anyone wanting to quit smoking?

Options

Replies

• Red_sparkling_Titania
    Options
    I had tried several times to quit with patches etc from the doctors. It worked for a little but there wasn't a day that past that I didn't still crave that want to hold a cigarette and just generally want one. I had given up for 5 months first time. 7 months the next and just over 7 months again for following.
    I didn't feel like anything would work and I thought I'd have to go down the route of hypnosis. Which when I looked was very expensive but also very successful.
    I went and spoke to my doctor again and he referred me back to the smoking team. I chatted with someone for a while and he recommended I try Champix. He gave lots of success stories to which I just said, "yeah,yeah I will see".
    I don't know how much you know about the drug but basically it's meant to block out the receptors in the brain that trigger that want/need for a cigarette.
    If I'm honest I went into thinking it was a load of BS and said to myself, "I will take the damn tablet, won't read up on any thing and just see how it goes".
    In a nutshell you take one tablet a day and increase it to two. There can be symptoms as with any medicines. You carry on smoking whilst taking the tablets and gradually you smoke less until you just don't fancy it anymore.
    You're probably reading taking BS like I did.
    Anyway cut a long story short, within days I was smoking about half of my 20+ a day habit. Day 10 I finished my last cigarette and never looked back. I just didn't want the *kitten* and tasted horrible and I even tried forcing the *kitten* in me. You continue to take the tablets daily and reduce back down. In all I think it was a 3 month tablet course.
    My symptoms were the feeling of sickness daily and I had a few nightmares.
    It's been over 2 years and I have never wanted one since. I can't explain it. I honestly thought it was BS.
    I had been a heavy smoker for 15 years. Everything I did worked around me smoking. For example my routines of getting up making a cuppa and having a *kitten*. Get showered and have a *kitten*. Get dressed and drive to work where I smoked two. Had a *kitten* before I went in the building. Had a *kitten* a break time 10:15. Started lunch at 12pm and have 3 in my hour lunch. Etc etc
    It's bloody brilliant. I cannot praise it enough. I just don't understand it.
    If you speak to your GP I am sure they will offer great advice and support.
    Good luck
  • Red_sparkling_Titania
    Options
    Wow sorry that's sooooooo long! I cut it as much as I could
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I started smoking when I was 12 years old. I used to think I wouldn't have the willpower to quit. Then it became the, "Well, I'm just not ready right now" excuse/game.

I wrote something way back that might help you or might inspire you just to do it. I know that one day, I realized that I was just making excuses and just like weight loss, if I wanted to succeed and change then I needed to commit to it and "just do it." And I did..and I did it cold turkey too. Coming this August 13th, I'll have been smoke-free for 2 years after about 16-17 years of smoking.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/PikaKnight/view/are-you-ever-really-ready-to-quit-smoking-454253

Best of luck and just know you can quit smoking. It's not easy, but if I can do it, so can you.
  • Kabuhtu
    Kabuhtu Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I quit on June 4th. With the help of chantix. I took chantix for about 2 1/2 weeks before I could actually quit. It was hard. But I also did a lot of research and have a lot of support.

I guess the most frequent time of relapse is 1 month - 4 months. I know for the past week, like once a day, I think to myself I can just have a few drags to satisfy my craving and be fine. Thats my mind playing tricks on me!

AND, to be perfectly honest, I could NOT have done it with out food. Which I knew would happen. As soon as I started chantix, I quit MFP. I have been eating everything and anything for the past month. I have also been sick for the past month since I quit which doesnt help either. I have gone up 2 pant sizes and am back to what I was at my heaviest. I, just today, decided that I was ready to get back on MFP.

I dont see the point in waiting to quit until AFTER you have lost weight. Thats just nonsense. So, you can gain weight after you lost it all and get discouraged? I would rather be overweight for a few more months than be losing weight but still killing myself. And not only killing myself but everyone else around me! YOU DO have to be ready and completely sick and tired of being addicted to nicotine. I was vaping for the last few months and even that was annoying because of my dependency.

Anyways, Good luck and you can do it!
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

I think that was one of my hardest things about quitting...if I'm not smoking, WHAT am I going to do!?!

^ So much this.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I've half quit, I have good days and bad. But with my upcoming race schedule I have no choice but to quit completely. So here we go.

You better fully quit! I'm counting on you to carry me through two Spartan races :laugh: :noway:

Seriously though . . . you gotta quit. :flowerforyou:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    smoked for about 17 years on and off, quit with pregnancies, and for short bursts here and there.

I will say this:

IT WILL NOT WORK until you are mentally ready and TRULY want to stop. If you think, "I'll try but i really love smoking" you are setting yourself up for failure.

One day i just woke up and said I am not going to smoke any more.

March 13, 2010. I just stopped. That's it. For a few weeks it annoyed me when people smoked around me because i'd have a craving and i could not go out or drink because one leads to the other, but after a while, it looked gross, it smelled gross, and I am not even SLIGHTLY tempted.

And if you look at my MFP start date, that was the same day i joined here. I lost 20 pounds in the first 4 months i was here, and that was also the first 4 months of quitting. It can be done EASIER while on MFP, because you have something to occupy your mind. Eat veggies raw to have something to put in your mouth. Spend your time planning healthy recipes and grocery lists and logging your day in advance to have a plan to stick to.

People say you gain weight when you stop smoking, but this is only because THOSE people mindlessly snack MORE to have something in their mouth....

Since you are on MFP, you WON'T put extra stuff in your mouth and can track carefully to ensure you DON'T over eat!

Also, take up walking/jogging, or do Couch to 5K. You will be amazed at how much better you breathe after just 2 weeks, and even better after a few months!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    About 6 years ago, I quit a 2.5 - 3 pack a day habit, that I'd had since I was 15. I quit cold turkey. It was hard. I'd only had one brief relapse, but beyond that, it wasn't so bad. I'd still smoke the occasional cigar if I was out with friends, but never had any trouble not smoking. Though I will admit that not a day went by that I didn't want one.

A couple months ago, I started a temporary job with a ridiculous amount of stress. Everyone there smoked, and since we took breaks together, it was pretty easy for me to reach for them. It has managed to get back up to almost a pack a day. The thing is...I never smoke at home, or on my days off, which means I can pretty clearly go without them if I really wanted.

At the end of the day, that's what it boils down to...desire and will power. Try different things until you find one that makes you feel stronger. Focus on willing yourself to resist. Find something you want more, and focus on it. You'll get there...just keep swinging away at it.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I miss it, a lot. But when I'm running, I'm so glad I haven't started back up. I'm near death without smoking when I run; it would be full torture if I was still smoking.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I smoked socially (when I was drinking) for 15 years. I started in high school. Ugh. I'm so mad at myself for it.

When I started CrossFit, I cut back significantly. Now that there is no one in my life who smokes at all, I haven't had one in many months. When I do have one, my performance at the gym sucks so bad I regret it immediately.

So, now I'd say I'm like 99% of the way there. Sometimes a rough day or a bad date will bring it out in me but, for the most part, I don't even think about it anymore. It's really helpful that no one around me smokes. If your friends smoke, it might be nice to make some new ones that don't so that you have some time with people who are nonsmokers.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in October of 2013 and have not smoked since. I am really excited that this time, it stuck.

I read Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking and I was very much in the mindset to quit. Halfway through the book, I was no longer a smoker.

I actually thought about it this morning...how glad I was to not be a slave to cigarettes any longer! Life is much easier!
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i smoked from the age of around 15 to age 30. quit at 30, no smoking in 20 years. best decision of my life. at the time i gained about 15lb from quitting, weight i never really ever ended up taking back off, because after that came 2 pregnancies and my 40's.

i can't encourage folks enough - get that monkey off your back. i wanna say it was very tough for at least 3 months, constant cravings and filling the need with cookie dough. hence the 15 lb.

would say i had cravings of some kind for ten years, although they lessened in intensity after the first year.

every once in a while i'll get a random craving, - like every couple of years now.

my point is that it is totally hard, smoking really trains your body and reward system to crave it, but it can be done. you just have to want it bad enough.

helpful to set up a reward system, like what are you going to do with all the money you're saving. removing yourself from immediate triggers is key, as in don't hang out with people who smoke. don't put yourself in drinking situations where it is likely you'll relapse on smoking. don't go outside with the people who smoke.

best of luck and hope you make it!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I quit a little over 2 years ago cold turkey after smoking for 20 years a pack of reds a day. It was by far the hardest addiction I have ever had to break but the worst part of kicking it only lasted 3 weeks, after that it was all mental. Just stay busy, drink lots of water and take deep breathes when things get bad. That pounding in your head will go away.. I promise.

You can do this, its going to suck and like I said probably be the hardest thing you will ever do but it is worth it. I watched a parent die from Stage 4 COPD, that's what made me quit, he died at his home from respiratory arrest.. I didn't want that for myself, and I would guess no one does, so quit while you can.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    2 years, 6 months and 3 days ago, I quit smoking. I still have moments when I think, I'm going to have one. But is passes. I did it at the same time I started losing weight. It was hard. But, I was adding exercising to the mix and my lungs could not take it anymore.

Keep at it. Sometimes, it takes more than once trying. Every day that you get through with less or none - is a victory. :drinker:
  • Kimmer03
    Kimmer03 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am a nonsmoker living with a smoker (rarity, I know!) In Montana we have the Montana Quit Line and it is free. You can access patches, lozenges, gum for free and Chantix for a reduced rate after talking to a support person on the phone. The people they have as support personnel are former smokers themselves.

here is the information: http://www.dphhs.mt.gov/mtupp/quitlinefactsheet.shtml

and Good luck! :)

There are two ways to use the
    Quit Line: Call or visit www.QuitNowMontana.com

Montana Tobacco Quit Line Services
    •A FREE personalized quit plan
    •5 FREE pro-active cessation coaching sessions
    •8 weeks of FREE nicotine replacement therapy (gum, patches or lozenges). Callers who enroll in Quit Line services may be eligible for up to 8 weeks of free NRT. The Quit Line will explain to the caller how and when these medications will be mailed out.
    •Chantix at a reduced cost ($50 co-pay per month for three months)
    •Bupropion at reduced cost ($5 co-pay per month for three months)
    •FREE educational materials for health care providers as well as friends and families of tobacco users
    •A fax referral system for health care providers who have patients that want to quit using tobacco (see provider link)
    •Trained staff that offers culturally appropriate services for American Indians
    •Pregnancy and Postpartum Program offers special services to women who enroll while they are pregnant.

Montana Quit Line Hours

We're here 7 days a week: 6:00 AM to 11 PM, MST.
    We have 24 hour voicemail, so please leave us a message.
    We will call you back!

Provider Resources

Refer a Patient: To refer a patient to the Montana Tobacco Quiline please print out the referral form fill it out and
    fax it to: 1-800-261-6259
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago I joined a gym and then 3 weeks later quit smoking.
    5 years later I have lost 25 pounds and can do a 5-K in less the 30 min.
    I feel great!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Think of not smoking as a learned skill, like learning to walk. So many people try to quit and if they fail, they just give up. If babies treated learning to walk like that no one would ever learn how. I quit smoking a dozen times or more, and after starting to smoke again, I would feel guilty for a while but I refused to feel beaten. I told myself that I was practicing how to not smoke and was getting better at it every time. Finally, one day I quit and it stuck.

P.S. Nicotine gum helped, but you have make that a very temporary crutch.
  • jackiemonx
    jackiemonx Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    guys ur support is amazing!

i lasted until 6pm.....new plan make this my last pack, reduce to 5 at most the next couple days then absolutely stop! im determined to be stopped completely by end of the month....definately!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I quit for about the 10th time two days ago. Been smoking since I was 12, so for 33 years. But I've had several years in the middle of no smoking.

For me, the best method of quitting without the crazy withdrawals is using the patch. Without the patch, I would barely make it through the first few days. With the patch, I don't have the withdrawal so it is easier to handle. I usually do the patch for about a month. Hopefully, I won't fall off the wagon again this time :/