Booty exercises for those with bad knees

Options
I'm a 40something woman with an arthritic knee. I'm in decent shape (5'5" / 125 lbs) and I'm looking to tone my posterior. The issue that I'm having is that, it seems, every flipping booty workout has some form of squat. I simply cannot do them with my knee the way it is. My knee will not tolerate anything resembling that form. Many times, I have to alter my gait to simply go up a flight of stairs.

Does anyone have suggestions for tush shaping that won't stress my knee? I would greatly appreciate any input.

Replies

• summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Where do you work out? At home, with minimal equipment, or at a large, well-equipped gym?
  • karaokewife
    Options
    Where do you work out? At home, with minimal equipment, or at a large, well-equipped gym?

I should have stated that. My apologies. I work out at home. I have free weights as well as ankle / wrist weights.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bridges really work the booty and are low impact.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Would you be able to do kettle bell swings?
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'll second the kettlebell swing suggestion. It does require a partial squat so it may or may not work for you.

Here's a link to it so you can see what it looks like:

http://youtu.be/5zAkYWo_4ts
  • karaokewife
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I had a look at all of the suggestions and the winner is ... the bridge.

(Both the kettle bell swing and the RDL utilize the flexion/extension repetition that I need to avoid.)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Squats will eventually help your knee but if you absolutely can't then try glute bridges and hip thrusts - you can start them with body weight then try single leg variations then add a barbell later for more resistance.

See Bret contraras on YouTube to see how to do them.
  • cgrand18
    cgrand18 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had my knee replaced at 41, (1.5 year ago) so you will really want to do a lot of strength training in your thigh to save your knee as long as you can. Straight leg lifts, squeezing a ball between your knees, etc. You will be surprised at how weak your thighs actually are. I know this doesn't help your "booty", but it will help your knee.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    Hip Thrusts/Kick Backs.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Both the kettle bell swing and the RDL utilize the flexion/extension repetition that I need to avoid.

Check Youtube for "stiff-leg deadlift". It's an RDL without moving the knee More functional than the bridge, and works more muscles.

For strengthening the knee, try wall sits.
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My first question would be whether you are sure that you are using good form on your squats. Your knee should never go forward past your toes when doing a squat - the motion is more like sitting in a chair (backwards). There are still people that can't do squats but that fixes a large majority of people who think they can't do squats because of their knees. As somebody else stated, doing squats will strengthen your knees but that takes starting out slowly to work up to being able to do them (Assuming the advice above didn't fix the issue). Floorwork on your hands and knees - dirty dogs, side lifts, elbow planks with leg lifts, etc. (assuming your knees can take it), is a killer workout and will really tone your hips and legs. Bridges are also a great option.