Dirty vegetables

Options
candistyx
candistyx Posts: 547 Member
Whenever I get carrots or potatoes with dirt still on them I never seem to be able to scrub enough to get it all off. If I give it a good go and it's still kinda dirty, it's still fine to eat right? I don't want to have to peel things just because of a bit of dirt residue.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    its fine, itll just pass through your system. cleaning them completely free of dirt would be just for our own peace of mind, think of all the animals that eat these things in the wild covered in dirt.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    A little dirt never hurt anyone. I just hate when it crunches between my teeth *shudder*
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    It's fine, but it'll be easier to scrub off if you soak it in some warm water first to dissolve the dirt.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I would peel them, or at least peel the parts that have dirt on them.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Depends who grew them and where....from my own garden I yank them out and eat them dirt and all....little rub in the grass and good to go. From a supermarket, I'd probably get rid of the dirt cuz I don't know where it came from.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    When I bring my fruit and veg home, I fill up the sink with cold water and add 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 2 tbsp of salt and just let them sit for 20-30 minutes. Rinse and dry them and they're ready to go for when you need them. I find they also last a little longer, too.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Using vinegar and salt is news to me but it makes sense. I too soak potatoes and then scrub them with a clean non abrasive sponge. This gets them nice and clean. Make sure you let them dry completely if you are storing them.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of vitamins in carrot and potato skin. Don't peel them. Just scrub them and eat them. You probably grew up eating them that way. it didn't kill ya then, it won't kill ya now :drinker:
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    When I bring my fruit and veg home, I fill up the sink with cold water and add 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 2 tbsp of salt and just let them sit for 20-30 minutes. Rinse and dry them and they're ready to go for when you need them. I find they also last a little longer, too.

Vinegar and baking soda works really well too.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of vitamins in carrot and potato skin. Don't peel them. Just scrub them and eat them. You probably grew up eating them that way. it didn't kill ya then, it won't kill ya now :drinker:
    +1
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    We don't peel our carrots or potatoes, either.
  • pamelas9
    pamelas9 Posts: 29
    Options
    Depends who grew them and where....from my own garden I yank them out and eat them dirt and all....little rub in the grass and good to go. From a supermarket, I'd probably get rid of the dirt cuz I don't know where it came from.

This. Especially if the food isn't organic. Dirt holds onto pesticides/herbicides.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I bought fresh asparagus the othef day. I thought I rinsed it well until I started munching on sand. I knew it wouldnt kill me but I couldnt get past the grit in my teeth. What a waste...

I do peel carrots tho...
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I don't think a little dirty vegetables ever really hurt anybody.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I always peeled my carrots, but now my boyfriend just washes his off and eats it as is!

I've been trying it, and surprisingly it's fine!

I just peeled them because that's what mama taught me, I never put thought into it.

I would wash them really good with a brush, though.
  • LoveLearnHappy
    LoveLearnHappy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We eat the skin, too! But anything that has an edible skin gets a nice 15 minute vinegar/water bath as soon as it gets home from the store. Not just to remove the dirt & pesticides that could be left on it, but also because of all the people who might have touched my food before I did. Just think of all those hands that rummaged through that bin of apples before you... yuck!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    What are you scrubbing your vegetables with, a cotton swab?

Buy a stiff-bristled brush - you can find them specifically sold as vegetable brushes.

Use that. I do, and I never have a problem with residual dirt or grit in my teeth. That sounds disgusting.
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly fine if it's Organic. If not, I'd peel it cause you're not getting just dirt.
  • sbaldino29
    sbaldino29 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Vinegar and baking soda works really well too.

I'm just curious, can you taste any residual vinegar when you do this?
  • aliciamunday7
    aliciamunday7 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly fine if it's Organic. If not, I'd peel it cause you're not getting just dirt.

Pesticides and herbicides enter through the skin of the vegetables. Peeling it doesnt help much. A little bit wont kill ya