Fruit Sugar- is too much okay?

Options
Hi all!

I'm new to MFP and I am beginning to notice that I almost always go over my daily allowance of sugar. I eat a lot of fresh fruit everyday for breakfast, snacks and desserts (in lieu of refined sugar items). My Mom has been diagnosed with Type II diabetes, and even though I am young with no health problems (except for being significantly overweight), I am a bit concerned.

Specific Q's:
-Is it okay to go over my allotment if it's 95% due to fresh, organic fruit consumption?
-Are some fruits better than others in terms of sugar?
-Any alternatives that have worked for you?

Cheers!

Replies

• jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Put simply, no. Sugar is sugar whether it be glucose or fructose your body is going to treat it as a simple carb and break it down quickly for energy which will raise your blood sugar levels.

Some low sugar/carb fruits: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, kiwi. Avoid pineapple and sweeter apples like the honey crisp, or eat in smaller quantities.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    If by "better" you mean "less sugar," then sure.
    Only alternative is trying to find a suitable apple since honeycrisps are out of season.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you don't need to watch your sugar, then sugar from fruit is probably fine. But, as the previous poster noted, to your body sugar is sugar, whatever its source. If you're predisposed to diabetes, and are overweight, you *should* be concerned about your sugar consumption. Kudos to you for asking the question!

I prefer to eat more vegetables and go easy on the fruits. I also find that a breakfast consisting mostly of protein with a little carbs and fats keeps me more satiated than a breakfast of fruit which is mostly just sugar. Your body burns through sugar much more quickly than proteins or fats.

Try a breakfast of nonfat Greek yogurt with some berries and agave nectar or honey mixed in.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You say you have no medical issues so do not worry about sugar then. MFPs limit is stupidly low anyway. The best thing you can do to stop the chances of diabetes is to lose weight which you are already making strives to achieve. Good luck
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Last week I was curious about this problem so I went on a diet of fruits veggies nuts and chicken. I was miserable and my energy was low but EVERY DAY I WAS OVER MY SUGAR LIMIT! On the days that I was not I was very lethargic.
  • skinnyb05
    skinnyb05 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Put simply, no. Sugar is sugar whether it be glucose or fructose your body is going to treat it as a simple carb and break it down quickly for energy which will raise your blood sugar levels.

Some low sugar/carb fruits: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, kiwi. Avoid pineapple and sweeter apples like the honey crisp, or eat in smaller quantities.

Agree!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic nor have I had any trouble losing weight or being healthy (probably the opposite actually). I love fruit. I eat fruit. I don't care about the sugar content it has.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I'm new to MFP and I am beginning to notice that I almost always go over my daily allowance of sugar. I eat a lot of fresh fruit everyday for breakfast, snacks and desserts (in lieu of refined sugar items). My Mom has been diagnosed with Type II diabetes, and even though I am young with no health problems (except for being significantly overweight), I am a bit concerned.

Specific Q's:
    -Is it okay to go over my allotment if it's 95% due to fresh, organic fruit consumption?
    -Are some fruits better than others in terms of sugar?
    -Any alternatives that have worked for you?

Cheers!

Type II IS hereditary. But if your doctor doesn't think it's an issue, then I doubt it would be an issue.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Too much means not okay.

As you can set the allowance for any macro and micro yourself, the answer will be that you decide how much is too much.

Fruit is good, but shouldn't supplant (new word for me today, yay) a balanced and varied diet.
  • janerose99
    janerose99 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Nobody is fat from eating too much fruit.
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you're doctor says you aren't diabetic or borderline, then you probably only need to track carbs and not sugars.

I even went so far as to remove it from my diary settings so I don't have to see how much I go over everyday because I eat so much fruit!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. If you track carbs, no need to track sugar (natural or refined), barring medical reasons to do so.
  • HellyFaye
    HellyFaye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Fruit is naturally high in sugar. I would continue eating fruit in place of junk food. Fruit tastes fantastic and is full of flavor. You shouldn't worry about your sugar intake since it is natural sugar unless your Doctor says otherwise.

Diabetes runs in my family as well. My Doctor says that me eating fruit is perfectly fine and preferable to me eating refined sugar. You should be fine. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Where are you on your total carbs? If you are hitting or staying slightly under your carb macro, and don't have metabolic issues, don'y worry about sugars. I got rid of the sugars tracking and track fiber instead.
  • Positive_Changes
    Positive_Changes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight everyone!

Here are my main takeaways: I will choose to eat fruits, but lower-sugar options such as berries. Although I do not show any negative health problems now, I am concerned about my sugar levels, because Type-II diabetes is both in my family history, and I am (hopefully not for much longer!) very overweight, and this increases your risk for this disease.

I am historically a very healthy eater, but the issue is the portion sizes, which are (as I'm starting to recognize) much too big. I could probably have a 1/2 cup of grapes for dessert instead of a full cup, etc.

Good luck to everyone on their journeys and thanks for the advice!