Runners--tell me a "bad run" story and a "good run" story.

Options
I am getting back into running after taking a "break" (I didn't run regularly for about 8 mos but would run at least once a month in that time). My time has suffered, my knees are suffering, and I am having a hard time remembering why I enjoy it--and I usually really do! I signed up for a 1/2 to give me something to look forward to and today I was supposed to run an easy 3.5. which I can do with no problem, even if I am slower than I was at this time last year. I made it to 2 and just had to walk. My stomach hurt, I couldn't get a rhythm going...it just sucked. I take pride in never walking during my runs so this really got me down!
I know days like this happen but I just feel grumpy about running altogether. Remind me that everyone has a bad run and share a good run story too so I can remember that I DO love it!

Replies

• Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My bad story: I once bought running shoes on sale that didn't fit right, but I got them anyway. Ran maybe 5 miles, lost 3 toe nails that same week. Couldn't run for about 10 days at all :( Never again!

My good story: before my first marathon during the expo part, one vendor asked me what my goal was. I told him I wanted to finish under 4 hours. He literally laughed in my face and said I was setting myself up for a failure. So, I bought a frame from him and asked him if he was going to be the one to frame my bib, finish time, and the medal. Frame cost = $200. Knowing that he had to frame my 3:39 result? Priceless :bigsmile:

Don't get discouraged. If it was easy, everyone would do it, right? Feel free to add me
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bad story- l made myself a promise I would schedule my run days and run at 5.30am no matter what, no excuses meant NO EXCUSES. One morning it was cold, very cold and a little rainy. I stood at my front door and talked myself into a three mile run. I live in southern AZ so I don't get cold often and I hate the cold. I ran and I cried from about 10 minutes in until I finished. I swear my tears were frozen to my face! After this I decided cold and rain were not excuses but a valid reason to stay inside!

Funny story- I was playing Zombie run and there was a storyline that had dogs in it. I was running along and the dog sounds got louder and louder. Then my playlist started and I could still hear the dogs.(this should have been my clue) Then I heard someone screaming and it wasn't the game..... I turned around to see two people chasing me down. They were yelling something so I stopped and pulled out my earbuds. To my surprise there was a small dog right at my feet!! I guess the dog wanted to run too! Apparently I ran quite a ways with this small dog right behind me.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bad Run- 4th of July. I was running a 5K and I was just... really mentally worked up over it. I hate 5Ks. I have been been running for nearly a year and a half, and a month before this 5K, I had finished my first half-marathon so a 5K should be EASY, right? God, this 4th of July 5K was AWFUL. At 8am it had already hit 70 degrees, no clouds, no shade, and there was 69% humidity, which was just insane. And running on hot asphalt? Ugh. Anyway, I REALLY wanted to set a new personal record, and at mile 2.5, I had to get off the road and dry-heave. I honestly thought I was going to hurl, I was THAT miserable. I finished the race (and dry-heaved some more, my husband was very concerned), and my time was 25:42. It was a new PR, but I hated every inch of it, and it took me several minutes to feel okay. I felt really bad that I didn't run the entire thing because I thought I was going to hurl. I was also really embarrassed that it was sooooo obvious how hard this run was for me. It seemed like every other runner out there was just hauling their butts and being awesome, and there I was, on the side of the road, dying. I couldn't even sprint in the last leg of the race.

Good Run- my first 1/2 marathon! Most of my training was done on a treadmill because it was winter (and my husband freaks out every time I go on a trail run during the "off season" when the trail isn't crowded, because he's convinced I'm going to be targeted by serial killers). My estimated finish time was about 2:20 (including water breaks, as I planned on walking through every water station), so that was my goal. I also assumed I'd have some issues with going from a treadmill to then running 13 miles on a trail on race day. But I ended up running a much faster pace that day (the weather was perfect, about 55 degrees and overcast), and I got into a good rhythm and it got the point where I was actually surprised by mile markers, like, "Whoa, I'm at mile 9? How did I get here already? Didn't I *just* pass mile 7?" I even sprinted in the last mile, and I didn't even know I had that in me (I was certain I'd be crawling at the end, as that's how it always felt in training). I finished strong, I felt so amazing, I STOMPED my goal into the ground (finished at 2:01:18, even though I walked through all the water stations, and had a couple of shoe-tying mishaps along the way), and I ranked 6th for my age division. I'm not sure exactly when it was, but there was a moment when suddenly everything just kind of flipped like a switch, and all the miles just came effortlessly and it was like I was just flying. The second half of that race could not have been more perfect. I felt way better at mile 10 than I did at mile 3
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Bad run -

Went out for a 40k bike ride, and immediately followed it up with a 15k run (training for a tri). Only took 24oz of gatorade on the bike ride, didn't take anything on the run. It was a very, very hot, very, very humid day. Needless to say I 'bonked', ended up dehydrated, stopped sweating, got confused and ended up sat on the edge of the road waiting for my wife to rescue me.

Good runs -

Went out for an interval run, underestimated both my interval and rest pace, made an unintentional personal best 10k.

Woke up feeling like a bad *kitten*, so I went out on the bike, and did some brutal hill repeats. Then was still feeling invincible, so tried for a personal best 5k straight after - and beat my previous best by over 90s.

On trying for my first ever 7 minute mile, hit 6m30s.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My bad story: I once bought running shoes on sale that didn't fit right, but I got them anyway. Ran maybe 5 miles, lost 3 toe nails that same week. Couldn't run for about 10 days at all :( Never again!

My good story: before my first marathon during the expo part, one vendor asked me what my goal was. I told him I wanted to finish under 4 hours. He literally laughed in my face and said I was setting myself up for a failure. So, I bought a frame from him and asked him if he was going to be the one to frame my bib, finish time, and the medal. Frame cost = $200. Knowing that he had to frame my 3:39 result? Priceless :bigsmile:

Don't get discouraged. If it was easy, everyone would do it, right? Feel free to add me

Added! And I love your bad *kitten* self for making him frame it! What did he say when you came back?
  • nikkohli
    Options
    Bad run -

Went out for a 40k bike ride, and immediately followed it up with a 15k run (training for a tri). Only took 24oz of gatorade on the bike ride, didn't take anything on the run. It was a very, very hot, very, very humid day. Needless to say I 'bonked', ended up dehydrated, stopped sweating, got confused and ended up sat on the edge of the road waiting for my wife to rescue me.

Good runs -

Went out for an interval run, underestimated both my interval and rest pace, made an unintentional personal best 10k.

Woke up feeling like a bad *kitten*, so I went out on the bike, and did some brutal hill repeats. Then was still feeling invincible, so tried for a personal best 5k straight after - and beat my previous best by over 90s.

On trying for my first ever 7 minute mile, hit 6m30s.

Yuck! And Yay!! Thanks for sharing! I love those "feeling like a bad *kitten* days".
  • nikkohli
    Options
    Bad Run- 4th of July. I was running a 5K and I was just... really mentally worked up over it. I hate 5Ks. I have been been running for nearly a year and a half, and a month before this 5K, I had finished my first half-marathon so a 5K should be EASY, right? God, this 4th of July 5K was AWFUL. At 8am it had already hit 70 degrees, no clouds, no shade, and there was 69% humidity, which was just insane. And running on hot asphalt? Ugh. Anyway, I REALLY wanted to set a new personal record, and at mile 2.5, I had to get off the road and dry-heave. I honestly thought I was going to hurl, I was THAT miserable. I finished the race (and dry-heaved some more, my husband was very concerned), and my time was 25:42. It was a new PR, but I hated every inch of it, and it took me several minutes to feel okay. I felt really bad that I didn't run the entire thing because I thought I was going to hurl. I was also really embarrassed that it was sooooo obvious how hard this run was for me. It seemed like every other runner out there was just hauling their butts and being awesome, and there I was, on the side of the road, dying. I couldn't even sprint in the last leg of the race.

Good Run- my first 1/2 marathon! Most of my training was done on a treadmill because it was winter (and my husband freaks out every time I go on a trail run during the "off season" when the trail isn't crowded, because he's convinced I'm going to be targeted by serial killers). My estimated finish time was about 2:20 (including water breaks, as I planned on walking through every water station), so that was my goal. I also assumed I'd have some issues with going from a treadmill to then running 13 miles on a trail on race day. But I ended up running a much faster pace that day (the weather was perfect, about 55 degrees and overcast), and I got into a good rhythm and it got the point where I was actually surprised by mile markers, like, "Whoa, I'm at mile 9? How did I get here already? Didn't I *just* pass mile 7?" I even sprinted in the last mile, and I didn't even know I had that in me (I was certain I'd be crawling at the end, as that's how it always felt in training). I finished strong, I felt so amazing, I STOMPED my goal into the ground (finished at 2:01:18, even though I walked through all the water stations, and had a couple of shoe-tying mishaps along the way), and I ranked 6th for my age division. I'm not sure exactly when it was, but there was a moment when suddenly everything just kind of flipped like a switch, and all the miles just came effortlessly and it was like I was just flying. The second half of that race could not have been more perfect. I felt way better at mile 10 than I did at mile 3

You hurled and still made a PR? Go you!!
    That is a great 1/2 story. My first is in Sept. and I hope it is as successful!!
  • nikkohli
    Options
    Bad story- l made myself a promise I would schedule my run days and run at 5.30am no matter what, no excuses meant NO EXCUSES. One morning it was cold, very cold and a little rainy. I stood at my front door and talked myself into a three mile run. I live in southern AZ so I don't get cold often and I hate the cold. I ran and I cried from about 10 minutes in until I finished. I swear my tears were frozen to my face! After this I decided cold and rain were not excuses but a valid reason to stay inside!

Funny story- I was playing Zombie run and there was a storyline that had dogs in it. I was running along and the dog sounds got louder and louder. Then my playlist started and I could still hear the dogs.(this should have been my clue) Then I heard someone screaming and it wasn't the game..... I turned around to see two people chasing me down. They were yelling something so I stopped and pulled out my earbuds. To my surprise there was a small dog right at my feet!! I guess the dog wanted to run too! Apparently I ran quite a ways with this small dog right behind me.

That was me today- I woke, my stomach hurt, humidity was at 70. I just knew it wasn't meant to be but I had the same "6:00AM NO EXCUSES" rule. Sometimes it isn't an excuse but just knowing better!

I love the visual of that little pup trotting behind you!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Bad run: I was racing a half marathon and thought I was feeling okay but actually must have had a virus or something. I was running really well though it was hard work because it was really windy. Until around mile 12, my legs started to hurt, people started passing me, and I woke up on the grass at the side of the track with hypothermia (from shock) and a sprained ankle. First and only time I've ever fainted and I was just lucky someone grabbed me before I fell in the river.

Practically all of the other runs are good runs, though. :smile:
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bad run:
    Ironman, it was overnight so started running at about 3am. Was violently sick at mile 90 of the bike ride and ran the entire marathon distance on about 5 sips of water and no food at all. Every step hurt. I finished but I didn't run again for about 6 months afterwards!

Good run: Had an appalling cold but decided to do my scheduled 5km race anyway as it was my friend's first one and I didn't want to let her down. Couldn't breath at all so said to her 'you go ahead and I'll see you at the finish'. When I got to the start I thought I should be able to keep up with her even if I'm poorly because she isn't super fast so tried to catch her. Spent the whole race trying to catch her, couldn't believe it because we'd never run that fast in training so I thought I must have been running really slowly. Got to the end and about 10 minutes later so did she! I'd overtaken her within 50m of the start without realising and spent the rest of the the race chasing a ghost! Result = 5km PB.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Bad run:

Random busy day where I had to squeeze in a 5 mile easy run. I ended up having to go to the bathroom so badly that I was forced to choose between walking or pooping myself. I actually cursed out a random homeowner who had put cameras in their yard, which prevented me from copping a squat in their bushes. Upon reflection, they probably put cameras up to stop random runners from crapping in their yard. It was not a good scene, but disaster was averted.

Good run(s): 1) any run where i don't have to do the above. 2) My first marathon. It was long and painful, but the feeling I got crossing that finish line is something I will never, ever forget. 3) A few years later, after spending so much time hanging out as a midpack marathoner, i decided to randomly try to run with the 4-hour pace group. They weren't running even splits, so I moved up to the 3:55 group. They were running too slow by the end, so I jogged on ahead. "Accidentally" running a 3:52 showed me that I had all kinds of unrealized potential. Since then, I've been seeing how far I can push myself.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bad run story: I first started running a few years ago, right after I quit smoking. I couldn't run for longer than 30 seconds without thinking I was gonna die. I had always hated to run as well, and when i began i had to "learn" how to run, and it was awhile before i figured that out. it was discouraging, to say the least.

good run story: less than 6 months later, I ran for 2 solid hours, and now run on a regular basis. the difference in my ability, as well as my progress, was incredible, and all I did was persist and not give up. it did take awhile but it was so worth it, imo.
  • NinjaChickie
    NinjaChickie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bad Story: After work one day, I got 1 km into what was supposed to be a 5 km run, when my stomach decided it wasn't going to hold onto lunch any more. With no bathroom in sight, I spent the next 20 minutes walking very slowly back to office, clenching as tight as possible. Having to stop every 50 paces or so to breathe through the fever like feelings and cramping, and focus on keeping things inside. Looking back now, I can laugh about it, but at the time it was HORRIBLE.

Good Story: I made it to a toilet without incident.

Better Good Story: Was minding my own business running down the street one day and noticed that every time I passed a bus stop, people were giving me nasty looks. I kept wiping at my face thinking i had something on there, and checking my shoes, jacket, pants to see if anything was amiss, dragging a stream of toilet paper, or had a kick me sign on my back, but couldn't figure out why I kept getting death stares from everyone I passed. Eventually after about the 5th bus stop, i had to jump out of the way of a huge puddle that was splashing up onto side walk. That's when I realized that, I wasn't getting the evil eye, everyone thought I was crazy for running in the rain. It felt great to know that I was among an elite few who were willing to run in the rain. Was super smug for rest of run and had a huge smile for all the other people waiting for the bus.

Best Story: Crossing the finish line of my first Half Marathon and seeing my parents waiting there for me.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Bad run - I was just getting back into running after a long layoff. I was very much overweight and out of shape. A group of friends signed up for a Hypothermic Half marathon - that is a half marathon in the middle of February. I went in way under trained. The day was freezing with a strong headwind on the way back. I still sweat but it was so cold, my wet hat and the wind actually hurt my head.
    I started an hour early with the walkers (and a few other runners). I hit the wall (I can't even remember at what point) and basically ran pole lengths to finish. I could barely even move my legs. It was excruiating. Luckily, I wasn't the only one and had a friend in the same position to help keep me going. But I finished and I am proud of that. Plus it was a lesson to me.
    That was also the same race I got beat by a speed walker.

Best run - I was doing a leg for a relay team. I was back in shape at this point but hadn't raced in a bit so didn't have a good feel for my pace. The leg was around 15km. In this relay, you have a set time to finish the leg, otherwise the timing mat moves on and your team gets a penalty. It is roughly a 9:30 minute mile pace to "make the mat" (all legs are different distances so different goal times for each leg). I had run the relay before and just "missed the mat". It is heartbreaking to see the truck pull away. They will not wait for you no matter what. You can be steps away but when time is up, time is up. All I wanted to do is make the mat. I wasn't familiar with the leg so had no ability to really judge where I was. I knew the first water stop is 5k into the legs. At this time I didn't have a Garmin so I was just relying on a regular watch for time.
    It was a gorgeous leg, first thing in the morning, right after sunrise. I was running through a river valley, the sun was still rising over the mountains and there was a low lying fog. It was a perfect temperature for running. Just all around perfect. One of those times you are just happy to be out running. I was feeling good and passing people. I thought I was going too fast for the start but I felt good so I kept it up.
    When I got to the water stop, I looked at my time and figured my pace. I was behind goal pace. I wasn't going to make the mat at that pace and wasn't sure I could keep up the pace I had been doing. I kept pushing but was heartbroken I didn't think I could make up the time. At one point my husband drove by and I yelled to him that I wasn't going to make the mat. He told me the water stop was further than 5k. I couldn't decide if he was lying to me to keep my spirits up, worried that I would just give up and go slower or telling the truth. I kept pushing.
    There are no mile markers along the course but they usually put one out 1km before the end. I continued to run, checking my time, doing the math in my head, figuring how much time I might have left. I ended up alongside another runner and we chatted for a bit. He kept saying we were close but still no sign. Then I heard the finish line, went around the bend and there it was, timing mat and all. I was pumped.
    And then I saw my time/pace. I run in minutes per mile and it was listed in minutes per kilometer. I did the math and conversion at least 5 times. Not only had I made the mat, I killed any race pace I had ever done. I hadn't even raced a 5k at that pace. It was around an 8:30 minute mile.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Bad run: I realized about half way thru a short 3 mile I needed to poop but it was only three miles and I was half done. Well I got close to home but was at 2.79 miles so I ran down past my house and back to get the full three miles. Well I forgot that because of some recent break ins in my neighborhood I had locked my house keys in the car and took my spare car key with me. Normally I would leave my house keys just in my glove box but not lock the car. Well that extra time to unlock my car and house was my undoing and I did not make it to the bathroom in time....

Good run: one run I changed my route to add in a few extra miles well even though I have driven the route I took I didn't realize the length and slope of a hill I would have to run up, I was not prepared for it and had to walk a lot of the hill which pissed me off because I hadn't had to walk during a run in ages, well the following week I did that route again and crushed that hill, felt awesome!!!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Bad run- my first and only half marathon I had to make 4 porta potty stops with the runs- badly!
    Good run- I love running in the cold in the winter and feeling like I could run forever.
  • bingbingwing89
    bingbingwing89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bad run day was on July 5th. My foot slipped on some gravel and I got road rash on both palms of my hands, elbow, shoulder and several fingers. I didn't break anything, but I am missing a lot of skin. It's going to take some time to heal.

Good run day was a few weeks ago when I did my long run of 10 miles. I am training for a half marathon. It felt so effortless and I ran it faster than I planned.

We all have bad days. I've learned this from training for several races. You can go out feeling like it will be a good run, and it's the worst run ever. Then your next run you could be sleep deprived and run your fastest run that day.
  • nikkohli
    Options
    We all have bad days. I've learned this from training for several races. You can go out feeling like it will be a good run, and it's the worst run ever. Then your next run you could be sleep deprived and run your fastest run that day.

I needed this!

Thanks for sharing everyone! They were all so much fun to read! I am motivated to keep to my 1/2 schedule and get out there tonight!!! :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Not a bad run story more unexpected, I am doing Race for Life in 10days and I went around the park where it will be and ran a route around it, there are unexpected 'hilly' areas, I only managed 4.85miles before calling it quites felt terrible afterwards as well as ran out at 11am on a sunny day.

Good run story: My first half was the end of May, did it with a friend, our training runs were ok nothing to write home about, did 12miles in 1:57. The weekend of the half I was super busy flew in from my holiday in Austria Friday evening in to London, had a family birthday on the Saturday in Birmingham and then the race was in Liverpool on the Sunday. When I arrived in Liverpool I was super tired, we stayed in this HORRIBLE B&B (really noisy and not that clean). Got up for the race with the idea that I had to beat 2:10 (as my brother-in-law did a race 2 months earlier and got about that), wanted to do 2:05, started the race really thought I had pushed myself, there were pacers holding balloons and I lost all of them so I had only a vague idea of my time based on my watch. Came up to finish line in a sprint and saw the time on the clock was 2:06 something sprinted and cleared it in 2.07 something. My friend came in after me and she was a little disappointed as she was 2:31 and she wanted to do it under 2:30, so although both happy we finished we were a little deflated. Later on my friend looked up our results online, neither of us had factored in the time it took us to get from one of the back starting paddocks to the actual start line, she had finised in 2:23 and I had actually done it in 1:59:11.

All in all most of my running experiences have been good even if at the time they felt awful.

Good luck with your training!
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    BTW I love this thread, really uplifting!