Quick easy ways to get protein in?

Options
I struggle getting my protein in and I'm not a good cook. Anyone have some quick, easy ways to get protein in?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    eggs, or protein shakes are the easiest
  • AnswerzPwease
    AnswerzPwease Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Thanks! I thought about the protein shakes just not sure I want to spend $75 However often. Maybe I'll hard boil some eggs!
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is also quick and easy. Quest Bars are easy, fast, and delicious.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be a good cook to cook chicken breasts. Even a little salt and pepper, or whatever, will be fine, then cook at 350 for 20-30 minutes depending on size and your oven.

I grill a big package and then microwave some and eat it with leftover sides or pasta sauce or salsa. Very fast, very easy, very proteiny.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

Thanks! I thought about the protein shakes just not sure I want to spend $75 However often. Maybe I'll hard boil some eggs!
    depending on where you buy your protein it can actually be one of the cheapest sources of protein out there. hard boiled eggs are great though, very convenient to make and take on the go
  • AnswerzPwease
    AnswerzPwease Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be a good cook to cook chicken breasts. Even a little salt and pepper, or whatever, will be fine, then cook at 350 for 20-30 minutes depending on size and your oven.

I grill a big package and then microwave some and eat it with leftover sides or pasta sauce or salsa. Very fast, very easy, very proteiny.

So you just buy a package of chicken breasts, sprinkle some salt and pepper then bake?
  • MrsFatbap2014
    MrsFatbap2014 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    How about quinoa and use instead of rice or mixed with veg or salad, it is quite bland so you need to flavour it
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Anyone have some quick, easy ways to get protein in?

In what? Ba-dum-tssss.

The quickest and easiest is the protein shake. Eggs, canned tuna, and precooked chicken are pretty quick as well. Chicken breasts are one of my favorite things to have around. You can add it to nearly ever meal and still change things up.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Tuna Fish
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Seriously? I can make > 25 2 scoop (50g) shakes for less than $50 in good quality protein
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    edamame beans... easy to find in frozen section.
    Just add them to veggies,rice, anything... easy to cook.....boiled or microwaved... or just add them with whatever you're cooking (like rice) and they'll cook by themselves.... High protein,low calories,low fat and they taste almost nothing until you mix them with something.... which they'll take the taste of etc.... Very simple quick way
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

$75?! Why the hell would you need to buy protein powder that expensive? Mine is $28 for a 3 lb tub and you can get decent protein powder at Walmart for under $20.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Hard boiled eggs are the way to go for sure. Portable, require no utensils or condiments, and delicious.
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I agree cheapest and easiest way would be Protein bars and Boiled eggs. Cascadian Farms makes an awesome Honey nut protein bar I just love!!!
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options

So you just buy a package of chicken breasts, sprinkle some salt and pepper then bake?

You could bake, but it's faster in a skillet, and easier to gauge. Frozen fish fillets are also a good way to go - salmon is my preference, but tilapia is cheaper and very good too - and I like to keep black beans in my fridge to toss into salads or throw into spanish rice or something for an extra little boost of protein.
  • kathym617
    kathym617 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As uncool as they are, slow cookers (crockpots) are great for cooking up chicken breast. We will often throw a bunch in before leaving for work in the morning and leave it on low for 6-8 hours (ours turns to warm at the end of the cook cycle). When we get home, we shred it. You can then put it on a salad or in a burrito or in a sandwich (or any number of other options). You can dress it up with herbs/seasonings/sauces before or after cooking.

I'm also a fan of egg white omelettes.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Seriously? I can make > 25 2 scoop (50g) shakes for less than $50 in good quality protein

@Jac - what brand do you buy?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Tuna Fish

Yep. One of those 2.6 oz packets of tuna has 17 g of protein.
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Beef or turkey jerky and greek yogurt.
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes aren't that expensive if you look at the total grams of protein you get for the cost.
    I buy a 5lb bag for $59 and it lasts a lot longer than $60 of chicken breasts.