Lifting in a Caloric Deficit, what to do?

Options
Hello everyone.

Currently a 5'11" 235 lbs 35 y/o male and my TDEE is ~ 2600. I have my daily calorie intake set at 1600 cals with a high protein lower carb split and I typically try to eat back all or most my exercise calories on a daily basis.

I started out at 275 lbs 4 months ago and with the diet changes and exercising have been losing ~1-3 lbs per week through daily exercise and strength training twice a week.

However, I am moving to a heavier lifting routing on a 3 day split and am curious if I should up my caloric intake on lifting days and adjust it on other days to compensate. I usually eat a little extra protein on lift days (~220g) anyway but am curious if more calories would be beneficial on these days.

My short term goal is to maintain as much muscle as possible while making my way down to 200 lbs by the end of the year.
My ultimate goal is to get down to ~190 lbs and 15% body fat

Should I up my calories a bit and go with a ~500 calorie deficit instead of ~1000?
Stick with what has been working as long as I recover well?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know the answer to this to but from what someone said before, you can't put on muscle while in a fat loss cycle.

Obviously I'm just passing on what someone else said, I'd be happy to know if that's wrong!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The best case while in a deficit is keeping the muscle you have. You will not turn fat into muscle. If you want to keep the most muscle, keep your deficit on the smaller side, lift a few times a week, and make sure you are getting enough protein.

You can gain strength while in a deficit, just don't expect to add muscle. It may look like you are adding muscle because when you lose fat, the muscles become more defined.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    First, you cannot turn fat into muscle. Period. Your body will lose fat when denied calories (but given plenty of protein and stimulus, such as lifting), and build muscle when it's given a surplus of calories.

That being said, you probably don't need to have that much of a deficit to lose weight. Try eating a little higher (even just 2,000) and I think you'll find you maintain more muscle mass in the long run. Wow on your protein; I could never get that much in everyday.

On lifting days, I find it beneficial to eat close to or at TDEE, just because it's hard to control my appetite otherwise. Lifting always leaves me hungry, and the muscles need to be "fed" if you expect to progress much on your lifting numbers.

It's great that you're starting to lift, but remember that slow and steady wins the race.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1600 is way to low. I'm losing on 1600 currently (well I eat back) but I have been maintaining at 1600 with eat back- if I ate JUST 1600 no eat backsies- I would be losing like crazy.

It's way to low.

Secondly- you are fine to lift while on a deficit- the main objective is to not lose muscle mass- but to optimize fat loss.

As far as lifting and resting- 3 days with rest and some light cardio is probably fine. But make sure you are eating your food and getting your rest. To much deficit is BAD and totally not needed.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    1600 is so, so low for you.

To put it into perspective I'm 5'1, 110# and lift 3x a week.

I can lose on 1600 if I keep the macros in check.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You're almost certainly overdoing it on the protein but that's not going to hurt you (other than you might get sick of eating chicken :tongue:). In terms of calories, I don't think I'd go any lower but if you're happy at that target, try it and see how you feel keeping the same deficit. If you find yourself going hungry or feeling lethargic, consider upping your calories. If you feel great, I'd say keep on keeping on.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Up your calories dude. I am 5'5 and when I was in deficit I was eating more than you.
  • jearle99
    jearle99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I edited the OP to clear up the fat to muscle misnomer.

I think I might try to up the calories by 500 per day and see what kind of results I get the next month. It should make it easier to hit my protein number every day as well which is nice.
  • jearle99
    Options
    (other than you might get sick of eating chicken:).

Sick of eating chicken? I don't think that is even possible!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    1600 is a terrible idea. That's almost a 40% deficit. That's how you lose a good deal of muscle.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    . duplicate
  • ravenmiss
    Options
    Nvm, I misread the OP I thought you were getting 200g protein on 1600 cals. I wanted to know the secret haha!
  • jearle99
    Options
    I'm curious to know how you're hitting 220g protein with only 1600cals. Amazing job! :D

But yes, you're eating WAY too little.

I generally eat 2k - 2400 calories due to exercise calories which I eat back. I rarely eat only 1600 calories in a day but try to have that as my net mark.
  • ravenmiss
    Options
    I'm curious to know how you're hitting 220g protein with only 1600cals. Amazing job! :D

But yes, you're eating WAY too little.

I generally eat 2k - 2400 calories due to exercise calories which I eat back. I rarely eat only 1600 calories in a day but try to have that as my net mark.

Yeah I looked and edited my post.

I eat 1600 cals and can't hit 220g protein, don't think I ever have! You only really need around 1g for every 1lb of LBM anyway.
  • jearle99
    Options
    You only really need around 1g for every 1lb of LBM anyway.

You know I never even thought about it as LBM. I mistakenly estimated 1g/lb for my goal weight (200) and set my mark there. I guess I have been overdoing it a bit on the protein since my LBM is probably somewhere in the low 160s. Looks like I can change my macros now as well.

With 500 more calories and a lower protein mark I think my daily goals just got a lot easier. Thanks again everyone for the advice.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 heavy days a week, and cardio 6 days.
    I eat a ~750cal defecit, ~200g protein
    I have no problems gaining strength, and some muscle. it all depends on your lbm and how long you cut/gain cycles are.

edit: and how much of a beginner you are.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know the answer to this to but from what someone said before, you can't put on muscle while in a fat loss cycle.

Obviously I'm just passing on what someone else said, I'd be happy to know if that's wrong!

It's not wrong. :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

It's not wrong. :flowerforyou:

can't put on SIZE.

But you can put on strength.

and strength is super sexy too- so go for it. lift away.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is calculated correctly (adjusted for work activity & exercise) then 20% of 2600 is 2080 calories. Also, if you're using TDEE you don't need to worry about eating back calories, as TDEE adjusts for your activity level.