Squats NSV

Options
darkrose20
darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
OK, so I have a bad knee, so I keep telling myself "it hurts". There really are times when the knee does hurt...I tweak it sometimes....darned horrible old injury...dislocated it at age 16...not enough for surgery, but there was a tear and a small chip in the knee cap. So "it hurts" I tell myself. "I can't do squats" I tell myself. I only ever go about half way down. I totally wuss out.

GUESS WHAT?!?! Not any more. I've been doing a 31 day squat challenge. I got ALL THE WAY DOWN. That's right. Butt touching heels! WOO HOO!!!! And I did 75 of the suckers today! NO PAIN IN THE KNEE...NO EXCUSES!

(also, forgive the rambling. I'm tired. I worked overnight and just got home to do the challenge squats then try to sleep)

Replies

• LStonePTL
    LStonePTL Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Great job. Our bodies can always do more than we think they can. Well done :flowerforyou:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Fantastic NSV, congratulations on pushing yourself!
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I've dislocated my knee a few times (first at 12) with surgery. I don't have too much trouble with squats but don't do deadlifts..

keep up the great work!!
  • HellyFaye
    HellyFaye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • CanadaChick74
    CanadaChick74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    OK, so I have a bad knee, so I keep telling myself "it hurts". There really are times when the knee does hurt...I tweak it sometimes....darned horrible old injury...dislocated it at age 16...not enough for surgery, but there was a tear and a small chip in the knee cap. So "it hurts" I tell myself. "I can't do squats" I tell myself. I only ever go about half way down. I totally wuss out.

GUESS WHAT?!?! Not any more. I've been doing a 31 day squat challenge. I got ALL THE WAY DOWN. That's right. Butt touching heels! WOO HOO!!!! And I did 75 of the suckers today! NO PAIN IN THE KNEE...NO EXCUSES!

(also, forgive the rambling. I'm tired. I worked overnight and just got home to do the challenge squats then try to sleep)

Thanks for posting this. I specifically haven't been doing any squats, because I was worried about my knees. I think I am going to give it a go!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

Hi, I need to hear this. RIGHT NOW I have a bandage on my knee. Same as you, old injury, no dislocation but pain every now and then. As of yeserdays workout, it HURTS LIKE HELL.

I'm just thinking it's going to go away soon and I will be back in form. I don't want to stop squatting. I want to go to the gym today!!!

So, what should I do at gym today if it hurts? Any suggestions...?

Granted, I know that when I drop some weight, the pain will subside so I'm looking forward to that.
  • darkrose20
    Options

Thanks for posting this. I specifically haven't been doing any squats, because I was worried about my knees. I think I am going to give it a go!

**HUGS** SO glad to be an inspiration. Let me know how it goes!
  • darkrose20
    Options

Hi, I need to hear this. RIGHT NOW I have a bandage on my knee. Same as you, old injury, no dislocation but pain every now and then. As of yeserdays workout, it HURTS LIKE HELL.

I'm just thinking it's going to go away soon and I will be back in form. I don't want to stop squatting. I want to go to the gym today!!!

So, what should I do at gym today if it hurts? Any suggestions...?

Granted, I know that when I drop some weight, the pain will subside so I'm looking forward to that.

Listen to your body. If it hurts that much, you will want to give it a good rest. Also, it depends on the TYPE of pain. If it's in the joint or it's sharp, PLEASE rest it and maybe get the doc involved. If you're having muscle pain, like...general soreness, then that's OK to sort of push through (at least that's what I've experienced).

Honestly, if you're saying "Hurts like hell" in all caps, you need rest. I generally take some Ibuprofen and alternate ice and heat and try to stay off it as much as possible. You may have injured yourself. Give your knee a bit of time to heal. I've had to before. It gets better, just don't seriously injure yourself. I'd say, focus on upper body. If you want to do cardio, do something low impact (walk at an incline, do the elliptical, do something involving rowing/spinning with the arms). PLEASE listen to your body.

FYI, this is coming from personal experience. I am in no way a gym rat or a doctor. Please, please, please see a doctor if it continues to hurt that bad. I saw the doc when I was just feeling pain that was a LITTLE worse than "normal" and grinding after starting to try to run. She said it was nothing, but I kept thinking about "what if it is something"...better safe than sorry, hon. As always, good luck with everything!

(Edited to fix typo/make more likely to be understood.)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!