step counters-Rant

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Those bastids!

This is fun. Let's judge them for something else.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Okay, just kidding. :)

What pedometers and those fitness watches are decent for is getting an overall glimpse at both how much movement you get, as well as how that effects your calorie burn over a whole day. That itself might be the perfect motivator when they see they aren't moving enough. I dare say many people don't have a clue. I know I was a large part of a fitness product forum and so any people came on to tell me how the product was showing them burning calories when they were doing nothing at all. They had no idea about BMR, TDEE, etc.

I am all for ANYTHING that can motivate and education someone in fitness.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Movement = calories burnt so if you walk 100 steps or 10,000 you have still burnt calories = done cardio.IMO

Burning calories not not equal "doing cardio".

I sit across from people every day who elaborate at great lengths about how busy and active they are, but can't walk 3.0 mph on a treadmill without gasping for air.

Again: locomotion is not the same as exercise.

what if they don't care about walking at 3.0 without gasping for air??

at this point I doubt I could play a sport with out dying within 5 minutes.

I don't play sports. - so you could make fun of me for being in awful shape- but dollars to doughnuts you don't care about being able to play left hand dominate running singles on finger cymbals while doing full time downbeat right glute squeezes over a alternating chasse....

or picking up 300 pounds of dead lift.

Priorities and goals.

That's like making fun of someone for not being able to swim when they are a sky diver.

Sorry, hate to say this, but you missed both the reading comprehension and logic targets on this one.

The original statement referred to cardio, not any other type of activity. It also made the statement that ANY movement of the legs to move a body ANY distance was a form of cardio exercise.

That simply is not true.

"Cardio exercise" refers to a type of exercise that has specific physical effects, and has to be performed a specific way in order to achieve those effects. That's the definition of the term, it's not a value statement.

Random locomotion is not "cardio" no matter how much you want to wish it to be so. That doesn't mean it has no value, and I never stated nor implied that it had no value. In your rush to express your indignation over something you imagined I wrote, you seem to have missed that part entirely.

Mostly I am just having fun being pedantic, but the misunderstanding and misuse of words have real-life implications. I tried to point that out by using examples from my clinical experience. I work with people every day who lack the basic physical ability to maintain their quality of life, and one of the reasons they got that way is because they think getting up to go to the bathroom is "cardio". Pointing that out is not making fun of them--it just emphasizes the challenge of changing the mindset so that they can achieve their stated goals.

If someone said "oh yeah, lifting anything = strength training", stating that lifting up their 1yr old kid was the equivalent of your 300lb deadlift, would you think you were making fun of them when you tried to explain the difference?
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I know alot of people use those pedometors and step counters and rely on them to add to their calorie counts, especially as cardio. I think they are far reaching as far as fitness is concerned ( heart health cardio) . I walk probably 5+ miles a day at work but, really walking from the sink to the counter is not fitness .

I spoke to someone the other day who joined a gym ( a co worker) and said i dont plan on using the cardio machines because i walk 10 miles a day at work according to my step counter. That is NOT cardio.....i dont even think it should count if you arent getting your heart rate up while doing it. Those things give people a false sense of fitness in my opinion.

Ok rant over....he just frustrated me when he made that comment re cardio
    I agree.
    Walking at work most times is much different than going out and walking 5 miles in one long walk where you can step it out and get your heart rate going. Most times walking at work is short spurts back and forth.

I never record work as exercise...even when work does actually HAVE exercise.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    When I was working in a restaurant I wore a pedometer and counted it. I lost weight because I was in a calorie deficit and I did A LOT of walking during those shifts. Walking totally counts. :]
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Sorry, hate to say this, but you missed both the reading comprehension and logic targets on this one.

The original statement referred to cardio, not any other type of activity. It also made the statement that ANY movement of the legs to move a body ANY distance was a form of cardio exercise.

That simply is not true.

"Cardio exercise" refers to a type of exercise that has specific physical effects, and has to be performed a specific way in order to achieve those effects. That's the definition of the term, it's not a value statement.

Random locomotion is not "cardio" no matter how much you want to wish it to be so. That doesn't mean it has no value, and I never stated nor implied that it had no value. In your rush to express your indignation over something you imagined I wrote, you seem to have missed that part entirely.

Mostly I am just having fun being pedantic, but the misunderstanding and misuse of words have real-life implications. I tried to point that out by using examples from my clinical experience. I work with people every day who lack the basic physical ability to maintain their quality of life, and one of the reasons they got that way is because they think getting up to go to the bathroom is "cardio". Pointing that out is not making fun of them--it just emphasizes the challenge of changing the mindset so that they can achieve their stated goals.

If someone said "oh yeah, lifting anything = strength training", stating that lifting up their 1yr old kid was the equivalent of your 300lb deadlift, would you think you were making fun of them when you tried to explain the difference?

I do not think my reading comprehension is off.

My point was that it doesn't matter.
    I would agree- to a point- mostly because I think walking CAN be cardio- I can walk in a manner that gets me into the "cardio" range. But not all walking IS cardio.

My point was mostly that to some people it doesn't matter because it is simply not relevant to their needs or goals or long term vision (most people have no other goal other than "to not be fat"- and I think we forget that sometimes).

Except-picking up a child IS a strength exercise. It's certainly not equal to progressive lifting for training- but for someone who picks up NOTHING- picking up a child would be a resistance training exercise. now if someone told me they were logging walking as resistance training- it might be a different story.

I think we could agree that things CAN qualify as a certain activity- but that doesn't make them equal in terms of usefulness and training efficiency.

( all that to say- any time I'm on my feet longer than an hour and walking- I log it- although i don't think I've exercised or done cardio- I do log it)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Movement = calories burnt so if you walk 100 steps or 10,000 you have still burnt calories = done cardio.IMO

Burning calories not not equal "doing cardio".

I sit across from people every day who elaborate at great lengths about how busy and active they are, but can't walk 3.0 mph on a treadmill without gasping for air.

Again: locomotion is not the same as exercise.

what if they don't care about walking at 3.0 without gasping for air??

at this point I doubt I could play a sport with out dying within 5 minutes.

I don't play sports. - so you could make fun of me for being in awful shape- but dollars to doughnuts you don't care about being able to play left hand dominate running singles on finger cymbals while doing full time downbeat right glute squeezes over a alternating chasse....

or picking up 300 pounds of dead lift.

Priorities and goals.

That's like making fun of someone for not being able to swim when they are a sky diver.

That simply is not true.

Cardio means exercise where the cardiovascular system supplies enough oxygen to the muscles to maintain the intensity of exercise without building up any significant oxygen debt. Walking does that, as does strolling or any kind of simple movement. Even if you just get up off the sofa to walk to the fridge one time, your heart and lungs work ever so slightly harder to get the extra oxygen to your legs. Unless you've been bedridden for a while you probably will not find this strenuous, but your muscles are being supplied with oxygen by your cardiovascular system to enable you to do this activity, (and a healthy person will not build up an oxygen debt from this - getting an oxygen debt going to get something out of the fridge would be an indication of a severe illness of the cardiovascular system, e.g. emphysema). I don't know where you want to draw the line between cardio and non-cardio. Or how you think the muscles are getting oxygen if it's not from the cardiovascular system.

Anaerobic exercise involves a build up of oxygen debt (e.g. sprints, heavy lifting) - but even that involves the cardiovascular system, mostly after you finish, to pump enough blood to carry enough oxygen to the muscles to get rid of the oxygen debt. But while doing the exercise, the energy comes directly from glucose without oxygen, and lactic acid builds up as a byproduct.

I've never heard this distinction between cardio and non-cardio (because it's apparently too easy) before. Only the distinction between aerobic (no significant oxygen debt, can be continued for long periods) and anaerobic (oxygen debt is built up, exercise can only be continued for short bursts, recovery time is needed before another short burst of anaerobic exercise can be done).

There is a distinction between exercise that will help you increase your fitness level and exercise that won't - but where you draw the line for that depends entirely on the individual's current level of fitness, i.e. is it easy or hard for that person. Brisk walking would still raise the heart rate and breathing rate even of a relatively fit person, and so would be benefical for most people. But this distinction doesn't determine whether the exercise is cardio or not. It's all cardio unless you're building up an oxygen debt. For cardio to have any effect on your health it needs to elevate your heart rate and make you breathe more deeply and it's generally recommended for this to be continued for at least 30 minutes, unless the exercise is very intense (e.g. the cardiovascular system working overtime to repay an oxygen debt from anaerobic exercise). Anaerobic exercise still increases cardiovascular fitness, because it still requires that system to repay the oxygen debt.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Bicker all you want about what you all think is cardio or exercise in your books, but the numbers are what matters.

Taking a guy who is in his 40's and around 200 pounds...

Say his BMR is 2400 calories per day, that equates to 100 calories per hour his body burns to live.

Say you walk just 2.0 mph to work (REALLY SLOOOOW) and you log 4 hours of walking. That is close1000 calories burned, or essentially 250 calories per hour. (I am using rounded numbers for ease of math).

That is 2.5 greater calorie burn just adding in simple walking.

That matters.

I do 2 15 minute, 4mph break walks at work. I really don't sweat or get my heart rate nearly as much as my daily workout, but that still burns calories and it matters in figuring caloric deficit.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I do kettlebell swings with a 35 pound child. Is that less strength training than if I used metal?
  • Timshel_
    Options
    I do kettlebell swings with a 35 pound child. Is that less strength training than if I used metal?

Is it a muscular 35 pound kid, or a fat 35 pound kid? We all know muscle weighs more than fat, so that might make a difference right thar.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I alternate. I run every other day. I go for a long walk every other day.

Either way, I aim to get at least 10,000 steps a day. I almost always succeed.

I consider my walking days just as valuable for my health as my running days.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Is it a muscular 35 pound kid, or a fat 35 pound kid? We all know muscle weighs more than fat, so that might make a difference right thar.

Literally laughing out loud.
  • JoRocka
    Options

you don't know anything- everyone whose anyone on the internet knows kids are only useful for squatting and deadlfiting.

But if for whatever hypothetical reason you're KB swinging the kid- it depends on if it's an ALIVE dead or fat kid. because we know live weight weighs less than dead weight.
    So if it's a muscular alive kid- it weighs less than the fat dead kid.

Edit- also take into consideration- the fat 35 pound kid - weighs less if he was eating clean.
    Muscular 35 pound kid was doing a dirty bulk- therefor weighs even MORE.
  • Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    this site is getting worst!

if that's what u have to rant about all I can say is..... REALLY?? :noway: :huh: :yawn:
  • likitisplit
    Options

you don't know anything- everyone whose anyone on the internet knows kids are only useful for squatting and deadlfiting.

But if for whatever hypothetical reason you're KB swinging the kid- it depends on if it's an ALIVE dead or fat kid. because we know live weight weighs less than dead weight.

Edit- also take into consideration- the fat 35 pound kid - weighs less if he was eating clean.

A two-year old is pretty much the definition of a dirty bulk.

What about power cleans? Do those count?

(Kid squats are the best!)

10119388516_94f412f868.jpg
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP, I think you're ignoring the purpose of pedometers. They are actually meant to track every step you take during the day so that you can get a sense of how active you are when you are NOT exercising and then adjust your activity level depending on your weight-loss goals. I don't need to know how many steps I take when I am intentionally walking 3 miles for exercise. I am much more interested in how many steps I take at work and around the house on an average day. And you can bet your last nickel that if I were walking 10 miles a day as part of my job, I wouldn't be worried about doing any additional cardio.

This is why I wear a pedometer...just to make sure that I stay active throughout the day. I don't count any of it as exercise even if I take a three mile walk.. I am set at lightly active...if I get in 10,000 then I know that I have accomplished that.
  • JoRocka
    Options

baw ha ha ha ha- true story!!!

As for the power cleans?

I don't know- i have to run a full dynamics equation and analysis and have to pay two separate consultants to verify the other's work.

Just stick to your squats and don't tell anyone about the kid KB swings.. .KKB?? sounds like a bad gang.
  • Timshel_
    Options

I totally want you right now...and beer.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I know alot of people use those pedometors and step counters and rely on them to add to their calorie counts, especially as cardio. I think they are far reaching as far as fitness is concerned ( heart health cardio) . I walk probably 5+ miles a day at work but, really walking from the sink to the counter is not fitness .

I spoke to someone the other day who joined a gym ( a co worker) and said i dont plan on using the cardio machines because i walk 10 miles a day at work according to my step counter. That is NOT cardio.....i dont even think it should count if you arent getting your heart rate up while doing it. Those things give people a false sense of fitness in my opinion.

Ok rant over....he just frustrated me when he made that comment re cardio
    giphy.gif

:laugh: Don't you think this comes off a wee bit snobby?
  • likitisplit
    Options

baw ha ha ha ha- true story!!!

As for the power cleans?

I don't know- i have to run a full dynamics equation and analysis and have to pay two separate consultants to verify the other's work.

Just stick to your squats and don't tell anyone about the kid KB swings.. .KKB?? sounds like a bad gang.

Or a boy band.