eating healthy on a road trip

Options
hi all! In a few weeks, my husband and I will be taking a two week road trip on a Harley. I definitely want to keep pushing forward with MFP. looking for ideas for eating on the road. Packing will be tight. and it will be tough (but not impossible) to carry my smaller food scale with me... (even into restaurants?)

I want tips for road trip eating and quick exercises. Anyone ever tried workouts ON a Harley?

have an awesome day

Debra

Replies

• moglovesshoez
    moglovesshoez Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Make up a healthy trail mix for snacking, try to order mainly meat and veg in restaurants, do some body weight exercises/jumping jacks/ jogging on the spot at the side of the road when you take bike breaks. Most importantly... have a great trip :)
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to take food scales into restaurants, but you can always ask the waiter to ask the chef not to use certain oils or whatever so you can have better guesstimates.

As for eating on the road, I like the idea of preparing meals before hand which are nice to eat cold. Eg, 8oz chicken with boiled potatoes in a Tupperware container. If you're going to be eating at restaurants more, most of the chain ones will have nutritional information on their websites.

What's a Harley? A motorcycle? :huh:
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    When I'm traveling, I like to preweigh snacks (almonds, craisins, reeses pieces, celery, etc) into snack size zip top bags and then write the weight on them. That way, I can grab what I want and quickly log it into MFP. I wouldn't bring the food scale with me though, it seems like it'll take up more room that it is worth.

If you don't have room to pack your own snacks, look for the smaller portioned snacks at the convenience stores. That way it doesn't matter if you eat the entire bag :)
  • saynay18
    saynay18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    JERKY! Tons of protein
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    Stay away from deep fried foods in restaurants. Eat half of the entree and share it with someone else. While in the car, try not to eat much since you are basically just sitting all the way there. Bring some low calories bar or something like that. A lot of water too.
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Most gas stations/truck stops stock healthy snack options now so you should be able to find something when you stop. As far as restaurants, look for the healthier food items like chicken, fish, and veggies. Stay away from fried items. Ask the wait staff for opinions on items or a nutritional sheet. And don't be afraid to ask for substitutions or modifications most of the time the staff will accommodate you.
  • SugarFreePanda
    SugarFreePanda Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips!

Yes, a Harley is a motorcycle :)
    What's a Harley? A motorcycle? :huh:
  • SugarFreePanda
    Options
    I love the 'labeled' baggie idea. That is awesome! Thank you
    When I'm traveling, I like to preweigh snacks (almonds, craisins, reeses pieces, celery, etc) into snack size zip top bags and then write the weight on them. That way, I can grab what I want and quickly log it into MFP. I wouldn't bring the food scale with me though, it seems like it'll take up more room that it is worth.
  • SugarFreePanda
    Options
    Being a vegan (don't like taste of most meats) adds to my 'challenge.' I love the jumping jacks idea... maybe burn more calories since I will be in full motorcycle gear (helmet, chaps, protective jacket)!! LOL:laugh:
    Make up a healthy trail mix for snacking, try to order mainly meat and veg in restaurants, do some body weight exercises/jumping jacks/ jogging on the spot at the side of the road when you take bike breaks. Most importantly... have a great trip :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people always suggest trail mix for these things. They are VERY calorically dense. The purpose is to get lots of energy while you are out hiking or whatever not sitting in a car/on a bike.

I would take some fruit for snacking personally. When you stop just pick lower calorie options. Clearly things that are deep fried/higher fat content meats are going to be higher calorie.
  • DanceswithWow
    Options
    Hello Debra

Arent you trepidatious. Going Healthy on a Harley

Im jealous.

Well I want to be the first to say you will not be satisfied..Trail mixes, and packaged dried fruits and seeds.. YUCKY

Yes bring them along but use as them as mostly condiments on food you by at the stops..

Some one said do Not eat fried food..I disagree.. eat fried food.. not every stop but eat friend food..

Just be particular that if it is friend you can extract some substance out of it...It takes alot of energy to focus riding over stretches of cement and even more so with the vibration and bumps..

Contrary to what you may think your body is going to need some of that fat..

Stop at kentucky fried, subway, dennys and even Mc Donald's -

Pack these carbs: Pita Pockets cut into halves, whole grain pretzels, flat bread crackers, a low profile container of peanut butter, and Nature valley granola bars the lowest sugar kind.. I think its 12 grams of sugar..

Your real enemy is double digit sugar.. not the hydrogenated fats..

At kentucky fried for xample.. I would buy their breast and thigh box...and dress down some but not all the skin, and use nay greens I could find and make a Naked kentucky PITA wrap or breasted flat bread sandwich.. use the plastic knife to cut to your portion size..

pack up the remaining chicken and take it with you and make your next stop subway..use the rest of chicken from Kentucky fried to up your food energy. Most weight loss purist don't understand how hormones work and neglect the fact that Meal satisfaction helps you loose weight.

Your job is not to focus on calories to remain on track with loosing weight but to teach your body how to release lipolytic enzymes..this hormone agent is the only substance of the body that can communicate with unwanted body fat, the only hormone agent that can transfer and transmit information to unwanted body fat and the only hormone agent that can command and deweaponize unwanted body fat to stand down..

Hope this helps

think three dimensionally when packing foods for traveling on your cycle..not one.. Act like you are traveling too outer space how would you make sure you got nourished for the trip..

While didnt cover exercise..here's what I have done
    take two burlap or reusable poly sacks.the grocery store type or trade Joes kind will work..
    Fill with rocks or stones..to add load and resistance
    perform walking lungs, speed skaters, power cleans and .up right rows,

do one runway up and back,, double pumps or body weight squats.. with bags against your chest..

create an intensity sequence to tease your metabolism perform twice and be done,

you will make it to your destination full of life force
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    alternatively just go with the life force
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Being a vegan (don't like taste of most meats) adds to my 'challenge.' I love the jumping jacks idea... maybe burn more calories since I will be in full motorcycle gear (helmet, chaps, protective jacket)!! LOL:laugh:

You can go to a site like Tripadvisor to see what types of restaurants there are in the cities you'll be visiting. You can narrow it down by cuisine, as well. One place I try to utilize a lot when I'm traveling is Subway. There is usually a Subway nearby pretty much wherever you go and you can put together the type of sandwich you want.
  • SFDonovan
    SFDonovan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Took a road trip on my Street Glide last summer. 2250 miles from Dallas to Pensacola to Maggie Valley NC and back. At every stop I made (restaurant) for lunch I made sure I turned to the lunch portion of the menu first ( not dinner), or found a lighter side part of the menu with low cal options. Far too many times before I would order a dinner sized portion off the menu without realizing it. If I have to stop for a burger here or there, at least avoid the fries and get a small side salad.

For your trip, take some granola bars for portability. Trail mix will get messy if you try to snack while riding.

Don't forget your sun screen, and lip balm, and keep the rubber side down.

Be Safe!
  • gretlarson
    gretlarson Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When traveling, I try not to pick up things to eat at gas stations. We try to stop at Super centers. You can go to the bathroom there and can pick up some fruit and veggies and protein without breaking the bank. Plus you can walk around a bit and some even have gas stations so you don't have to go to too many places.
  • RunDomRun24
    RunDomRun24 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Grocery stores are your friends. Rather than pulling in a convenience store or restaurant at every stop, hit the supermarket. Some Deli counters have healthy options. bean salads, quinoa salads, sushi, etc. Even their sandwiches can be good since it won't come with fries! grab some fruit and pre-cut vegetables to much on instead.

Yes, I do go to restaurants when I am on the road, but one meal where I try to stay away from restaurants is breakfast. The bacon and home fries are just too appealing and should be kept for a treat, not an every day occurrence. I buy packets of oatmeal (the unsweetened ones so I can control the amount of sugar) and all I need is a container, a spoon, boiling water and a spoonful of raisins.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a restaurant that wouldn't fix a plain grilled chicken breast and broccoli if that's what you want. Most restaurants will accomodate special requests, like no butter in the veggies. While not ideal, you will be stopping frequently for gas (our Harley only goes about 150 miles on a tank), and most gas station convenience stores carry yogurt, cheese sticks, pretzels, etc., things you can fit into your daily caloric goals. Some even have little packs of carrots & apples. Just pack a spoon! :happy:

As for exercise, you really can't do anything on the Harley. But you can walk & do floor exercises (lunges, etc.) in the evenings and on breaks.

Have a great trip!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My husband & I go on a lot of road trips, short and long. Our usual M.O. is to drink a lot of water (even if it means more restroom stops, it is much better than the frustration of being dehydrated) and not to snack on the road at all unless there's a huge split between cities/towns and for that we pack a couple of "emergency" protein bars. Instead, we try to plan our trips around places that we can go for long walks or hikes, or at least some sight-seeing and window shopping for a few hours...then meals in restaurants where we genuinely want to eat.

Often we will plan the restaurant meals far in advance and it gives us the opportunity to try new or local/regional foods in the areas we visit which is a lot more fun to me than just getting Subway salads everywhere (that's what my senior parents do on road trips since they're also health conscious). As for those restaurant meals...we just try to use common sense. Sometimes we indulge quite a lot but the exercise we get along the way makes up the difference.

Have a great trip!!