Calories burned and Heart rate monitors

Options
I have a Timex heart rate monitor and it shows me burning more calories than I think is possible. I do P90X workouts and my heart rate is at top of the scale or over my max HR during my workout without any discomfort. As a 49 yr old man my Max should be 169 but it gets up to 185 on some workouts. After a hard cardio workout (plyometrics or Kempo Karate) my HR monitor shows 1000-1100 calories burned. The monitor is set up to my age and weight. Anyone else having similar issues with their HRM.

Replies

• WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it is similar or not but I had an aweful time with my polar F7. It sets it up with the V02 max and not having the exact number was messing me up. I finally got it narrowed down so it was close but not sure if it was ever 100% accurate. Maybe yours need to be set up that way too?
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    How long is the workout at that intensity? If its over an hour I think it may be fairly accurate. You have me by a few years, but when I do a hard kickboxing class at my gym with a certain intense instructor, I get my HR to max at 185 also, and average 150-160 for 45min. My Polar generally reports around 800 burned at this weekly class. So either ours are both off or both right on I guess! Keep up the great workouts!
  • cozzy530
    Options
    The work out is 41 minutes long and my heart rate hits 170 in about three minutesand doesn't come down unless I pause the DVD. My HRM starts beeping letting me know when I hit 175 and I slow down and try to keep it in the 160's. Due to the alarm going off so much my work out takes about 52 minutes and I am in the zone for 50 of that. Today I checked it after cooling down for ten minutes and I showed 1121 burned. I only log half of that in my workout activity which is still pretty good for a old man. I love the P90X Kempo karate which is a non stop kick butt workout.
  • jennpv
    jennpv Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My BF and I both have heart rate moniters. I do jazzercise and burn about 700 cals an hour. He does P90X and is burning 1000-1200! It's probably right.
  • marniehodges
    Options
    Make sure you take into account how much you weigh. A 250 lb person is going to burn more calories in an hour than a 150 lb person...there's more there to burn. I've found that as I lose weight and adjust my settings on my Polar FT7 HRM I have to work out harder in an hour to burn as many cals as I did at the heavier weight. Do you watch biggest loser? Ever noticed how a person weighing 400 lbs can drop 40 in a week, but a person weighing 200 is lucky to drop 5? Same concept. Good luck and way to work out so hard!