Probiotics

Options
iceey
iceey Posts: 354 Member
I take a daily probiotic and have found it to be helpful for my digestive system (IBS).

For those that take probiotics, have you ever noticed that it is less effective over time? If so, do you switch brands?

I am finding that either a) they are less effective, or b) I need to look at my diet again and up my fiber intake.

Replies

• Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Probiotics are living bacteria, so it could be that the source you're currently taking is no longer effective if the cells are dead. The best way to know is to have your stool examined for the strands of bacteria that the supplement is claiming.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Probiotics are living bacteria, so it could be that the source you're currently taking is no longer effective if the cells are dead. The best way to know is to have your stool examined for the strands of bacteria that the supplement is claiming.

I keep them in the fridge so they should still be alive. Testing my stool is something I never thought of.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Have you recently been prescribed broad-spectrum antibiotics? If not, probiotics aren't going to do a thing.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/probiotics/
  • Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If your probiotic needs to be refridgerated, that's a great sign! As far as other sources: yes, I change it up and try to get some foods that contain probiotics as well. I personally don't notice any sort of difference when I take them or don't. Fiber has a lot more of an effect on my system!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    One of the articles I read that got me to think about taking probiotics in the first place suggested switching up brands regularly to continually introduce new strains and varying amounts into your gut.

As a side note, I've only been taking them about a month or so and didn't have any digestive issues prior, but had done a lot of reading up on their benefits. Since starting, I am definitely less bloated and not nearly as hungry (or snacky in my case) as I used to be. So far, feeling very positive about the decision!