What to EAT! What is my Grocery List for Eating?

Options
hill1angel
hill1angel Posts: 37 Member
Okay so I am trying to get this down. What should I be eating. I do not want to do a Nutri Fast/Slim Diet.

I want to eat my own food that I cook and prepare.

How much protein, should it have dairy, should I eat more veggies- HELP I dont know....

So Jillian MIchaels has a plan, Ian Smith has a plan and Insanity has a plan.

I want one that is simple and I can manage everyday and have a easy simple grocery list....

Ideas anyone.. I have 30lbs I want to loose before the end of 2014.....and need questions answered because time is ticking!

Replies

• trex107
    trex107 Posts: 5
    Options
    what I do is follow the food pyramid or healthy plate. Whole grains, protein,dairy, vegetables and fruit and healthy fats
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Vegetables - eat as many as you like, whatever's in season will be cheapest.
    Fruits - one or 2 a day
    Protein - lean meats, chicken breasts, fish is good.
    Eggs
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yoghurt
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    What did you eat previously? Those who are most successful long term eat the same foods they have always eaten but in smaller portions.

Aim to meet your MFP protein, fat, carb and fibre goals eating whatever foods you enjoy.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    What did you eat previously? Those who are most successful long term eat the same foods they have always eaten but in smaller portions.

Aim to meet your MFP protein, fat, carb and fibre goals eating whatever foods you enjoy.

This. There is no need for a specific plan. Just eat less of what you normally eat to start with.
  • wellforlife_uk
    Options
    Don't panic, you'll get there. i love homecooked food. I don't stick to a plan, i just decide what i fancy and search the net for recipes. Today i am going to have wholeweat spaghetti, quorn mince with homemade tomato and vegatable sauce.

"How much protein, should it have dairy, should I eat more veggies- HELP I dont know"

-The NHS recommends 55 g of protein a day for men. Great sources include: Beans, eggs, fish, meat, poultry, nuts, milk; Limit red meat and check fat content of nuts (almonds, chestnuts, hazelnuts are good options); Aim for 1 oily fish a week/4 lean fish.
    -Men should aim for 3 servings of dairy a day, 1 serving=one 250ml glass of milk, 40g of cheese, 200ml of yogurt. Sources include: Low fat milk, cheese, yogurt, butter and cream (but these are high in fat so consume sparingly).
    -Try to get 5+ portions of fruit/veg a day, 1 portion=80 grams which is roughly a handful. Eat a variety of colours to maximise health benefits (green, red, yellow, orange); High in potassium: bananas, cantaloupe, dried peaches and apricots, honeydew melon, prunes and orange juice; High in vitamin C: broccoli, dark leafy greens such as kale and spinach, guavas, kiwis, oranges, papayas, peppers and strawberries.

Good luck
    For more information check http://www.wellforlife.co.uk/bare-necessities-of-a-diet-2/
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Build your menus around foods you ENJOY :)
    Life is too short to eat crappy food!
    Yesterday, I had roasted duck w/duck giblet couscous... I LOVE food and will buy groceries around what I want or crave that week. For instance, last week I was wanting avocados and black olives.
    You could also look at folks' diaries for ideas.
  • mayola01
    mayola01 Posts: 1
    Options
    Way to go!!! Good for you. Keep up the good work.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Find your weak areas. For me, that is fruits & veggies. So I make sure to have some every day. And then I know protein is important, so I make sure to get enough. Other than that, its filler. I don't try to get in carbs, fat - they just seem to happen naturally.

Shop for foods you enjoy. Look to prepare them in ways that don't add grease or such. So more baking than frying, for example.
  • mymfpesk
    mymfpesk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've tried different diets and have been most successful long-term with Tosca Reno's eat clean plan. If you can't find a meal plan that you can do long-term...basically forever, don't do it. http://nataliehodson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/the-eat-clean-diet-grocery-list.pdf Good luck!
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

^ this, I lost 24 pounds in three months and weeks, and I had been maintaining for 2 months by eating what I ate before but in smaller portions
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Agree with everyone saying just eat what you like in smaller portions! That said, some of my staples are:

string cheese
    hummus
    edamame
    oatmeal
    yogurt
    asparagus/zucchini
    chicken thighs
    tuna
    berries
    tortillas
  • purplenurse711
    purplenurse711 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Check out carb-cycling.
  • Immab118
    Immab118 Posts: 7
    Options
    I like to follow chickentuna.com plain foods list...its just a sample of where to start. Happy shopping!

Eggs
    Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
    Tuna (water packed)
    Fish (salmon, sea bass, halibut, sushi, mahi mahi, Orange roughi,
    tilapia, Sardines)
    Shrimp
    Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
    Venison
    Buffalo
    Ostrich
    Eggs
    Low or Non-Fat Cottage cheese, Ricotta
    Low fat or Non fat Yogurt
    Rib eye Steaks or Roast
    Top Round Steaks or Roast (stew meat, London broil, Stir fry)
    Top Sirloin (Sirloin Top Butt)
    Beef Tenderloin (filet mignon )
    Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
    Flank Steak (Stir Fry, Fajitas)
    Eye of Round (Cube meat, Stew meat,
    Bottom Round)
    Ground Turkey, Turkey Breast slices
    or cutlets

Oatmeal (Old fashioned, Quick oats,
    Irish steal cut)
    Sweet Potatoes, Yams
    Brown rice
    Ezekial bread
    Whole wheat bread

Green Leafy lettuce (red, green, romaine)
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    String Beans
    Spinach
    Bell Peppers (Green or Red)
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Carrots
    Eggplant
    Onions
    Pumpkin
    Garlic
    Tomatoes
    Zucchini
    Kale

Fruit
    bananas, oranges, apples, grapefruit,
    peaches, strawberries, blueberries,
    raspberries, lemons or limes

Natural Style Peanut Butter/Almond butter
    Olive oil, Safflower oil
    Flax seed oil
    Fish Oil
    Nuts (peanuts, almonds, walnuts)
    Avocado

Low of Non-Fat cottage cheese, Ricotta
    Low or non-fat milk
    Low fat or non-fat yogurt

Mustard
    Garlic
    Iced tea
    Mushrooms
    Herbal tea
    Onions
    Dry seasonings (Herbal, etc.)
    Scallions
    Lemon
    Salt
    Pepper
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, if I had to actively think about and plan how many grams of protein or carbs I ate in a day, or what percentage of my food intake those would be, or in what order I ate them...... I'd never actually do it. That's why no other "diet" worked for me. And it is the beauty of the basic MFP calorie counting and logging.

Here's the thing. I'm always experimenting with food to see what I can eat that will keep me happy and full, give me energy and keep me under my calorie goal. The eye opening thing about MFP for me was that at the end of the day I could see how the food I ate balanced out and then adjust accordingly. I could see what were calorie bombs and decide if I wanted to include those things going forward. I could see what I ate that may not have been all that filling and caused me to eat more snacks or over eat later in the day. I could see overall nutritional value of food intake - sometimes it was very surprising, sometimes it just confirmed what I probably already new. In the process I've found a lot of food that I really, really like and that helps me stay on track.

And.... I could eat pizza if I really wanted to. Or whatever. As long as I logged it accurately I could/can see how it affects me that day and over time. Eventually I found myself learning more about food than I ever imagined rather than having someone tell me what to eat, but offering no explanation as to why to eat it.

Keep experimenting and finding things you like that fit your new lifestyle. The MFP tool will help you with that. It's a data center that you'd have to pay thousands of dollars for somewhere else. And you will make mistakes, but that is OK. It's part of the process. Make it easy on yourself so that you can maximize your ability to stick with it. Get some momentum.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

This! You don't need a specific diet plan. Just need to learn portion control and moderation. Read the sexy pants link given above and these 2 links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Find your weak areas. For me, that is fruits & veggies. So I make sure to have some every day. And then I know protein is important, so I make sure to get enough. Other than that, its filler. I don't try to get in carbs, fat - they just seem to happen naturally.

Shop for foods you enjoy. Look to prepare them in ways that don't add grease or such. So more baking than frying, for example.
    (Thank you StaciMarie197!)

I love what was said here. I start with the things that are beneficial and fill up on that first, produce and protein.
  • faithful0609
    faithful0609 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Watch the carbs. It turns to sugar in your body - so going "low fat" is not always the best. No white bread, white rice or anything white... always whole grains and breads with "sprouted grains". If you are into jelly and sauces (i.e., chocolate, caramel, etc), Smuckers makes a whole line of sugar free that are delicious - at your local store. Cut out juices and soda... protein is a key. Unfortunately I've had to start measuring and using a scale because I was definitely in need of portion control. You can eat the "nutrisystem" way without spending the money. I now steam my veggies in a steamer in the microwave - no butter or oil. Use "Lemon Pepper" spice on my veggies - makes them taste deliciou!
  • faithful0609
    faithful0609 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Also if you are a guacamole nut (like me) ... Wholly Guacamole has put out single serving cups that are 100 calories. They have plain or spicy ---- I find it at Target. I love having these cups because the "fat" in avacados is good for you - it's also portion control and the rest doesn't go bad.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Here are some websites that allow you to select recipes then give you the grocery list.

http://www.healthygrocerylist.com/
    http://allrecipes.com/
    http://www.myrecipes.com/

You can also search "Healthy meal plans" for ideas to get you started.