I HATE eggs! Help me

kwatkin
kwatkin Posts: 81 Member
Since I was a child, I couldn't stand eggs... the smell, the texture (when cracking an egg for baking, or when scrambling them for my family). I know how good eggs are for you though and would love to introduce them to my meals - primarily breakfast to amp up my protein there. Any past egg-haters have suggestions? I've tried doing an omelette with onions and cheese (2 loves), but even so, I was forcing it down... I want to still enjoy what I eat!!

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Eat some chicken instead.

Or. Idk. I don't see the point in eat things you don't like. I'm a hippie like that.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    I buy liquid egg whites and add them to my smoothies. You can't taste it. But, if you don't like eggs don't eat them :-) I'd look for other protein sources before eating something I hate. Good luck!
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    If you don't like them, don't eat them. They aren't magical- I'm sure there's something out there that you do like, and is comparable.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    So don't eat eggs? There's no dieting rule that you have to.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    There are all sorts of protein alternatives to eggs
    Protein cereals-fiber one, honey bunches of oats, other brands make with good protein counts
    adding a little bit of protein powder to oatmeal or a smoothie or a shake
    greek yogurt
    chicken, bacon, turkey

seriously, don't eat eggs if you don't like eggs
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Had the same problem as you for a long time until last year when I forced myself to make an Omlette. Would normally have turkey sausage, onion and peppers in it. Can now eat scrambled as well. Still cant do boiled or any other way. Its still hard to have to look at them to crack and whist but once I got over it the first time I'm now fine.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    I scramble mine with Canadian bacon and cheese. But it seems like it's the eggs you can't get past. Maybe salsa on them? My husband puts Crystal hot sauce or salsa on his.

Otherwise, I agree with everyone else - if you just can't stand them - don't eat them. There are other ways to get your protein. :flowerforyou:
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member

This.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    egg are very good for you, nothing to panic about
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Don't like eggs, don't eat them. I eat what I like. You should too...
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    You could use tofu instead. I scramble up tofu like eggs and I like it even better than eggs. I don't like the way eggs reheat, so by using tofu I can pack it up for work and reheat it and it still tastes good. The texture isn't as mushy either. You could also do a combo of eggs and tofu (that's actually how I started when I wanted to add eggs back into my diet after not eating them for a long time).

My computer is giving me an issue right now, but if you google Isa Chandra tofu scramble, that's the recipe I use, though there are many different ones.

Also, maybe try using egg whites or half egg whites and half whole eggs? I've gotten so used to eating that way, that whole eggs now kinda grosses me out and I just don't like the taste of them.

Also, hard boiled eggs are a completely different experience - maybe you'll like them that way?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    You didn't mention that the taste bothers you, just the smell and the texture of raw. How do you feel about hard cooked eggs? You cook them in the shell so there is no raw slimy texture to deal with and you don't smell them while they are cooking.

If that doesn't work, I would find other protein sources. I can't stand fish even though I know the omegas in it are really good for me so I just don't eat any and find other sources to get my micronutrients from.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    I rarely eat eggs, maybe once a week. If you just want it for protein try protein shakes (whey isolate powder), protein bars (Quest and Pure Protein are fairly low in sugar and high in protein), greek yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, almonds, beef jerky, peanut butter, whole milk, chicken breast, lean meats.
  • ashleyd1210
    ashleyd1210 Posts: 11 Member
    I scramble mine with cheese, diced tomatoes, and mushrooms, and sprinkle pepper on them. I like eggs but can't eat them plain.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I love eggs, but there are healthy foods I don't like, and I just don't eat them. You don't need eggs in your diet.

On the other hand, you can also always make French toast. ;-) I made blueberry pancakes over the holiday weekend with the Bob's Red Mill 10 grain mix--added one egg per serving and left out the oil--and they were awesome. Probably too many calories if the goal is just to eat an egg, however.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    egg are very good for you, nothing to panic about

solid response.

OP, like others have said...you dont have to eat eggs. dont make this more difficult than it needs to be. :flowerforyou:
  • kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member
    Thanks everyone. I know I don't need to eat something I don't like (I hate fish and no amount of convincing would ever make me eat it), but I just feel like I need to eat eggs to be an adult or something... haha I don't know. Not really a fan of eating heavy things like chicken for breakfast though.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    if youre after more protein, have you considered cottage cheese?

goes great with a nice bit of fruit or all by itself.

i'm a big fan and it packs a good amount of protein per serving.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Thanks everyone. I know I don't need to eat something I don't like (I hate fish and no amount of convincing would ever make me eat it), but I just feel like I need to eat eggs to be an adult or something... haha I don't know. Not really a fan of eating heavy things like chicken for breakfast though.

Well if it's that big a deal to you, start trying eggs in the many ways they can be cooked. I had to do that with yogurt. I just kept trying different brands and flavors until I found something tolerable. Now I actually like it.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Eat chicken, beef, pork, nuts, beans instead. I hate eggs too but I am not going to choke them down for the sake of losing weight. You don't have to have breakfast food for breakfast you know.

If that is too heavy opt for some milk with protein powder in it.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    I hate eggs. I can eat them in baked goods or something that you can't taste the egg. I can't eat them on their own, on french toast or anything that you can see or taste the egg. Something about the texture really gets to me but the taste makes me gag as well. Its a bummer because they are good for you but there is so much out there that I can eat that will hit my protein macros so oh well. I'm not going to force myself to eat something that I don't like.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Eat something else. Why would you eat something you don't like?

Only suggestion I have for you is French toast - my daughter hates eggs but she likes that.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,961 Member
    I was like that as a kid... but when I retried them as an adult I simply liked them (except the smell). Mixing in cheese really helped me like them more. Plus the grease from the cheese meant I didn't have to use butter when frying them. And then top with salsa and peppers and onions, and mushrooms... and maybe bacon bits!

Otherwise, just try mixing eggs in with other foods like rice and pasta.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    I have to agree, if you don't like them don't eat them. There's no reason you have to eat them. If you are dead set on having them despite your dislike of them though; I used to think I hated eggs until my fiance brought home some free range eggs he purchased out of some guys back yard. They smelled so good when he cooked them up I tried some. I like eggs now, even just sunny side up, as long as they're free range. The other option: put them into things that aren't egg-y, like pancakes. I made coconut flour pancakes this morning, two eggs per serving.
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    If you do not like eggs, do not force yourself to eat eggs. There are other ways to get protein.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Right. No one says you have to eat them.

You could try making crepes, though, if you really want to get eggs in your diet.
  • alireba88
    alireba88 Posts: 21
    if youre after more protein, have you considered cottage cheese?

goes great with a nice bit of fruit or all by itself.

i'm a big fan and it packs a good amount of protein per serving.

This.

I'm not a fan of eggs either. I'll eat them with other stuff, like in a breakfast burrito or a scamble with veggies and potatoes... or, you know, smothered in country gravy. :wink:

But I looove cottage cheese. My normal breakfast is cottage cheese, some sort of fruit, a piece of toast with a tbsp off peanut butter and a glass of milk. I find its enough protein to get my motor revving for the day.
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Pancake: 1 egg, 2 T oat ran, 2 T Greek yogurt or ricotta, 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder. I eat this with a few blueberries and lite syrup, and a slice or two of thin ham

Custard: 1 egg, 1/4 C skim milk, 1 packet trivia, drop of vanilla. Bake in water pan for 30min . This makes a flan-like custard if you like that sort of thing.

Non-egg: a high protein toaster waffle topped with a big scoop of ricotta topped with strawberries. I mix a little truvia into the ricotta.
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member

. I don't see the point in eat things you don't like. I'm a hippie like that.

QFT