Does running destroy your knees?

Options

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    No is the simple answer. There are some good posts above say why as well. There has also been quite a few studies showing as well as increasing bone density running also encourages cartilage growth. Those people that have knee problems that they normally blame on running normally have an underlying issue that has caused this so the running wasn't the cause.

I had a very serious knee injury 15 years ago there was talk of amputation due to the damage. Before I started running I was around 300 pounds then) I spoke to my Orthopeadic surgeon who said it was a good thing to do as it would strengthen the Knee joint and stability of the knee as the tendons, ligaments and muscles surrounding the joint would get stronger and more flexible. I've been running now around a year and had no major problems and from a personal perspective my knee is far more stable and less problematic.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was 215. I'm now 175. Just like any exercise, if you use proper form and equipment, you should be fine.

The minimalist/barefoot running trend has just about worn itself out. Which is good. Shoes are better now and the selection is wider, but we're not pushing it to a dangerous extreme.

The fore/mid foot strike is all the rage now. The research is mixed. The research is solid, however, on overstriking - you shouldn't reach out in front of you with your legs. Instead feel like you are landing with your feet under you.

In terms of a program, any of the couch to 5k versions are good.

I agree mostly but would only add a bit of caution in that running at 250-300 lbs is a little different than running at 215.

You bring up the key issue about stride -- it is OVERSTRIDING that is important, not foot strike per se. Everyone has their own biomechanics and it can be as wrong to push everyone to an arbitrary fore/mid strike as it was to push everyone to a heel strike 40 years ago.

He's 27 pounds overweight. I was 45. Fatter people than either of us have successful completed C25k without knee injury :)
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    No - we were Born to run .. we evolved that way --- we didn't evolve to be overweight - which puts more strain on many parts of our body.

That is just patently untrue. If we evolved to run, as you claim, we would be at least as fast as another animal that evolved to run: The cheetah, who routinely hits 50mph or so, and can hit bursts up to 70mph.

The fastest human recorded was about 28mph or so (Usain Bolt). And, the injury threshold is 25-26 mph.

Research shows we evolved for long distance, constant walking, with short bursts of speed for hunting. There was a lone study that may show we evolved for running, but again, that's a lone study and a conclusion of 2 researchers. Not the general consensus.

So just because one animal can run faster than another means that the slower one has not evolved to run ... wow :ohwell: :ohwell:

Yes, that's exactly what it means. There are certain traits that go along with an animal that has evolved to run... Namely, they run fast. They are built for running. Note the fastest animals all have 4 legs. They all have muscular shoulder, which dwarf most of the other musculature. Note how they are laid out: Aerodynamically.

All traits that lean towards being "evolved to run". Most of which we don't have.
  • coreyreichle
    Options
    No - we were Born to run .. we evolved that way --- we didn't evolve to be overweight - which puts more strain on many parts of our body.

That is just patently untrue. If we evolved to run, as you claim, we would be at least as fast as another animal that evolved to run: The cheetah, who routinely hits 50mph or so, and can hit bursts up to 70mph.

The fastest human recorded was about 28mph or so (Usain Bolt). And, the injury threshold is 25-26 mph.

Research shows we evolved for long distance, constant walking, with short bursts of speed for hunting. There was a lone study that may show we evolved for running, but again, that's a lone study and a conclusion of 2 researchers. Not the general consensus.

lulz

Please post reasearch

What? Research that shows the injury speed is 25-26mph? Or that the fastest human is only a fraction as fast as other land animals who actually evolved to run?
  • coreyreichle
    Options

So any other animal that cannot run as fast a cheetah was not meant to run?
    Your post is actually contradictory. If we were built for short bursts of speed for hunting, wouldn't we have fast short bursts of speed as other predators do, like the cheetah? If you compare physiology of animals that have short bursts of speed, we are very different.

OP - I help coach a Learn to Run program. We have a number of speakers come in and address a number of topics. The doctor who comes in to talk addresses this specifically. He echos what others have said - being overweight is far worse for our joints than running is. Running does not destroy knees. But, as others have pointed out, the extra weight does put on extra strain, so you need to proceed with caution, building up strength, good form, etc.

No, but animals that actually have evolved for running are magnitudes faster than we are. How many animals are you able to catch on foot?

We were designed for constant, long distance running, since we largely didn't evolved as hunters, but hunter-gatherers. It was key to be able to sustain a constant walk, in order to gather food. Hunting was largely opportunistic.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I used to think that I just had "bad knees". Once I completed the Couch-to-5K program I realized I was just fat and out of shape. With the exception of a meniscus strain 6 months ago, my knees have felt better and function better after I started running and doing lower body work outs...which lead to a lower weight.

Like everyone else said. Start slow, build gradually, and don't go on back to back days until you've been running for a while.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Your post is actually contradictory. If we were built for short bursts of speed for hunting, wouldn't we have fast short bursts of speed as other predators do, like the cheetah? If you compare physiology of animals that have short bursts of speed, we are very different.

OP - I help coach a Learn to Run program. We have a number of speakers come in and address a number of topics. The doctor who comes in to talk addresses this specifically. He echos what others have said - being overweight is far worse for our joints than running is. Running does not destroy knees. But, as others have pointed out, the extra weight does put on extra strain, so you need to proceed with caution, building up strength, good form, etc.

No, but animals that actually have evolved for running are magnitudes faster than we are. How many animals are you able to catch on foot?

We were designed for constant, long distance running, since we largely didn't evolved as hunters, but hunter-gatherers. It was key to be able to sustain a constant walk, in order to gather food. Hunting was largely opportunistic.

And that is what we are saying.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

But they don't sustain that speed for long...

So when you say we didn't evolve to run, what you meant was we evolved to run for sustained periods.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I have a less then perfect right knee- running hurt a great deal when I first started... I don't recommend pushing through the pain to anyone, rather listen to your body - if you knee is throbbing then don't run, rather immediately stretch your legs like crazzzzy, if I even start to feel pain I stop everything and take a 5-10 min stretch break right on the side of the road.

If your knee is in REALLY bad shape, or if you are REALLY overweight - you do not appear really over weight btw - however for those that fall into that category I recommend STARTING - by doing swimming for your aerobic exercise.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I weigh about 265, and running destroys my shins and my knees. Then again, I played football throughout high school and rugby in college, so my shins and knees were pretty well destroyed before then (pre-arthritis, torn PCL, wicked bumps on my shins from shin-splints, etc). I ran around the block the other day after doing the first half of a P90X video, and my shins were killing me from the run, not the video.

Low impact is about the only way I can go these days. When I do workout DVDs I modify to make it easier on my joints. Lets be honest - 250+ lbs is a lot of weight and can be hard on your joints!
  • tejor
    tejor Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I blew my knee out twice trying to run. The key is good shoes, getting your gait checked at a running store helps a lot. And dont push it right away. find a couch to 5k paln and start there. Slow and steady might not win the race but it will allow you to keep yourself in it.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

^that is rubbish -we were not designed for constant long, distance running.

1st off we were not designed - cute idea but we are nothing special just the only animals aware of our own impending death and suffering.

2nd - long distance running is not good for you - endurance running is not something we were 'built' for - you can condition yourself to be a long distance runner but you are going to look like skin and bones - rather HIIT SIT would be preferable if you are trying to look healthy and be healthy. Endurance and long distance running has a place in your workouts for heart health - but it is not good to do regularly for the average person - and unless they have a very low bodyfat% I recommend they avoid it all together and stick to HIIT.

just google sprinters vs marathon runners - and look at the difference in appearance.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about switching up my exercises. It seems silly but I got it in my head that running will destroy my knees. My friend says that being fat destroys them, not running. I weigh 256 lbs. (116 kg. or 18 stone 4 lbs.)

Your friend is correct.

Running will strengthen a lot of things, paired with lifting, you'll have strong legs all over.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Lots of great information and tips shared in this thread, but one thing I haven't seen yet is that it is important to vary the types of surfaces you run on. For example, cement is harder than asphalt so try not to only run on cement. Also, don't run on roads TOO often because they are cambered to prevent water from pooling. which can mess with your gait.

I used to run 6 days/week; in retrospect, I wish had taken more than one rest day per week.
  • dbmata
    Options
    2nd - long distance running is not good for you - endurance running is not something we were 'built' for

So we're not persistence hunters? We don't have physical advantages in our legs and cardiovascular system that lean towards suggesting that we're extremely well suited to long steady runs? (Design of our achilles tendon as an energy saving device, ability to sweat as we do for cooling.)

So Daniel Lieberman is totally off?
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/new_scientist/2013/06/daniel_lieberman_long_distance_running_we_evolved_endurance_and_dislike.html
  • likitisplit
    Options
    2nd - long distance running is not good for you - endurance running is not something we were 'built' for

So we're not persistence hunters? We don't have physical advantages in our legs and cardiovascular system that lean towards suggesting that we're extremely well suited to long steady runs? (Design of our achilles tendon as an energy saving device, ability to sweat as we do for cooling.)

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/new_scientist/2013/06/daniel_lieberman_long_distance_running_we_evolved_endurance_and_dislike.html

The fact that we are one of about three species (not including some of the dogs that we've bred) are even CAPABLE of running a continuous marathon without dying.
  • dbmata
    Options

The fact that we are one of about three species (not including some of the dogs that we've bred) are even CAPABLE of running a continuous marathon without dying.

Or run further than a marathon without suffering mortal danger.

What's interesting is that we can do this because the animals we ate couldn't. We'd run them to death over the course of several miles, and several hours. We can still do that. I know guys that just dream of the perfect shot to fell an elk, I personally would rather run one down, that would be a hunt.
  • likitisplit
    Options

We can track and run down most of them by persistence hunting. Almost no other animal can endurance run the way humans can. They will die first.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    2nd - long distance running is not good for you

Huh...
    endurance running is not something we were 'built' for - you can condition yourself to be a long distance runner but you are going to look like skin and bones

If I look around my office right now, none of the endurance athletes looks particularly unhealthy. All have bodyfat on the lower end of the spectrum, although not excepotionally low, and all seem to cope perfectly well with being a pretty reasonable build. Must be something to do with all the eating to fuel the training...
    just google sprinters vs marathon runners - and look at the difference in appearance.

Oh not that old chestnut again.

That assumes that the only training that they do is running, rather than having a cross training and resistance training plan that optimises their build for their sport.
  • dbmata
    Options
    We can track and run down most of them by persistence hunting. Almost no other animal can endurance run the way humans can. They will die first.

I think this section from the article I linked is highly relevant here:
    AA: But we have adaptations for this kind of endurance running?
    DL: Yes. Our bodies are loaded with all kinds of features: short toes that require less energy to stabilize and generate less shock when running; the Achilles tendon that stores and releases energy appropriately as we run; the large gluteus maximus muscles that steady the trunk; and stabilization of the head. I'm a middle-aged professor, I'm not a great specimen of an athlete, but I can easily run a marathon at a speed that would cause a dog my size to gallop.

AA: What's your best marathon time?
    DL: [Laughs] 3 hours and 34 minutes. There are guys who can run almost twice as fast as me.

AA: Still, if you made an animal run that far at your speed, you would ...
    DL: I'd have dinner.

I'd have dinner.