Quick easy ways to get protein in?

Options

Replies

• Rainydaygirl1
    Rainydaygirl1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I bought a thing of unsalted nut mix. Lot's of protein and it helps me get in those extra calories. Also my protein whey powder a drink with some almond milk after exercise
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I grill 8 lbs of chicken every Sunday. find a spice you like and Coat them well. about 8 or 9 minutes per side over a medium heat. cut the biggest one open to make sure there's no pink. easy.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    (All prices for my region of U.S.)
    These are the cheapest sources of protein I know about, for comparison, when looking at the cost of what seems to be "expensive" protein powder. I consider all of these to be very inexpensive sources of protein.

The cheap Walmart protein powder = $.006 per gram of protein
    Tunafish = $0.016
    Canned salmon = $0.026
    Frozen raw chicken breasts = $0.019
    Frozen raw ground turkey = $0.018
    Cottage cheese = $0.027
    Whole eggs = $0.037
    Mozzarella = $0.028
    Dry Lentils = $0.013
    Dry navy beans = $0.015

Glad to see I'm not the only number lover who's done the math, lol! Every penny counts in my household, and this list is very close to my shopping list (except not canned salmon--I choose sardines--I like the taste better and I need the fish oil/fats).

I get lots of protein (100+ grams/day, more than I "need", but I'm a girl, so there's that) just from food. And...I save money since I don't buy protein powder that the rest of my family won't and don't need to take. But, I do see the very good necessity for protein powders for those who need it. Get what you like, what you want to pay, and what is readily available.

ETA: Oh, and my diary's public, for those who want to get an idea of "how I do it." With 1-2 times a month exceptions (especially this last weekend, lol I regret nothing), I hit my protein needs on food only (90-100g minimum of protein, on a 1500 cal/day average).:flowerforyou:
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I eat a container of greek yogurt with a scoop of protein powder. That is 45 g of protein alone just for a snack!
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't think I need a huge amount of protein but I get mine from cashew nuts, eating hoummous on bagels and eating yogurt every day . For those drinking protein shakes etc, is that to build muscle mass when weight training?

Protein does not "build muscle." Getting an adequate amount of protein is important in any diet, but especially if you're working out and definitely when you're doing strength training (which everyone should be doing if their goal is to look good). 1 g/lb of lean body mass is pretty standard, and many people that lift heavy will take in 1 g/lb of body weight.

I'm not sure why you don't think you need much protein.
    I eat my 20% protein as recommended on the basic MFP guide but I meant I don't need extra as I mainly do cardio.
  • beckydragonpoet
    beckydragonpoet Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mahi mahi, easy to cook, tones of proten, low in calories.
  • matth71
    matth71 Posts: 2
    Options
    I grill a lot of chicken breasts with an electric griddle (Cuisnart Griddler). I use different spices to mix it up (e.g. Lemon Pepper, Mrs. Dash, Mojo marinade, BBQ sauce). I cook several breasts at a time and prep veggies or rice to go with them. This way I have several days worth of meals prepared in advance.

I have several flavors of protein powders which I'll mix with either greek yogurt or skim milk. Plus I throw in different fruits to get the added nutritional benefits of those.

This has helped me to boost my protein intake to over 100 grams with little effort.

Good luck!

Hmm protein powder in yogurt.... will try this.

+1 sounds a great idea
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I eat a container of greek yogurt with a scoop of protein powder. That is 45 g of protein alone just for a snack!

^^ I do this too!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I like ARO whey protein isolate powder, I buy it from Vitacost. 1 serving (2 scoops) 30 grams of protein. Last time I bought it, I got 2 5 lb. containers for $50 ($25 per container) because of a BOGO deal, you just have to get it at the right time.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I pimp up my greek yogurt even more - add protein powder and body360 whey protein crunchies. 1/2 scoop has 24g protein and its flavorless - just adds crunch to the yogurt.

Protein pancakes - 2 scoops protein powder (flavors like vanilla ice cream or cinnabun or banana cream or chocolate candy or anything fun), 4 oz any milk (i use so delicious almond milk plus protein) and 1 egg. Stir and cook like pancakes (It makes 3-4 for me). Not all powders work as well for this... I top it with sugar free fruit preserves and light whipped cream... yummy...

Add protein powder to hot tea or coffee instead of cream. I use white chocolate powder and sugar free white chocolate syrup into earl grey tea and its like white hot cocoa. Caramel syrup and toffee flavored protein etc work well too.
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    1HappyTurtleRunner Posts: 125 Member
    Options

I am going to try this, great idea!
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I usually buy:
    Cereal with protein,( between 8 to 11 grams of protein)
    Starkish tuna pouch ( 14 grams. to 18 grams of protein) What I like about it is that it has a flavor so I don't have to add anything.
    Turkey meat in a little can.
    String cheese is (between 6 to 7 grams of protein)
    But chicken breast is the best source of protein.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    egg whites, greek yogurt, string cheese, protein shake (get a nutribullet :))
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

So you just buy a package of chicken breasts, sprinkle some salt and pepper then bake?

Either grill it or broil it - either way, make sure it cooks slowly. Baking or stovetop cooking will dry it out.

Make a ton at once and freeze it in individual bags.

Also, Optimum Nutrition's Whey Protein is cheap and delicious. i make a shake with Vanilla Ice Cream whey, milk, and a banana for breakfast every day (because I'm too lazy to do anything else in the morning).
  • arnostbilej
    Options
    Very true. My current favorite is NOW Whey Protein Isolate, 5 lb. for less than $60 - that's about a month's worth of protein, assuming you take 2 servings per day. You can't beat that by buying meats, fresh or canned.
  • semipossible
    semipossible Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to sautee chicken breast chunks in a skillet with some olive oil and salt and pepper. It's surprisingly good given how simple it is. Cheese sticks and hard boiled eggs are good to keep on hand for quick protein. Greek yogurt can also be a good choice.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes don't have to be expensive. Shop around and look for whey isolate. You get the most protein for your calories.

I also eat mini babybel cheese. 50 calories and 6g protein. You don't have to be a chef to make chicken ahead of time. I also cook large batches at a time.

Easy recipe: 1 jar salsa (like for chips); 3-4 chicken breasts--Add both to the crockpot and cook on low 6-8 hrs. Once it's done shred the chicken and mix. Save in a tupperware to eat throughout the week. Great over rice or as taco filling. I also eat some over toast and some cheese on top.

For grilled chicken or oven cooked chicken I cut the chicken breast in smaller pieces and season with just garlic salt and a little sprinkle of spanish sazon (red powders) to give it some additional color. Just go easy on how you sprinkle so it's not salty...mix in a shake or two of soy sauce and vinegar....let it sit a few minutes to marinade and cook in the oven or grill.

It really isn't hard to cook chicken...and if you don't have any intolence to eggs...it is one of the best foods to eat too.
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is fantastic. The flavored kinds taste similar to regular yogurt on their own and the unflavored kind tastes similar to sour cream and can be a great sauce/dip substitute.
  • dawnmitchell6766
    dawnmitchell6766 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thin sliced turkey or chicken from the deli - 2 oz for a snack gives me 9 gr protein. Real simple, no cooking involved
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Lean cuts of beef or pork are also good to grill. They make for a nice break from chicken .