NEED HELP!!---ADIPEX!

Options
Yesterday my doctor put me on adipex, seeing that i am at 261 at 23 years of age. Im really scared to take pills but i know i must of been prescribed for a reason. My family comes from high blood pressure, diabetes is why i need to change..

I solely dont believe in the pill, It may help but i want to change my lifestyle not just for the moment..

Has anyone been on this pill,if so how was or is your journey going>

Replies

• Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor talk to you about diet and exercise as well or just give you a pill? I'd be reluctant to take it if it seemed like a bandaid fix, but if your doctor is truly invested in your health then I would do as the doctor says.
  • gaucincyn
    gaucincyn Posts: 21
    Options
    Yes he did, but he did put me on a 1000 calorie diet which idk seems a little too strict!
  • Jess__I__Can
    Options
    That seems way too strict. Maybe get a second opinion? If you are in the US I know that is expensive to do! I believe (not an expert) that no one should have less than 1200 calories a day. Have you tried diet and exercise without medication before?
  • gaucincyn
    gaucincyn Posts: 21
    Options
    yes i have and was loosing but stopped when my dad passed away
  • Jess__I__Can
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that. :( I don't have experience with Adipex but I say give it a try if your doctor thinks its a good idea.
  • jwat90
    jwat90 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was on it the beginning of last year. The first day I could feel my heart racing, but after that I didn't notice it anymore. I was on it for about 3 months and really didn't lose anything at all. It was like 5 lbs but my doctor told me to eat a healthy diet with it so it was probably more my diet than the pill. I have actually done better with MFP and logging my calories everyday and drinking lots of water. I have already lost almost 11lbs in my first month. I wish you the best whatever you decide to do. Good luck!
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I started my journey with adipex. It is very helpful if you make life changes. I lost my first 15lbs with it and I have since lost much more. Be sure to exercise and although you wont feel like eating..be sure to get in 1500 cals a day...because THAT is why so many gain weight back...they just let the pill do its thing and don't change their lifestyles. Eat better, EXERCISE and take adipex as a helpful aid. You will see results...but you want them to last..you gotta put fourth some effort. :-D Best of luck to you.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you are morbidly obese unless you are a giant, so your doctor is giving you every opportunity to be successful as you start your weight loss. The adipex is not THE answer for you, but it will likely help you in the initial phase to curb your appetite. You probably can't exercise very well and that will improve as the pounds come off.

Good luck
  • bamagrits15
    bamagrits15 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Adipex helped me lose but I too was put on a very low calorie diet by a weight loss clinic. I gained back so much weight after I stopped going. I weighed more than I ever had before. I blame the extreme diet though.

There is also a medicine out called Qsymia that mixes apidex and some anti seizure medicine. The anti seizure medicine is supposed to control cravings. It is very expensive though. Honestly after working for a mass torts attorney I am scared to take new medicines but I have read some great things about it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP, if you don't feel comfortable taking the pill or eating at such a low calorie, don't do it. You're allowed to stand up for yourself when it comes to non life threatening medical advice. It'd be dumb not to take things like blood pressure meds or diabetes meds but this is a pill for weight loss so not exactly necessary.

Sorry for the loss of your Dad. That is rough stuff...

How long has it been since you lost weight? If you'd rather stick with the traditional/healthy path, just keep logging your food and exercising. You may not feel like it right now since you're in mourning but it's been proven that exercise can help your mental state. Sometimes you just have to force yourself to do something, even if it's just for 10-15 minutes. I know I usually feel better after a nice sweat - helps clear the mind.

Make it interesting - try some new workouts and new recipes. That usually helps kick my motivation back in gear.

Good luck!
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    DO NOT take it if you have ANY sort of addictive behavior.