Newbie here....I'm scared but I need to do this now.

Options
2»

Replies

• ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks scott...my first goal was to commit now I have to find something where I can workout...I am giving myself a couple of weeks o find something and then gonna shake it up. How is this board with pep talks and stuff. I don't get much from this side other than from my parents now (they are very supportive). Any other pointers. The treadmill has always been my fav...as long as I keep moving I hope will be good....it's wheni stopped I spiraled downhill. Thanks for the suport

The interaction here can be helpful, however, it has its limitations.

Unless you decide to do something about your physical condition, no amount of support is going to achieve that goal for you.

I have found that a lot of folks who come here are desperately looking for help with losing weight. However, for whatever reason they drop out after a short time.

It's a hard process, believe me, I know. That's why I say, unless you're determined to lose weight on your own, have a plan in place and work the plan yourself, no amount of interaction here, electronic gadgets like fitbit, etc., will do it.

There are no mystery weight loss diets, pills, gadgets, forums or accountability groups. It starts with you and ultimately ends with you.

The end ;-)
  • PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I understand. I started my journey on May 28th and have a very long journey ahead of me.

Take 1 day at a time. Start by logging your food, even if its a bad day. Weigh once a week and check-in.

It helps for me to be accountable. You can do this! One step at a time.
  • DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no reason to be scared! The decision to get healthy is the best decision any of us can make!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you..you got this!

anyone can add me if they wish
  • meparker757
    meparker757 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A good start is by logging your food in MFP. Once you see an overview of what your eating, you can start making adjustments. Good Luck!
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    Here is a ginormous brain dump... I'm sure all the other MFPers are sick of seeing this already, but it's what helped me so I like to share it....

The good news is you don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better.

++Track for a week or two before worrying about losing. This way you'll see where you really stand, odds are it is different than where you thought you were, which is actually good news... information is power

++Be scrupulously honest... you can lie to your friends, you can lie in your diary, you can lie to yourself, but YOUR BODY KNOWS EVERYTHING YOU EAT. So you might as well be honest in your diary (keep it private if you like) but you need that info because you can't get where you are going if your are not honest about where you are right now.

++See where you can make small changes on things that aren't so important to you.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

++Focus on what you should eat not what your shouldn't.
    Eating your nutritious foods first. Your body will be more satisfied and have less cravings.

++Small sustainable changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress.
    (and who doesn't have stress?)
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort, sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves. Also rather than having to think about everything all the time. You only have to think about a 2 or 3 new things to focus on.

++Rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me. (I swear this saved my life.) I was happier once I gave myself a range:

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: MFP Calories for lose 1 lb a week (when that hit 1200 I changed to lose 1/2 lb per week)
    TOP OF RANGE: Maintain Calories for my GOAL Weight.
    (SAFETY VALVE: Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose)

++Only worry about it 1 lb at a time.
    Forget I *NEED* to lose 20, 30, 50, 100 lbs. I'm only worried about 1 lb the next one. I'll worry about the others later.
    Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as achievable. )

++Think of losing weight like the stock market. Yes, there will be fluctuations but as long as the overall trend is the the right direction don't worry

Food is not the enemy. You need nutrition to fuel your body and make it strong. and healthy just feels so damn good.

Most vitamins are fat soluble... so remember to include plant and fish based fats (HAPPY FATS) so you can access the nutrients in your food.

All of your foods fall into 1 or more of 3 macro nutrient categories
    FATS • CARBS • PROTEINS ... I personally think it's unwise to severely restrict any one of these categories.
    Instead of eliminating or limiting quantity focus on the quality...

HAPPY FATS (Plant and fish bases)
    COMPLEX CARBS (un or minimally processed)
    LEAN PROTEINS

Oddly enough, on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occasional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time, now the occasional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.

all of this! i loved this, well said!
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options

As for the pains you get in your back. I have had lower back issues for years. I find that the pain improves greatly and occasionally disappears completely when I focus on strengthening my core and specifically my abdomen. I find this gives me the support I need to help reduce the pressure off my back. My suggestions until you move would be to look for Pilates and yoga videos on YouTube that you can do while the kids are otherwise entertained.

this ^^ also! i've also had very bad back problems and pilates was my salvation the first time i lost weight! i still love it now and do it a couple times a week. i exercise in the morning before anyone gets up, but the few times i haven't, the kids LOVE doing it too (especially yoga)....everything can be 'modified' to your ability. not giving up and keep moving is the trick. there's no way in heck i can do all the moves, but i get as close as i can without hurting myself, for as long as i can.
  • handicapsmile64
    Options
    Hey there! I, too, am aware that my back (and knees) are paying for the additional weight I am carrying around. Simple tasks such as laundry or grocery shopping become painful ordeals that leave me breathless and hurting. I have just starting working with MFP again and would love the help with motivation and encouragement. We need to do this. For ourselves and for our children!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    You already have lots of info.
    One day at a time.
    You can do this.

Lots of moms still make the time for a short workout every day.

You Can Do It!

Set those goals, hang on to your reasons, post them around your house!

Stop eating what your kids don't on their plates (yup, i know we do that!)
  • kids183
    kids183 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You'll find most people on here are very helpful!

I'm in sort of the same situation as you. I'm a full time working mother of 4. Though I have two teenagers, finding time is still difficult with work and running a household of 6.

You have gotten some great information from the other members of this thread!

I also have back issues. I have sciatica, which causes me great pain now and again, so I would suggest starting very slowly. As suggested, swimming is a great form of exercise! After I started losing the weight, I found the back pain wasn't as common (unless of course I really pushed myself at the gym - which I often do). I find that on really tough days, I am using my heating pad on my back while I'm eating dinner in the evening. I have many allergies and cannot take a lot of pills - so I usually go with other methods that work. My heating pad is my best friend!

You have this! And there are many people willing to help!

Feel free to add me - I always welcome new friends and I log everyday (I believe my streak is 173 today)!

:flowerforyou:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! and congrats on taking the first step. Here is a link to a very helpful blog post full of useful info and links to even more useful info.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin

In regards to exercise, just do what you can when you can with the intent to do better each time you try. Never compare yourself to anyone but yourself. If you are better today than you were last week, that is positive progress. It takes a long time but the time will pass regardless. May as well make the most of it and be better for it.

Also:
    "Losing weight is hard. Being overweight/unhealthy is hard. Choose your hard"
    "When you want it badly enough, you will find a way. Until then, you will find excuses"
    "You haven't failed until you quit trying"

Good luck to you in reaching all your goals.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    all this info is great , I don't know if anyone said it but find a link which will teach you to stretch your body, this will eliminate most pain and let blood flow to areas where you need it the most. a beginner Yoga class might be best but if you are stuck at home a dvd will do as well.
  • Luckyfish72
    Luckyfish72 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Very good advice ^^^^^!
    I also have many back issues and can't walk very long, but the elliptical and bike riding are pain free.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Begin by logging your food and losing weight. You can lose weight without exercise. As you lose weight the walking will become easier. Start with short distances.

This^^^

I didn't exercise when I first started. It was all too much at once. Definitely start logging food. You can do exercises at home - dvd's or you tube has lots of exercise videos.
  • shannonahenderson
    Options
    Here is a ginormous brain dump... I'm sure all the other MFPers are sick of seeing this already, but it's what helped me so I like to share it....

The good news is you don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better.

++Track for a week or two before worrying about losing. This way you'll see where you really stand, odds are it is different than where you thought you were, which is actually good news... information is power

++Be scrupulously honest... you can lie to your friends, you can lie in your diary, you can lie to yourself, but YOUR BODY KNOWS EVERYTHING YOU EAT. So you might as well be honest in your diary (keep it private if you like) but you need that info because you can't get where you are going if your are not honest about where you are right now.

++See where you can make small changes on things that aren't so important to you.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

++Focus on what you should eat not what your shouldn't.
    Eating your nutritious foods first. Your body will be more satisfied and have less cravings.

++Small sustainable changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress.
    (and who doesn't have stress?)
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort, sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves. Also rather than having to think about everything all the time. You only have to think about a 2 or 3 new things to focus on.

++Rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me. (I swear this saved my life.) I was happier once I gave myself a range:

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: MFP Calories for lose 1 lb a week (when that hit 1200 I changed to lose 1/2 lb per week)
    TOP OF RANGE: Maintain Calories for my GOAL Weight.
    (SAFETY VALVE: Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose)

++Only worry about it 1 lb at a time.
    Forget I *NEED* to lose 20, 30, 50, 100 lbs. I'm only worried about 1 lb the next one. I'll worry about the others later.
    Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as achievable. )

++Think of losing weight like the stock market. Yes, there will be fluctuations but as long as the overall trend is the the right direction don't worry

Food is not the enemy. You need nutrition to fuel your body and make it strong. and healthy just feels so damn good.

Most vitamins are fat soluble... so remember to include plant and fish based fats (HAPPY FATS) so you can access the nutrients in your food.

All of your foods fall into 1 or more of 3 macro nutrient categories
    FATS • CARBS • PROTEINS ... I personally think it's unwise to severely restrict any one of these categories.
    Instead of eliminating or limiting quantity focus on the quality...

HAPPY FATS (Plant and fish bases)
    COMPLEX CARBS (un or minimally processed)
    LEAN PROTEINS

Oddly enough, on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occasional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time, now the occasional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.

This was GREAT advice!!! Thank you!
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Begin by logging your food and losing weight. You can lose weight without exercise. As you lose weight the walking will become easier. Start with short distances.

This. ^^
    When I started I couldn't even make it up a flight of stairs without stopping to rest.
    You can do this, just don't give up.
    Good luck to you.
    Agree! As the weight comes off you'll have more energy and more desire to exercise. And don't think you're not exercising already. I'm not trying to insult (I'm in the same boat) but every time you move you are carrying more weight than if you were weight lifting. Just move around a little more every day. Sweep a floor, housework can be a great work out. In fact you can log it MFP under exercise.
  • mspianomistress
    Options
    Congratulations on taking that first step. Like other posters have replied, I suggest you start by logging everything you eat. You may find that just having something like a food log for accountability will really help you see what you are eating and start making positive changes.