Hunger: how does it affect you?

Options
If I'm hungry, I may have a growling stomach and feel hungry, but that's about it. For me, it's just a feeling. I can continue to function and go on about my business feeling this way for hours, ignoring the hunger. I'll usually even forget I'm hungry if I'm occupied with something else and the feeling may go away.

However, my wife and 2 of my children are froundly affected by hunger. They get grumpy and entirely unpleasant to be around until you get them food. When they're hungry, they need food and need it then. There's no waiting an hour for dinnertime, it's now. My other child is more like me and can wait patiently without getting in a foul mood.

Is that pretty common for everyone? How does it affect you?

And is it bad that I will often just ignore the hunger, especially while at work?

Replies

• apfeiff
    apfeiff Posts: 39
    Options
    When I get hungry, I get cranky FOR SURE! It's either time to eat or I need to take a nap. I think this is normal for many people, it affects our hormones and so many things when our bodies are telling us to eat.
  • amycrims
    Options
    I am more like you- if i'm busy at work, I could easily ignore the hunger, but my boyfriend is like your wife and daughter. When he gets hungry, his blood sugar really drops and he gets a headache and all grumpy and has to eat something right away. I guess people are just all affected differently.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    My younger daughter and I get grumpy, stressed feeling and acting when hungry. If I don't eat at that point I end up feeling nauseous. My husband and older daughter can ignore it. I think that's why they are the lean ones in the family.
  • Scarletblue
    Options
    If I'm at work I can ignore it unless I am having a slow day where I am thinking about it. Otherwise if I am able to get to food right away I will, I always have granola bars on me.
  • luvamig
    luvamig Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's not always the same for me.

Sometimes I can be ok for an hour or so being hungry with no other side effect, after that I get shaky, cranky, and I cant think strait. It's not like I get confused and forget where I am, but I have a harder time making basic decisions, because I'm distracted. It's a lot like hearing a faint sound that slowly gets a little louder until it's the only thing you can process and you have to find a way to make it stop. Usually this is much worse when I've had caffeine, especially between breakfast and lunch. Dinner is generally never an emergency.

I've noticed that if I eat little bits through the day then that doesn't happen, but I am also less satisfied with my meals, and more likely to go over my calorie limit. Since I started to eat better, these crappy side effects of hunger have become more manageable, and I can function like a normal person. I do still always keep a granola bar, or clementine in my bag just in case though.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Depends on how long I go. Last night, it was almost 7 pm. My dear boyfriend was trying to talk to me, and I snapped at him a few times. I said, "I'm hungry" repeatedly. He kind of ignored me, until he took a look at my face, and then he said, "You really are hungry." And he backed up a little. Usually he knows to feed me when I get like this, so he put a salad down in front of me, and left me alone until I'd eaten half of it. lol - I think this is caused by low blood sugar.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely unbearable to be around when I am really hungry. Worse when I don't get my caffeine.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It used to be that I could go all day and not be hungry, so I wouldn't eat. I would get home and still not be hungry. Sometimes I would have a sandwich or something because I realized that I hadn't eatten all day, sometimes not. If I ate something in the morning before work I couldn't do that, I would be hungry all day and scarf down food like there was no tomorrow. So... I wouldn't eat more often than not. I wouldn't feel hungry at all as long as I didn't eat, I could work my 10-16 hour shift with maybe a headache. I gained weight. I dieted and lost weight. I gained it again....etc.etc.etc. I didn't learn my lesson.

This time I have been eatting every 4 hours, hungry or not. After almost 6 months of this my body is now telling me when it is hungry again on a regular basis. Now if I don't eat I get a little b!tchy and a headache. I am eatting more now than I did before. I am losing weight. What a wonderful thing a working metabolism is.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I can ignore it for a while, but I do get irritable and light headed after an hour or so.

I think we are all wired differently with this one.

I'd say if it doenst affect you physically, then dont worry about it :bigsmile: