more scar tissue and potentially still have the line.

Work on eating right and exercising. I think that's about all you can do. It won't ever be perfect.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 :) I have to get below 18% body fat to get it to go away. I am almost there. I am only 5'1 and I am at about 108 pounds. Its all about your body's fat distribution and body fat %. How tall are you?
  • Geloza
    Options
    And I AM going to wear a bikini regardless of my 2 c-sections. For one, because I have never been able to in my life and because I know I can someday! What I will also need is prolly one of those sheer cover ups for the waist... :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi there ladies. I understand your problems because a friend of mine had exactly the same thing.
    Unfortunately, when your muscles are cut for the performance of a C Section (especially more than once) there will always be a weakness there. Yes, you can exercise some of this away, but women, by the very nature of their abdominal structure will always have a tiny or maybe not so) "pot" on their lower abdomen. Its normal, and female.
    If you dont want to wear a bikini, go for a sexy tankini or a nicely shaped one piece with a nice sexy neckline.

Your scars are part of your life and part of you. I have scrs on my legs from replacement joint surgery, but am not offended by them - they mean I suffered and succeeded. If other people find them offensive, then tough s**t

Wear them and be proud.
  • focusedonfitness2015
    focusedonfitness2015 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 :) I have to get below 18% body fat to get it to go away. I am almost there. I am only 5'1 and I am at about 108 pounds. Its all about your body's fat distribution and body fat %. How tall are you?

I am 5'4" and currently weigh about 140-142. I realize by losing weight, it will be less noticable. The last time I lost weight (about a year ago) I got down to 130. It was definitely better but was still there. I am 44 now so not sure if I will be able to get to an 18% body fat (I'D LOVE TO THOUGH) and actually have no idea what my body fat % was when I was 130
  • I3righti3lue24
    Options
    Hi there ladies. I understand your problems because a friend of mine had exactly the same thing.
    Unfortunately, when your muscles are cut for the performance of a C Section (especially more than once) there will always be a weakness there. Yes, you can exercise some of this away, but women, by the very nature of their abdominal structure will always have a tiny or maybe not so) "pot" on their lower abdomen. Its normal, and female.
    If you dont want to wear a bikini, go for a sexy tankini or a nicely shaped one piece with a nice sexy neckline.

Your scars are part of your life and part of you. I have scrs on my legs from replacement joint surgery, but am not offended by them - they mean I suffered and succeeded. If other people find them offensive, then tough s**t

Wear them and be proud.

No muscles are cut then they do a c-section......
  • I3righti3lue24
    Options
    The 'shelf' is from scar tissue, some women will get rid of it, others won't... They claim you can break up the issue by messaging the areas, however, I really have no idea how true this is. (This was also recommended to me when trying of a VBAC by the midwife....)

I checked out the link posted and a lot of women in their have either decreased their "shelf" or get rid of it completely so there is hope!
  • focusedonfitness2015
    Options
    The 'shelf' is from scar tissue, some women will get rid of it, others won't... They claim you can break up the issue by messaging the areas, however, I really have no idea how true this is. (This was also recommended to me when trying of a VBAC by the midwife....)

I checked out the link posted and a lot of women in their have either decreased their "shelf" or get rid of it completely so there is hope!

Thank you! I appreciate the info. I would be happy just to decrease mine enough that you can't see the little pouch through my clothes. Having a baby (and 3rd C-section) at 37 is not kind on the body...but I wouldn't trade that little one for the world! :heart:
  • focusedonfitness2015
    Options

Wear them and be proud.
    I have scars on my back and side from heart surgery and I do not hide them nor do I feel I offend people with them. No one even says anything. It is what it is. I dont mind my c-section scars, I just dont like the belly hang :tongue:
  • alexis831
    Options

I am 5'4" and currently weigh about 140-142. I realize by losing weight, it will be less noticable. The last time I lost weight (about a year ago) I got down to 130. It was definitely better but was still there. I am 44 now so not sure if I will be able to get to an 18% body fat (I'D LOVE TO THOUGH) and actually have no idea what my body fat % was when I was 130

Let me explain how this happens. Think of it as a seam in clothing. Let say a tight seam like an empire waste dress with a tight seam across the belly. Above it goes out because of your chest and possibly below it if you have a belly. It makes your boobs look bigger and your belly look bigger . If you get rid of the fat on top and on bottom of the C-section scar it doesn't do the whole fold the skin thing below or above. Its just tighter their because of the scar so the fat is more noticable above and below since it pinches the skin inward. Same thing if you had tight pants and it gives you a muffin top. It’s just tight there.

At 5'4 and roughly 130 pounds, I am guessing you were at about 24% body fat. You can easily get down to 20% if you wanted to. Its all a choice. You can't notice my folds anymore after 20% body fat in a bathing suit unless I am sitting then it puffs up a bit at the bottom. When I was down to 16% body fat and had an 8pk after 2 C-sections it was gorgeous sitting standing… anything. Hoping to get down to that soon if I can say no to the chocolate, lol.

You can do this its all in if you want it bad enough. I would also be doing a lot of weight training too if I were you to help hold it all together. That also really helps.
  • focusedonfitness2015
    Options
    Thank you! This makes complete sense to me and I sincerely appreciate your time. Your abs look great...btw..
  • alexis831
    Options
    My pleasure and thanks! They looked soooo much better after my 2nd one. Wish I had a picture of those bad boys, lol. Kinda making me mad its taking so long this time but that is how it goes. :) Plus I have been pretty lazy compared to before.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I agree Alexis...it has a lot to do with BF%. I have had 2 c-sections (8 and 10 yrs ago) and my scar is barely noticeable. Mine is also very low which helps out a lot.

Just keep at it and you can lose the pooch!
  • Geloza
    Options
    Awesome news. That's a relief! And the analogy of an empire waist dress makes total sense to me too. :drinker:
  • mami3oh
    mami3oh Posts: 105
    Options
    I have had 3 C-sections myself, the pooch with third one got so much worse. Hoping to lose it somehow someway!

In the mean time, high waist bottoms are my best friend!

Thank you Alexis for he explanation - no chocolate, that is HARD :)