Too young to care about calories?

Options
I just turned 22 a few days ago, and while at home visiting my parents I had an interesting conversation. My entire family thinks that I am WAY too young to be worried about my caloric intake - I'm not trying to lose weight, I just work out because it makes me feel good and because I don't want to gain any weight. They think I should stop counting calories and just enjoy.

And in all honesty, tracking my calories has gotten to the point where I feel incredibly guilty if I eat something I don't know how to track, or if I have some desert, or eat out in a restaurant.

What are your thoughts? Is it a bad habit to get into to track my calories now, especially when I don't "need" to?

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You aren't too young to worry about nutrition and health. But if you are feeling guilt over eating and logging, you need to work on your relationship with food.

Food shouldn't bring guilt feelings. You should be able to enjoy dessert, enjoy an evening out.
  • Celia_Arminta
    Celia_Arminta Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wish I was more like you! I'm 26 and my metabolism slowed down in my early 20's. If I tracked like you I wouldnt be 40lbs overweight! I think what you are doing is responsible but I wouldnt let your calorie counting take control too much. You should let your hair down once and a while! Even Weight Watchers members track once they lose the weight and maintain.
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    I always feel that way, too. I actually have stopped counting unless I'm eating dangerously low (for a variety of reasons including feeling sick, off days, etc.) and need to see if I'm being super unhealthy with it.

The reason I don't usually count? I spent months counting and could feel myself becoming obsessed with it. I lost weight way faster than I should have and in the end it made me miserable. I think that if you have stayed the same weight for awhile and are not trying to lose, you don't really have to count unless you're eating something foreign. At this point, you probably know about how much of what to eat to stay the same weight.

Obviously as you age that amount will have to be decreased a bit due to differences in metabolism etc. But idk, I guess I never understood why someone who is young and happy with their weight would want to spend so much time counting and measuring if you're already good at maintaining? /:
  • TinyBriony91
    Options
    Being conscious of your health and fitness is important at any age. But, if you are not trying to lose weight and you haven't had to in the past, then I consider that perhaps you should not count the calories at this stage. Focus on getting fit and strong. It sounds like you may be developing a controlling attitude towards your calorie intake and I can say from experience (this crippled me as a teenager), that this can get out of hand pretty quickly. Sounds like you are a healthy weight and would be fine just enjoying getting fit :) If you are worried, perhaps weigh yourself say once a month to check that you are still where you want to be x
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think it's smart to be tracking your calories and working out. The habits that you make today will continue to carry with you because it will be second nature. I agree with the above poster, you shouldn't feel badly about having a night out and consuming extra calories....That's life and you'll always have those days. BUT with you tracking your calories and being aware of what you're consuming daily you know that the next day you'll be back on track.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    No, you're not too young. There are fat 22 year old people who should care about counting calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I just turned 22 a few days ago, and while at home visiting my parents I had an interesting conversation. My entire family thinks that I am WAY too young to be worried about my caloric intake - I'm not trying to lose weight, I just work out because it makes me feel good and because I don't want to gain any weight. They think I should stop counting calories and just enjoy.

And in all honesty, tracking my calories has gotten to the point where I feel incredibly guilty if I eat something I don't know how to track, or if I have some desert, or eat out in a restaurant.

What are your thoughts? Is it a bad habit to get into to track my calories now, especially when I don't "need" to?

you're 22 not 12.. as an adult you can persue any interests you wish.

that being said, if you're feeling guilty about eating something you cant log then you need to take a step back... life is to short to never eat cake!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of mental/emotional health. If tracking is bringing on guilt for the occassional small treat, that means something is off with your relationship with food. Taking a step back from tracking might be a good idea for a while. And if you find you can't, maybe considering counseling.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I feel incredibly guilty if I eat something I don't know how to track, or if I have some desert, or eat out in a restaurant.

My daughter is 25 yrs old & very slender, if she said what you've said above, it would concern me.
    It's about balance & if you're starting to become pre-occupied with something that is not a problem, rather, it's potential to be a problem, well, then, something's going a little sideways.

A little prospective is needed & that can only be had with a bit of distance...
  • RiverBug89
    RiverBug89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, two separate issues:

If the calorie counting makes you feel bad now, it will also make you feel bad later in life. May as well find a way to cope with it now while you feel good about where your body is. Don't ignore the problem, but maybe do some reading or pursue some therapy.

At the same time: lots of people use calorie counting only to learn about correct portions and which foods are more of an indulgence than others. Once you learn to eyeball, maybe you can stop counting. I am not one of these people, I lie to myself about treats I sneak.

But you are not too young. I'm 24, and I put 10-15 lbs on during grad school. I found that when your life schedule/habits change, it's easy to lose track of what you eat (for me, started eating out more with people, and became less active). Now I'm working to lose that weight, and I wish I had just never gained it. It's just... easier if you never gain it in the first place.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    The guilt associated with what and how much you eat is a little worrisome. I'm on the other end of the age scale and I wasted a lot of years in my 20s and 30s thinking I was overweight (I was not) and obsessing over my choices. It led to a lot of unhealthy behaviors in my 30s and 40s.

I had a quick look at your diary (I hope you don't mind) and on the days that you have logged, the majority of days you have eaten way under your calorie allowance. This restriction paired with guilt is a really rocky, hard road. It doesn't go anywhere good.

Being conscious of your health is a good thing. When you give food control over you or food becomes tied up in your emotions, it might be time to step back and re-evaluate.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

If you are feeling incredibly guilty and can't eat out or have dessert you have food-relationship issues you need to deal with.
    That is what they are talking about.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You're not too young to care, but your guilt feelings are a big red flag. If you're maintaining your weight, and have always been 'normal' sized there's no reason to count calories, you're obviously good at gauging your intake. If you were e.g. logging to ensure you hit a protein macro or to see if you had trigger foods for migraines/periods then I would say continue but all you're doing is making yourself feel bad :(

Ditch the calorie counting (as long as you don't get fat) eat sensibly and enjoy your life
  • katmurraymint
    Options
    I don't think you are too young to care about your health but at the same time treats and meals out are part of normal life and you should not feel guilty about having a treat or two in moderation particulalry being someone who is not over weight! Perhaps let your parents know that you are feeling so guilty as they could help you monitor that you are not becoming too controlled in your diet and eating routines :)
  • katmurraymint
    Options
    You're not too young to care, but your guilt feelings are a big red flag. If you're maintaining your weight, and have always been 'normal' sized there's no reason to count calories, you're obviously good at gauging your intake. If you were e.g. logging to ensure you hit a protein macro or to see if you had trigger foods for migraines/periods then I would say continue but all you're doing is making yourself feel bad :(

Ditch the calorie counting (as long as you don't get fat) eat sensibly and enjoy your life

I agree :)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Take a look at your parents. Are they at a healthy weight & fitness? Sometimes I find that young people who are naturally fit or thin DON"T think about their calorie intake at a certain age and then it catches up to them later in life. Some of the nicest people I've known never knew how to diet, count calories, exercise, eat healthy, or get their bodies back at a healthy weight as they aged because they "never had to do it when they were younger".
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You aren't too young to worry about nutrition and health. But if you are feeling guilt over eating and logging, you need to work on your relationship with food.

Food shouldn't bring guilt feelings. You should be able to enjoy dessert, enjoy an evening out.

This^
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You are not too young.

Staying a healthy weight and food awareness should be taught in Kindergarten, not something you have to see a Dr for or search the internet about when you're already overweight.

That being said: it's extremely easy to go overboard. It sounds like you need to work on your relationship with food. Food is neither a reward or punishment. It's just a way to re-fuel your body.
  • RozzeleS
    RozzeleS Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 and I count calories but i'd never feel guilty for going over. I think once you've counted calories for maintanence for a few months i wouldnt say it to be needed as you'll have a pretty good idea of what you need to be doing and just stick within the calories. Just Relax a little
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Age has nothing to do with it. But some people will always criticize your fitness goals no matter what. Some because they don't understand (mainly your family) and some because they are jelous. But on the other hand, you shouldn't freak out because you don't know how to track something. Estimate and put the closest thing you can find and you should be good to go, especially since you're not really trying lose weight right now.