Consecutive Day Running Advice?

Options
I've been running off and on for about 3 years now. I'm not fast and I don't go far. But I want to change that. I've typically run every other day when in a routine, but I feel like that gives me an excuse to be lazy on my "off" days. I ran this morning (first time in 3 weeks) and I want to run tomorrow again, but I don't want to be disappointed. I'm already feeling my quads from this morning's run, so does anyone have any advice for someone just starting out running in consecutive days?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Keep the distances short.
    You might be best to get 4-5 weeks consistently running every other day. Then start adding in a short consecutive day run.
  • ag27404
    ag27404 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Could you cross train on your 'off-running' days? I tried running daily but it took a toll on my body, specifically my knees. So I started to add in other activities (weight lifting, swimming and biking) to compliment my running. It has not only helped keep me from getting bored or burnt out on running, but also helped strengthen the rest of my body which has in turn helped me be a more rounded runner. Now I can run 3-4 days in a row without any issues, but I've built myself up to that level over the past year.

But if you want to run every day:
    - Start with shorter distances
    - Mix it up - do speed work one day, a long run the next, etc
    -Run on different surfaces (softer surfaces are nicer to your knees)

Good luck.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You might be best to get 4-5 weeks consistently running every other day. Then start adding in a short consecutive day run.

Yep, this ^^

Besides, if your running is so sporadic that you last ran 3 weeks ago, what possible benefit do you seek by doing an arbitrary consecutive run?
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

^This. Did you have an event in mind? 5k 10k half full? Helps to know what distance you want to get to, then find a training plan for that distance.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I've been running off and on for about 3 years now. I'm not fast and I don't go far. But I want to change that. I've typically run every other day when in a routine, but I feel like that gives me an excuse to be lazy on my "off" days. I ran this morning (first time in 3 weeks) and I want to run tomorrow again, but I don't want to be disappointed . I'm already feeling my quads from this morning's run, so does anyone have any advice for someone just starting out running in consecutive days?

I have highlighted some words for you from your text. I see an answer for you in your question.

The baseline to excel at anything is "do it more- do it often."
    The more you do the same thing again and again WITH A PLAN you start getting better at it. This applies to anything - running included.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Most important thing is patience and consistent.

Your first day will be great. Wake up the next day and you won't want to run again for 3 weeks.

So the main thing is, don't try and do too much in one day. In the beginning, you may run 3x-5x a week at various distances and paces. You will do much better the day after a race, but if you go balls to the wall, it will make running the next day seem like a huge chore. On those days where running will be tough, your pace may have to go a bit slower and/or shorter distance. But stay consistent and it will get easier. Once it gets easier, then you increase the distance that you run each week by a little bit making it tough again. Your 3x-5x a week runs will eventually become 5x-6x a week runs with one of them being a long run.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I've been running off and on for about 3 years now. I'm not fast and I don't go far. But I want to change that. I've typically run every other day when in a routine, but I feel like that gives me an excuse to be lazy on my "off" days. I ran this morning (first time in 3 weeks) and I want to run tomorrow again, but I don't want to be disappointed. I'm already feeling my quads from this morning's run, so does anyone have any advice for someone just starting out running in consecutive days?
    Easy way to combat this....
    Day 1: Run your normal amount,
    Day 2: Run half of your normal amount,
    Day 3. Rest.
    REPEAT.

Once you start to get used to that second day in a row then maybe up the distance, or add in some interval runs. I run 3 days in a row, distance, HIIT shorter sprints and then the 3rd in a row is a whatever run I feel like that day.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Based on my experience:

I started running strictly for weight loss. Distance and speed was not an issue. I just looked at calories burned. Because of this, I ran every day (and I mean, every single day) knowing it's not the best for training. Once my weight got nearer to my goal, I started running every other day. I kept most of my runs pretty short and did 1 long run a week. When I switched to alternating days, my running got much stronger, and more fun. I also noticed an increase in speed and distance.

To avoid the "lazy" feeling on non-running days, I started biking. I find it to be a good complement to running.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I've tended to run 3 to 4 days per week and with no races coming up I rather lost my way in the early part of they year, running sporadically and without structure.

I am currently running 6 days per week as I train for my first marathon. On the 7th day I do some low effort cycling for 45 mins.

I have found the transition to 6 days to be surprisingly easy. IMO the key (and you will see this if you look at a cross section of plans) is to alternate hard workouts with east workouts. This isn't quite the same as the suggestions above to half the distance on alternate days.

So what is an easy day? Typically anything at a slow, easy pace. Probably in the region of 30 mins to 1 hour.
    Hard days can be the long slow run, an intervals run, a pace run, repeats, hill sprints etc.

Even if you aren't interested in improving pace and fitness, this kind of variety (in my experience) helps keep things interesting and relieves the monotony.
  • Christi132
    Christi132 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been running for four or five consecutive days, then I take a few days off. I know this isn't ideal, but it works with my schedule. Anyways... after taking a few days off, I always start with a very short run (2-3 miles) and usually that's my hardest day. Each run after that first day back gets much longer, faster and easier.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

^^ Another vote for this. Consistency is key.

If you are chomping at the bit to do consecutive run days, make your second day a SLOW recovery jog and don't push the pace. At all. The last thing you want to do is force an injury by trying to do too much too quick.