I'm Trapped in the Wrong Body!

Options
Hello All!

My name is Jessica, and I'm 21 years old.

I have some major weight loss goals here: I'm currently about 215 lbs and my goal weight is a slender 125 lbs (or thereabouts). I have gotten in a rut and unable to lose weight - mostly because I stopped trying and went back to drinking soda as if it were water (bad, I know), and not exercising anymore either.

Basically, my goal is to give up soda (which I'm actually hoping to do starting today). By that, I mean all soda - no regular, no zero calorie, low calorie, caffeine free, sodium free whatever! (Plus I wouldn't touch a non-regular soda if you paid me). No soda to me means no soda at all.

Along with that, I have just acquired a second job at a department store for extra cash during the summer. The position is in the shoe department - so I will be constantly running around the stock room getting shoes for people. This is great since a number of our more popular styles are on the second floor of the stock room and I'll have to run up and down stairs quite a bit. I'm hoping that will count for at least part of my cardio until I can start going to the gym again.

Basically, I just feel like I'm trapped in a body that isn't mine. I used to do cheerleading and dance and now I can't even do yoga - I mean, it must really be bad if it hurts to bend over and touch my toes! But I would like to get down to a level where I don't have any jiggly parts! I participated in my high school's weight-training class (we called it advanced pe) and am no stranger to toning up.

If you have any advice, or would just like to add me as a friend on here, PLEASE! Feel free to do so! I need people to help me get through this. I don't have much of an off-line support network - just people who generally call me fat or tell me that I can't wear something because it's too tight, or whatever. I mean, I need supportive positive people instead of negative people.

So, that's me! Thanks for reading all of it. I hope to get to know some of you here!

- Jessica.

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Here are a few links that will be helpful to get your started. Don't try and make lots of big changes at once. That's a recipe for rage quitting.

Most importantly, to lose the weight you need to be in a calorie deficit. Weigh (with a food scale), measure and log everything you eat. Keep a reasonable, healthy deficit and you will lose. Exercise, while important to your health and well being (and my sanity) needs to be something you will enjoy and do. Moderate your eating, learn to delay the gratification of mindless eating, & work on all the whys that are wrapped up in overeating for you. Lastly, PATIENCE.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/_gypsyrunner_/view/independence-day-free-your-mind-674924
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Basically, my goal is to give up soda (which I'm actually hoping to do starting today). By that, I mean all soda - no regular, no zero calorie, low calorie, caffeine free, sodium free whatever! (Plus I wouldn't touch a non-regular soda if you paid me). No soda to me means no soda at all.
    Giving up soda is no miracle thing. Yes stopping the calorie laden version is a good thing but reducing zero calorie soda will in reality do nothing physically for your weightloss. Be careful you don't make this far more difficult than it needs to be

Follow the links that Gypsy gives above there is a ton of good advice there it's all about moderation Good luck
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Giving up soda is awesome cuz soda is nothing but sugar and crap calories that do nothing but spike insulin levels which in turn stores those crap calories as fat. Even diet sodas are bad but only science can explain why...and I'm no scientist.

easiest way for me to get back into the body I used to have was to log EVERYTHING..."want to try this boiled peanut?" Sure--LOG IT...haha.

That way you know exactly what your eating and then you can mess around with the calorie total until your weight loss is at a comfortable and healthy level.

I was 155lbs and 6ft in highschool. I ran sub 6 minute miles, played #1 seed tennis, soccer, and basketball...then years after college I found myself at 235lb...and still 6ft. Now i'm 192lbs and running 6ish minute miles again. All i did was lift weight, and count calories.
  • trex107
    trex107 Posts: 5
    Options
    My advice is for one never use the f word to describe yourself I have a lot of family members and friends who are not supportive also luckily my husband is. Anyways just remember you are doing this for yourself. I find that if I look at it in a positive way and not focus- on the number on the scale but go by how you feel each day. For me I know in order to stay positive I will only weigh myself once a month Also what I do is make mini goals for myself because I feel the mini goals will equal to my overall achievement. Hopefully some of this makes sense. I believe in you that what ever you want to achieve you can do it
  • Kaytrain91
    Kaytrain91 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can add me!! I'm 23 and I'm starting off around 210. I'm just now starting to lose weight. I used to be at a good weight in highschool, too (140lbs) and I really really really want to get back there! I have the opposite problem with my non-mfp people, though... they keep telling me that I look great, maybe a little chubby, but still good. But that's not encouraging me to get back to where I was at all. Looking great and feeling great are 2 totally different things... so yeah, let's help each other out ;D
  • MyTurn2BHappy
    MyTurn2BHappy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I'm in the wrong body too! WTH?! Let's do this :)
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Good for you with the job! I would recommend you wear a step counter to see how many steps you take in a day. I think that seeing that number would be a mood booster for you and maybe motivate you some more.
  • Jinnie69
    Jinnie69 Posts: 22
    Options
    Great job getting rid of soda will be an awesome step. And I like the idea of the step counter, phones have them now so you don't need a separate device. Good luck, it's about changing your life style not dieting. You can do this.
  • walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes, get off the soda. I did flavored water at first and then just water. I still do not drink enough water but at least I kicked the diet cola habit. Good Luck!
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member
    Options
    I found it easy to quit soda. The only liquids I drink now are water (10-12 servings/day), coffee (2-4 servings/day), sun tea (1-2 servings/day), skim milk (1-3 servings/day), wine and beer (2-4 a week). Occasionally, I cave to an energy drink but hey I’m only human. Don’t you judge me!
    As for walking and climbing the stairs any activity that gets you up and moving is great, just don’t try and bite off to much all at once. Baby steps. Get a pedometer that way you can track your steps. Aim for 10k to 12k a day. You can do it!
    Just remember to use your food log and log everything that you eat.
    I’m always willing to help motivate, I’ll send you a FR. I’m also willing to except other motivate folks.
    V/r,
    DW
  • HellyFaye
    HellyFaye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    1) Switch from soda to black, green, or herbal tea. Adding two packs of sugar is 30 calories. After a few weeks of drinking tea with that much sugar knock it down to one sugar packet (15 calories). You're going to need to ween yourself off caffeine that way. Going cold turkey off caffine will cause massive head aches and cause you to be extremely tired.
    2) Log everything you eat. Investing in a food scale will help you lots.
    3) Forgive yourself for mess ups. You will mess up. You will get back on that horse.
    4) You should never be starving. Fruits and vegetables work as wonderful good for you snacks.
    5) Learn to do some self love. For every bad negative thought you have about yourself, think 3 positive things. You are your own worst enemy sometimes. Learn to be your own best friend. If you love yourself it will be easier to eat better and find time for exercise. You take better care and perseve things thaf you love.
    6) Find ways to exercise. Small changes can make big results. Start doing small things and build. No one who runs marathons srarted out being able to go 26.2 from the start. They all started out only going one mile at a time.

Good luck! Feel free to add me.
  • Aero1dynamic
    Aero1dynamic Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I found that giving up soda and other not-so-great- drinks was easy once I put a dash of Mio into my water ( I never really liked water until now!). Now, I never crave and between my Mio water and morning protein shakes/fruit blends ( I got a Nutribullet!! YAY!!!) I feel amazing and I am beginning to look forward to all my workouts, whether I'm lifting or just running. Hang in there! It really is worth it
  • health4life48
    health4life48 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the soda thing....I was drinking regular ginger ale for quite awhile thinking I was making a healthy change by getting rid of "diet" soda....until I read an article about how much sugar your supposed to have per day.....I was wayyyy over! Back to water....haha!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I was pretty firmly against all diet soda back in my husky days. Each time I would completely quit, I'd be back at the trough a week later. I started doing half-and-half at the fountains and at home and slowly got to the point where full sugar soda just doesn't taste right. You don't need to do drastic punishments. Heck, you don't even need to cut it completely out. Just learn to moderate your intake and you'll probably realize that drinking your calories is dumb because food is better :)
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    portion control.
    You mentioned how you are in the wrong body. Nope. Still yours. However, you lost the convenience of having a scheduled PE class that you had to attend and cheerleading curricular activities that you had to attend.

Now you need to find fitness that you can do regularly just as you did back in high school. Find a schedule that works for you.
    Get back to practicing even if that means paying for a coach and attending classes.

think how you had your body before.

fitness is a lifestyle