169 lbs lost, now what?

Options
Hello there

So, three years ago I weighed 24stone (335 lbs). Originally I started with nothing but cardio, a year later I began lifting weights nothing serious, and no serious routine. About a year later I began lifting properly with a proper routine, working out six days a week, three with weights and three with cardio. Somewhere along the way I fell in love with lifting. This morning I weighed in at 166lbs. I’m 5’11 and I’m 27 years old. As you can see from the pictures I have a lot of loose skin, got myself a fine little fat pouch hanging right there. I currently cut on 2400cals, 200p 200c 65f or as close as possible. I usually weigh in once a month and take measurements on that day. My weight loss has slowed quite a lot, which I expected. I’m losing half an inch to inch in some places each month. My question is ….Do I continue with cutting?
With my height and frame, I don’t really want to lose any more weight, I just want to lose the remaining hanging skin/fat. I would like to continue to lift heavier and focus on building muscle. I have read it’s better to drop the excess fat before increasing my calories. So would you continue to cut or maybe switch to maintenance for awhile? I’ve been cutting for what seems like forever, I would really like to change this. I have including some pictures and I would like to apologise in advance for the nightmares you will most likely have tonight.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thank you for any input.

5_zps6873128c.jpg4_zpsc7c2e5ac.jpg3_zps0ef9730a.jpg2_zps5a29388b.jpg1_zps5a265133.jpg11_zpse96957ec.jpg8_zpse60b868c.jpg12_zps3a38f975.jpg7_zps87deb4c4.jpg
6_zps3f2da3bd.jpg10_zpsdbdfb09d.jpg

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I myself would want to go into maintenance, maybe even build up some muscle for a bit, and let some of the skin reduce itself -- as well as tightening the skin by building some real muscle bulk in, like, the shoulders and chest and back. Then after a year, if things are still "hanging" I'd look into surgery. But give your skin a chance first, in my opinion.

Congrats on your loss.
  • carriesuefaccone
    Options
    Hi,
    I too have lost a lot of weight. started at 284 and now down to 177. Still have 35 more to go. I have the same kind of skin problem as you only on my arms and legs. I spoke to several doctors about this and they told me that there is not much you can do about the skin, you can not diet it off as it is not fat, but skin. You cant exersize it away because it isn't muscle either. The only thing you can do is have surgery to remove it. From what I see you are rather skinny and losing more weight might even make it worse. A little more weight might fill it out a bit. I wouldn't cut down anymore on the calories. Good luck to you
    Sue
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Depending on your age, you may only be able to get rid of the loose skin surgically. Usually plastic surgeons will give first consultations for free and they may give you an idea what you may continue to see shrink and what you may not see shrink. Don't be too disgusted with your body though....you worked hard to get that saggy skin and you should be proud of it. Granted, bathing suits aren't really kind to this kind of weight loss, but who cares. You are healthier, fitter and have accomplished something huge! Enjoy your new body!
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    when you lose alot of weight you will always have loose skin, when you reach your goal. you want to maintain the weight without losing or gaining for 5 or 6months and it will tighten up a little.........then after that only way is surgery.............lifting does help, but it will still be there.
  • daedalus01
    daedalus01 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies, maintenance seems to be the next step.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    There will be no nightmares here! You look wonderful!
    Congrats on a job well done!
    I agree that you should go on maintenance and continue strength training and wait awhile to evaluate where you are.
    If it means a lot to you, you may eventually choose to have surgery.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You did great!