How should I divide up my 1350 calories in my day?

Options
I am allowed 1350 calories a day. I am wondering how I should divide them up in my meal and snack planning.
I work nights so my first meal usually isn't until 9am. Then I head out to work by 11:45 am. My first break is at 2pm. My lunch break is at 4pm. Then my second break is at 6:30 pm and I am off work at 9pm. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thank you.

Replies

• sandryc
    sandryc Posts: 33
    Options
    I think it is really difficult for other people to tell you that. I depends so much on you and how your body feels.

I have been having success eating really balanced small meals very frequently. I will have a yogurt for breakfast, 2 hours later some high protein granola, at lunch a couple oz of turkey and oz of cheese and some whole wheat crackers, for my second break I will again have protein and whole grain (like 2oz of smoked salmon and an ounce of whole grain chips), then when I get home I eat a larger cooked meal like a piece of chicken/fish and some vegetables plus another whole grain like quinoa. I sometimes have another snack before bed, like carrots with a T of peanut butter.

This makes me feel full/satisfied through the day and because I have Insulin Resistance/PCOS the combination of moderate protein and carbs from veggies or whole grains keeps my blood sugar stable which helps me feel full as well.

My boyfriend on the other hand eats 3 square meals a day. He is taking a completely different diet plan and also having success.

I advise you to play with a few things. Pay attention to your body and how you feel. Eat when you are hungry and stop eating when you are not (even if you have not finished your portions)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is largely personal preference. It shouldn't affect your weight loss, but it may affect things like energy levels, mood, concentration, hunger levels, etc. throughout the day.

Some people do really, really well on 6 small meals/snacks per day. Others prefer to skip breakfast and have two larger meals later in the day. Some people prefer not to eat after 7pm while some of us specifically save calories for a late night snack.

Play around and find what works best for you.
  • KCBrue1
    KCBrue1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think as everyone else said, it really depends on you and how you feel and what you do throughout the day.

For me, I have found that if I have less calorie dense foods for breakfast that I have so so so much more energy, and it sets my body on a better track for the day. When I eat something heavier such as oats for breakfast, it's almost like my stomach will want something of the same density for every meal and snack. Therefore, light breakfast and lunch with a carbohydrate dense dinner works best for me. It makes me feel better and more active than I would be otherwise.
  • grannykaren57
    Options
    Thank you so much for replying to my post. It really meant a lot to me! Thank you for all your advice!
  • grannykaren57
    Options
    Thanks for your advice.. I really appreciated it!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    It really depends on my day but on a normal day I have about 350 for breakfast 500 for lunch and 500 for dinner :) It helps keep me satisfied but really there is no one answer. If I go out or have a big lunch I got lighter on dinner etc :) Its all up to you and when you feel most hungry :) If you are hungrier in the later hours due to your job I would have a lighter lunch and breakfast and save those extra calories for dinner/nighttime snacks :)
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I eat a big meal in the morning and small meals all the time, and stack them a little around the hours I have to stand or move around a lot. Always eat something every couple hours to avoid the desire to binge eat.
  • funnycatspal
    funnycatspal Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It looks like the biggest gap in your day is between 9am breakfast and your first break at 2pm (about 5 hrs). I think it would be helpful to get some protein in with your breakfast to help carry you through to the afternoon. That way you won't be so hungry at 2:00 that you're tempted to make bad choices or over-eat. :flowerforyou:
  • sims2013
    sims2013 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    divide your meals up into 5-6 smaller meals a day. that way your metabolism keeps working all day. set aside one day to preplan your meals since you work nights that will be easier on you...thats what i do and it works great for me!
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    divide your meals up into 5-6 smaller meals a day. that way your metabolism keeps working all day. set aside one day to preplan your meals since you work nights that will be easier on you...thats what i do and it works great for me!

OP please disregard the bolded statement above. That is incorrect. What 5 to 6 meals a day may do, and I stress may, is help with hunger. But that is all based on the individual.The concept that more smaller meals keeps your metabolism working all day has been disproved.

Eat how often and when it will work best for you.

I agree with the last part of the statement though. Pre-planning your meals and even preparing some of your meals ahead of time really helps stay on task.

Edit: Here is a link to an article by Alan Aragon. A very well respected fitness and nutrition expert. Pay special attention to the Metabolism section of the article.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

This is unnecessary. It works great for some people and not at all for others and will have little to no effect on one's metabolism. Taking your experiences ("it works great for me!") and making blanket statements as though they are the right answer for everyone is irresponsible.
  • sims2013
    sims2013 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

OP please disregard the bolded statement above. That is incorrect. What 5 to 6 meals a day may do, and I stress may, is help with hunger. But that is all based on the individual.The concept that more smaller meals keeps your metabolism working all day has been disproved.

Eat how often and when it will work best for you.

I agree with the last part of the statement though. Pre-planning your meals and even preparing some of your meals ahead of time really helps stay on task.

Edit: Here is a link to an article by Alan Aragon. A very well respected fitness and nutrition expert. Pay special attention to the Metabolism section of the article.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html

i did not coment on this forum to get bashed by you and thegeek. thank you very much
    you have no right to say that i am irresponsible. afterall i was just sharing what has worked with me since she wanted idea. im not going to force crap on prople you kidding me? haha. i have lost 63 lbs doing it this way. i have talked to many people that have suggested it. so stop being haters and quit the negativity with putting other people down when they share what they worked for! afterall i thought we are all here for the same thing.