Need breakfast ideas < 300 calories total

Options
sassyww
sassyww Posts: 7 Member
I'm working on a 1200 calories per day "budget" and need breakfast ideas. MY problem is I'm a very picky eater and do not like things like eggs or yogurt that would be great since they are high protein foods. I've been eating a Fiber 1 Protein bar and a Special K Protein snack bar with a glass of skim milk. But that still totals 300 calories! I want to stick with a quick grab and go type thing if possible. I'm not opposed to preparing something the night before. Just not sure what. (And yes, I know I need to work on not being so picky, but I'm starting with adding veggies right now.)

Replies

• mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is always 2 scoops of chocolate/peanut butter NSN whey protein powder in the blender with ice and unsweetened almond/coconut milk. 279 calories 47 grams of protein. Takes only 2 minutes to toss together and pour into a to go cup if needed. Sometimes I'll add a little more ice and pour in a cup of coffee as well.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Typically if I don't go the egg/bacon route (seriously, being diabetic doesn't always suck :happy: )

Whole wheat english muffin 130
    Smuckers Sugar Free Raspberry Jam, 1 tbsp 20
    Kraft 25% light Peanut Butter, 1 tbsp 80

Cheerios (1 cup) 100
    Milk - Whole, 3.25%, 0.5 cup 73
    Blueberries - Raw, 1 cup 83

It's super important for my blood sugar to get fat/protein/carbs in the morning. In the afternoon/dinner I can handle no carb...sometimes just a piece of meat will do it for me.
  • sagreenious
    sagreenious Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Porridge.
    28grams oats.
    14grams raisins/sultanas
    1 tablespoon honey or jam
    200ml of semi skimmed goats milk (could also use cows milk)

That comes to 302 calories. So to cut back 2 calories use less honey or less milk. I tend to microwave the oats and milk for 3 minutes then add the honey/jam and fruit afterwards.
  • KultaPanda2
    Options
    I have three Wheatabix with a teaspoon of sugar and 200ml of skimmed milk! I love it, a change from porridge on these warmer days :) It's 14g protein, and super quick to make and eat.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Porridge made from...

60g oats and wheatbran
    25g soya bran
    50g raspberries

plus water and cinnamon

Only 240 cals

I make it in a pot on non work days or zap in microwave when at work.
  • BlueberryWatermelon
    BlueberryWatermelon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Do you like cereal? My usual breakfast is:

1 cup Kashi Go Lean (cereal)
    0.5 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
    0.5 cup blueberries
    ~~ 250 calories and 15 g of protein
  • srbommel
    srbommel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1 Tbsp Creamy Peanut Butter
    1 Whole Wheat Bagel Thin Toasted
    1 Banana
    Approx 305 calories, high protein and FILLING!
  • sassyww
    sassyww Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. Some of these options look like they would work to at least give me some variety and be a little less calories than what I'm doing now. To be honest, I was hoping someone had a tasty, filling option that was only 100-150 calories. HAHAHAHA Now back to reality. ;)
  • Gimpypal
    Gimpypal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My usual breakfast is:
    1/2 cup Kellogg's Special K - Cinnamon/Pecan (73 cal)
    6 oz Dannon nonfat vanilla yogurt (80 cal)
    1/4 cup frozen blueberries (20 cal)
    ... for a total of 173 cal. Add a fresh peach for additional 61 cal and you still have room for another snack.

P.S. try this, it's kinda like having a dessert.

Breakfast though is really when you want to get the most cals and cut back at dinner time.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I usually have a toasted English Muffin, with some margarine, and cheese, a cup of coffee and some fruit. It's usually under 300 cals. My diary is open.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love 1/2 cup each:

cottage cheese (full fat)
    Fiber One cereal
    blueberries

210 calories total, so delicious and so filling.
  • audrast
    audrast Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Kashi - Go Lean - Original, 52 G 160cal
    +
    Blue Diamond, Almond Breeze, Unsweeted Almond Milk Vanilla, 1 cup 30cal

You can even go crazy and have a cup of fresh orange juice with that!
  • TheNewMe99
    TheNewMe99 Posts: 24
    Options
    Martin's 100% whole wheat potato bread - 1 slice 80 calories 14 carbs and 7g of protein
    breakstone cottage chesse 4oz - 90 calories
    cup of Bigelow Tea, Organic Green Tea with Pomegranate and Acai
    You can even add a banana or other fruit of choice and still be way below 300

Toast the bread you can add cinnamon or pepper if you like

Total - 170
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Breakfast

Two slices gluten free toast 180 cals
    100 g peameal bacon. 100 cals

280 cals total
  • HellyFaye
    HellyFaye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Finding an option under 150 calories that is actually filling is not going to happen sorry.

Option 1
    2 slices gluten free bread
    1/8 smashed blueberries
    1 tablespoon almond butter
    1 teaspoon honey

Option 2
    1/3 cup uncooked quiona
    2/3 cups vanilla almond milk
    1/3 cup water
    1/4 cup blueberries
    Cook (quiona, 1/3 cup milk, and water together) for 15 minutes and tgen serve with remaining milk and blueberries

Option 3:
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 frozen banana
    1 cup almond milk
    1 tablespoon almond butter
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. Some of these options look like they would work to at least give me some variety and be a little less calories than what I'm doing now. To be honest, I was hoping someone had a tasty, filling option that was only 100-150 calories. HAHAHAHA Now back to reality. ;)

I've done this. It's not a 1 or 2 minute quick thing but it's possible. I can't remember the name of the tortilla's but there are some that are really low cal. 50 or 70, can't remember which. Scramble some egg beaters. Add a little fat free cheddar cheese and top with a tablespoon of salsa. Roll it all up and your out the door. If you find the right tortillas and don't go over on the cheese you can get in around 150. Really though, you want to do more calories than that in the morning.
  • tjohnston14
    tjohnston14 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A lot of days I have one packet of oatmeal (instant, plain), with one packet of Splenda (or real sugar if you prefer), 1/4 cup of blueberries, and a small banana. Fills me up until lunch time and it is only about 180 calories. Also, drink lots of water in the morning and it will help fill you up.
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Salsa and Cheese Omelet

2 egg whites
    1 whole egg
    1/4c low fat mozzarella cheese
    Salsa - as much as you want! ( I usually use 4 TBSP)

Yesterday all I had was Mexican cheese, so there's more calories and fat in it:
    Calories: 234
    Sodium: 492
    Fat: 14
    Protein: 19
    Carbs: 5

(You could easily add precooked chicken breast, luncheon ham, fresh veggies pan fried in cooking spray.)
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    CLOSE to 150 calories:

1 cup frozen blueberries
    1 cup skim milk

Calories: 159!!! VERY yummy on a hot morning...and I do find this pretty filling...but I need a snack by 10!
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You could make healthy breakfast cookies with some oatmeal, smashed bananas, plain yogourt, some spice , dried fruit and nuts. They're delicious and on the go! All nutritious ingredients in there!