Weight Gain During Menstrual Cycle

Options
Hello all,

I'm new to My Fitness Pal, and wanted to share my back story.

All my life I've struggled with being overweight, but recently I decided to be more active and treat my body better. So I've cut out all my favorite full fat sodas, pizzas, pastas in favor for water, green tea, oven roasted chicken and veggie dinners.

So far in the past four weeks I've managed to lose 4 kgs (almost 9lbs) which I am happy about.

However last week my weight started to creep up even though I have been maintaining my diet and exercise regime. This past sunday I started my period and I my weight was up a full 2 kgs (4.4lbs) which has been discouraging as I have been drinking at least 2 liters of water everyday to prevent any water retention.

I'm now on day 4 of my period and my weight is still up 1.5 kgs (3.3lbs).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any comments would be appreciated!!!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. So take measurements & photos, too.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I gain 5 pounds during my period and lose it again in the last few days. Totally normal. Keep doing what you're doing!
  • yosassi
    yosassi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh girl.

I'm going through this right now for the third month in a row. I also worried about it. Luckily, when my period was over, I not only dropped all the weight, but lost more as if the blip never happened. I think it just hits some of us harder. Hopefully, once you're done you'll be even lighter than when you started! It is just part of the cycle.

Let me know! If not, then we'll have to brainstorm other solutions.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    if you eat lots of asparagus, it will act as a diuretic and help keep you from large water weight gains. it's low calorie and tasty, too.
  • amandagorder
    amandagorder Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ^^ itsbasschick where have you been all my life?? I always gain like 8 lbs during mine.... then it falls off when ever I hit the "wall" its usually mother nature awarding me for living another month
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I always gain a few pounds during my period, but it all goes away when it ends.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question yesterday, but did not get an answer to this. I only gained about 600g (and it wasn't further up today) but I was indeed wondering about this. Never noticed it before as I only recently bought a digital scale and I only take a break from the pill every 2-3 months. So lets just see what happens in a few days :)
  • JadeLover626
    JadeLover626 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It happens to me Every month too, 2-6 lb. difference, however mine does not seem to disappear when my period ends 3-4 days later. I usually hold on to at least 2 lbs. So frustrating!
  • jmlynar
    jmlynar Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I gain about 5 lbs a week before I get my period. After I'm done, it goes away!
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, chickie! I have been absolutely ace with my eating and being active, only to watch the scale go up. So miserable, but I am coming to realize I freak out every time and it really does go away afterward, and fast. Sometimes I gain upwards of 7-8lbs! And when I say "coming to realize" I mean after 24 years of going through periods (I'm 36) I just had that realization and acceptance as of day before yesterday. :laugh: Like, I have to do this for the next 10-15 years still so I may as well accept what my body is doing.

If I could only now figure out a way to harness all the emotional power that comes with Aunt Flo and use it to my advantage...
  • Mitsuo8
    Mitsuo8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just something us women have to deal with. My only suggestion is to resist the urge to weigh yourself when you do have your period, since it is discouraging to you.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Its absolutely normal. Don't stress it! Even when it NOT that TOM, your weight can fluctuate from day to day and even from hour to hour. I recommend only weighing yourself once a week. Otherwise, you'll drive yourself crazy with those fluctuations.
  • svincent1217
    svincent1217 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just something us women have to deal with. My only suggestion is to resist the urge to weigh yourself when you do have your period, since it is discouraging to you.

I try not to weigh myself about 3-4 days prior to my period and for a couple days after. Because it is discouraging and annoying to knwo you're doing the right things and simply because of mother nature, we're punished on the scale for it. Try not to concern yourself with it too much and try not to give into temptation during those times.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    It should go down again. Maybe in the future you could just avoid weighing in around that time of the month if you find it upsetting. I understand how frustrating it is when you're trying hard. My hormones have been out of whack lately and I've skipped a couple of periods so my weights stayed up a while and then I took some medication for a week which made me gain another 6lbs during that week but I stopped the meds and have dropped 4lbs over the last 2 days. Lots of things can mess with our bodies.
  • sarahfishy
    sarahfishy Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your pearls of wisdom and input.

I think I will avoid weighing myself during my period as I think it will really derail my motivation.

Obviously this is just my body doing its thing I have to let it happen and not stress me out, and continue to exercise and eat as normal.

Thanks everyone again!! :flowerforyou:
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about anything when it's period time. Just surviving the week can be a tough enough challenge. HA!
  • adstott
    adstott Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    very normal and every period is different I've learned that!
  • Kelly_2013
    Kelly_2013 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! The week leading up to... and then the week of I always have usually around a 5 lb gain!
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have been on my weight loss journey for a year - I gain weight every month during that week - as soon as it is over, I lose that weight and often a little more. My body bloats regardless of what I try. If you find it too discouraging refrain from weighing during that week.
  • chrissistarr
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I usually gain 5-10 lbs of water weight and feel puffy all week then its hard to get the last of it off for the next week. I had my period TWICE this month so i can tell you I am drinking lots of tea and looking at more sauna time and cardio workouts...