A fat mentality....

Options
To those of you who have gone from morbidly/obese to "normal"... Has your mind had a chance to catch up with the rest of you?
I've always had this mentality about myself, No matter what my size has been. It's something I'm really going to have to work hard on to shake, because I've felt this way ALL my life. Did you overcome it? Did you need help overcoming it?

Replies

• asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in the responses as well. I have lost a lot, but nowhere near goal yet. Thanks for posting this one.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I hit goal over a year ago and I'm still surprised when I see current pictures of myself. I still refer to myself as "fluffy" even though I'm 5'8" and 149 lbs. I think I will eventually see myself as fit, but not yet. My hubby says I'm just fishing for compliments :wink:
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal 11 years ago. I still have the fat mentality. I did finally see myself in a mirror from a different angle and could not see my face and I saw my self as skinny for the first time. I wear a size 2/4 Its a hard thing to get over.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I still think despairingly, "I have over a hundred pounds to lose!" Then it's, oh wait, no, no I don't. Not for years. And like many people, I sometimes pick up clothes off the rack that are way too big. Sometimes I have to try them on before I figure it out.

Of course, I also go to the Juniors section now and then and try to wiggle into size 2 jeans or a 0... It never ends well. :blushing:
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I went from 285 to 185 6'1

I still think I'm fat most days, when camping I was worried if I was going to break the foldy camping chairs like I used to lol.

It's hard to even notice the difference in the mirror because I saw myself every day but looking at before pics there's a definite difference.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I lost 165 pounds...got down to a size 6 and still thought I was fat. It's something I know I will struggle with my whole life.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    It is a very hard thing to shake. I have gotten close, but those feelings have stuck with me. Even at my smallest 25 pounds smaller than I am now, I still felt "fat". I hope now that I have gained some weight back, I will be able to be happier when I get back to my goal because I see the difference better. But who knows.
  • protein321
    protein321 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The fat mentality helps you keep going in my opinion, because when you reach your goal, then what?
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was 120-130 at 5'0 for all of my teenage years and I felt really fat and gross. I am now 108 and 5'1 and still feel very fat; it doesn't help that I am very young (most of my friends are twig thin), and Asian (all of my family are twig thin). I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that my low body image is not going to fix itself just by losing weight, and that it is a mental issue I will have to work on.