Finally time to make a change! Just in time to get married!

Options
arwFTW
arwFTW Posts: 83 Member
I've always been fat. My entire life. I've fluxated between over-weight and morbidly obese and now I am firmly in the morbidly obese camp at 23 years old.

I have ALWAYS wanted to be thin, prayed and wished and hoped and for some reason (sarcasm) my wishes just never came true. Mostly because I could never stick with anything for longer than a month or two. They say if you do something 21 days in a row it will become habit, well that's bull**** for me. I have never become addicted to anything except food. But I am recently engaged and have wedding coming up in just less than a year. The thought of seeing myself in a white dress and looking like I currently do in photos that will be memorialized for the rest of my life, makes me want to die of sadness.

I have ALWAYS wanted to be thin. Why not make it happen?? So here I go.

I am 270 pounds and 5' 8" tall. I am shooting for a goal weight of 150lbs. I have 120 lbs to lose.

Right now I am taking cardio/strength classes 2 times a week and jogging for 20-30 minutes once per week. I would like to get my exercise up to 5x/week. My problem is food. I can't seem to skip the carbs. I know what is bad for me and I know what is good, and I know my portion sizes are too big. WHY CAN'T I GET SOME SELF CONTROL.

I am starting here at MFP for support, accountability, inspiration and motivation.

I don't know my way around here very well just yet, but if anyone wants to add me. I would love to give and receive some support :)

Thanks all.

Ashley

Replies

• erinbeth85
    erinbeth85 Posts: 34
    Options
    I just added you. :-) I actually started my journey at the age of 24 at 268 pounds, and I'm 5'7"/5'8" (depending on the day lol), so I completely understand where you are! I'm now 29, and have had a couple relatively short periods of weight loss and longer periods of maintenance (or slight gaining), and I'm currently at about 204. I'm also getting married in October of this year, and it was October of last year (at 242) that I started getting serious again about weight loss. It's a struggle every single day, and I still have a ways to go. While I'm in it, it seems like it's taking forever, but it's very satisfying seeing how far I've come. Great job with getting started on exercise, and good luck with the portion control/carb issue... that's been a problem for me too!
  • arwFTW
    arwFTW Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks girl! It's good to know I'm not alone in the struggle (not that I thought I was) but to hear someone has gone through/is going through the same thing is encouraging.

Congratulations on the weight loss and getting married soon! I hope it is your dream come true :D
  • amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been in this struggle for about 4 years. I am hoping to reach my goal by June 2015 when I am MoH in a wedding. Feel free to add me, I attempt to eat well and exercise 80% of the time but I'm also 23 and I do let myself indulge occasionally. it has really helped me to NOT restrict 100%, yes the loss is slower but at the end of the day I've been on a downward weight trend for 6 months instead of my usual 2. Good luck to you!