Lighter Crab Cakes with Spicy Rémoulade :) :) :)

Options
2»

Replies

• WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been craving crab cakes. Like, real ones. Made from scratch and served with rémoulade. And, idiot me had just assumed that there was no way to make them lighter than my trusty, tried-and-true recipe - which yields about 4 extra large cakes with about 7.4 million calories each.

So, I started doing some research and came across this recipe for Lighter Crab Cakes with Spicy Rémoulade, which I made last night. Wow. Incredible. Delicious. And...REAL.

Does it seem like a bunch of ingredients. Okay, yeah. Worth it? Totally. Trust me.

Ingredients:

Crab cakes:
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1 1/2 tablespoons canola-based mayonnaise (Hellman's makes a canola-based mayo)
    1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind (just do it)
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 large egg
    1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
    1 pound lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed
    1 tablespoon olive oil, divided

Rémoulade:
    1/4 cup canola-based mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon chopped shallots
    1 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped
    2 teaspoons Creole mustard (must)
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Nutritional Information:
    Amount per serving (4 servings per recipe - 1 serving is 2 crab cakes and 1 1/2 tablespoons rémoulade)
    Calories: 292
    Fat: 22g
    Saturated fat: 1.6g
    Monounsaturated fat: 7.8g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 10.2g
    Protein: 18.7g
    Carbohydrate: 5g
    Fiber: 0.5g
    Cholesterol: 161mg
    Iron: 1.2mg
    Sodium: 571mg
    Calcium: 53mg

Dear crab cakes - despite being a lighter version of a classic, thank you for still being REAL. You are certainly not the Paris Hilton of the food world.

Sorry, Paris. Just a little joke. You have great hair.

Actually, I haven’t even seen your hair for about three years now, ever since I gave up reading People.

But I’m sure it’s still lovely.

Enjoy! :)

Source???

I came across it in an old Cooking Light magazine. Guess I should've mentioned that in the original post. Sorry. :)

A quick google search turned up the source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/crab-cakes-spicy-remoulade-50400000120266/

Please post sources in your recipes, people (not just directed to you, OP)! Not posting sources is a violation of the T&C of this forum, and in case you couldn't tell, it really strikes a nerve in me! People work hard to come up with recipes for magazines, blogs, etc. and they do NOT appreciate their copyrights being violated.

Certainly. So - is it enough to just say that it was found in a Cooking Light magazine, or is there a specific format that is required? Just curious so that I make sure to give proper credit next time...
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy.
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • chopsart
    chopsart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I plan on trying this recipe this weekend! Thanks
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been craving crab cakes. Like, real ones. Made from scratch and served with rémoulade. And, idiot me had just assumed that there was no way to make them lighter than my trusty, tried-and-true recipe - which yields about 4 extra large cakes with about 7.4 million calories each.

So, I started doing some research and came across this recipe for Lighter Crab Cakes with Spicy Rémoulade, which I made last night. Wow. Incredible. Delicious. And...REAL.

Does it seem like a bunch of ingredients. Okay, yeah. Worth it? Totally. Trust me.

Ingredients:

Crab cakes:
    1 large egg

Rémoulade:
    1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Nutritional Information:
    Amount per serving (4 servings per recipe - 1 serving is 2 crab cakes and 1 1/2 tablespoons rémoulade)

Dear crab cakes - despite being a lighter version of a classic, thank you for still being REAL. You are certainly not the Paris Hilton of the food world.

Actually, I haven’t even seen your hair for about three years now, ever since I gave up reading People.

Source???

I came across it in an old Cooking Light magazine. Guess I should've mentioned that in the original post. Sorry. :)

A quick google search turned up the source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/crab-cakes-spicy-remoulade-50400000120266/

Please post sources in your recipes, people (not just directed to you, OP)! Not posting sources is a violation of the T&C of this forum, and in case you couldn't tell, it really strikes a nerve in me! People work hard to come up with recipes for magazines, blogs, etc. and they do NOT appreciate their copyrights being violated.

Certainly. So - is it enough to just say that it was found in a Cooking Light magazine, or is there a specific format that is required? Just curious so that I make sure to give proper credit next time...

Actually he inadvertently did not violate the copyright because he did not post the preparation instructions. Lists of ingredients are not copyright protected.

But anyway, thank you for posting the source so I could find the prep instructions. I've NEVER made crab cakes before. :flowerforyou:
  • WadeLam
    Options
    Actually he inadvertently did not violate the copyright because he did not post the preparation instructions. Lists of ingredients are not copyright protected.

But anyway, thank you for posting the source so I could find the prep instructions. I've NEVER made crab cakes before. :flowerforyou:
    You are amazing. :) And hope you love those crab cakes as much as I do! I'm actually making them again this evening myself.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options

Ingredients:

Crab cakes:
    1 large egg

Rémoulade:
    1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Nutritional Information:

Source???

I understand where you're coming from, but I still believe if you're going to blatantly copy something you should give credit where credit is due. I like seeing the source because sometimes the person who reproduces the recipe might change something small, which may affect the results. I prefer to cook directly from the original source recipe, when available.

Also, because the OP didn't post the instructions, without knowing the source it would be difficult to actually make the recipe as intended, as you pointed out.

To the OP - yes, I think saying it was found in a Cooking Light magazine would be fine and greatly appreciated next time! I apologize if I seemed like I was attacking you; I've been getting more and more frustrated with people posting recipes without the source that I took out all my rage on you. :flowerforyou:
  • WadeLam
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from, but I still believe if you're going to blatantly copy something you should give credit where credit is due. I like seeing the source because sometimes the person who reproduces the recipe might change something small, which may affect the results. I prefer to cook directly from the original source recipe, when available.

Also, because the OP didn't post the instructions, without knowing the source it would be difficult to actually make the recipe as intended, as you pointed out.

To the OP - yes, I think saying it was found in a Cooking Light magazine would be fine and greatly appreciated next time! I apologize if I seemed like I was attacking you; I've been getting more and more frustrated with people posting recipes without the source that I took out all my rage on you. :flowerforyou:
    Attacked? Okay, yeah, maybe. Lesson learned? Definitely. :) Every single recipe I've posted since then has had a source. :)