... and?
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    that's it... no and
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Can you get your protein from eating food instead?
  • almonds1
    Options
    yes, I tend to do that. I had a nutritionist tell me that 90G was fine.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Try beer:

3cd9aad0-26ed-4513-96df-f3c920a3430e_zps45e06abc.png
  • almonds1
    Options
    Try beer:

I could use a 288 Oz pint lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Try beer:

I accidentally put in 24 x 12 oz serves, instead of 24oz. I love that the app was happy for me.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your fitness goals. The regular, average person needs nowhere near 1g/lb of body weight.

But of course if you're trying to build muscle, you're not trying to be just average ;)
  • almonds1
    Options
    It all depends on your fitness goals. The regular, average person needs nowhere near 1g/lb of body weight.

But of course if you're trying to build muscle, you're not trying to be just average ;)

Nah, at this point its all about staying lean!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Have a steak :)
  • GoodLittleEater
    GoodLittleEater Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Try beer:

I accidentally put in 24 x 12 oz serves, instead of 24oz. I love that the app was happy for me.

… And throwing a cowboy celebration!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    There's protein in screws? I get that screws are probably a really good source of iron, but I'm pretty sure they don't contain protein.

:bigsmile:
  • Gshort78
    Gshort78 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Isn't it 1 gram of protein for each pound of LBM (not bodyweight)?
  • almonds1
    Options
    There's protein in screws? I get that screws are probably a really good source of iron, but I'm pretty sure they don't contain protein.

maybe I was thinking nail protein ?
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Either that or it's the protein you get from the other type of screw :devil:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    But think of all the calories you'll burn screwing....

:glasses:
  • almonds1
    Options

Either that or it's the protein you get from the other type of screw :devil:

the best kind :glasses:
  • almonds1
    Options
    Isn't it 1 gram of protein for each pound of LBM (not bodyweight)?

ya, I go by kilos now...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    In the immortal words of Frank Drebin - "Nice beaver."

(Another vote for 1g per lb of lean mass, not total bodyweight.)
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Nah, at this point its all about staying lean!!

If your goal is to maintain then I don't know where you got the idea from that you need 1gb/lb.

There's not even any science behind 1g/lb for actually building muscle, let alone maintaining.

The last time I bothered to look into it, depending on the study, the amount of protein needed to maintain ranged from a third of that to less than half.

Here's just a few studies to give you an idea:

"Lean body mass (density) was maintained in bodybuilders consuming 1.05 g protein.kg-1.day-1. Endurance athletes excreted more total daily urea than either bodybuilders or controls. We conclude that bodybuilders during habitual training require a daily protein intake only slightly greater than that for sedentary individuals in the maintenance of lean body mass and that endurance athletes require daily protein intakes greater than either bodybuilders or sedentary individuals to meet the needs of protein catabolism during exercise."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3356636

See that? 1.05g per KILOGRAM

Here's another:

"Knowing that the habitual protein intake of a strength athlete is on average 2 g/kg body weight per day (54), it is safe to say that whether novice or advanced, protein requirements for maintaining and/or gaining LBM are being met. Evidence has clearly shown that actual protein requirements for strength training are significantly lower at 1.2 g/kg body weight per day for advanced and 1.5–1.7 g/kg body weight per day for novice (31,32,43,57,59)."

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/Fulltext/2012/10000/Protein_Requirements_for_Strength_Training.14.aspx