Runners--tell me a "bad run" story and a "good run" story.

Options
13»

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

Good: I didn't give up and kept training starting with C25K. I lost all the baby weight plue another 17 lbs. When my daughter was 2 I ran my first half marathon and was greeted at the finish line by my husband and daughter. I was so overwhelmed I cried. We now take our 2 daughters, 16 months and 6 years old, to several charity 5Ks a year. It's something we do as a family.

AWE great story!
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    BAD - I had my husband drop me off 7 miles from home so that I could run past all the pretty farms. (When I run out and back from my house I never make it that far) Anyway, the second he pulled away, I immediately needed the bathroom. That was a LONG run in more ways than one.

BEST - So many to choose from, but I'd have to say it was the day I broke 9 miles. 9 miles was my goal for the day, but when I reached it, I just kept on going. I ran right past my house and kept on cruising. The only reason that I stopped was because I ran out of time...places to be, things to do. It was my favorite run from when I was training for my first half. After that run, I KNEW I could run my half. And the half, that's another BEST RUN story.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Bad story:

I almost killed a bunny on my first ever run.
    I turned a corner and a cute little bunny was on the grass. I scared it and it ran towards the road. A big truck was coming.

Good story:

Luckily the bunny dodged at the last second.

If I had seen the bunny get squished, I would have given up running forever. And ever.

FYI I just started 1.5 weeks ago.

Thats good news..im not a big fan of rabbits..they are just pests to me...but id feel bad if i caused one to be smeared on the road.
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bad run story: I left my house to run and it was 113 degrees. I ran....and ran...and ran. I ended up with heat exhaustion and the worstsunburn of my life and ended up getting a kidney infection from dehydration.

Good run story: iI didn't want to go. I put on my shoes and went, thinking I'd just jog or walk just to get it over with. I ended up running five miles-the farthest I have ever ran.
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The day may come when I can no longer run at all. Lots of people are already in that boat, unfortunately.

So really, every run is a good run. Even the bad ones. :wink:
  • salgal33
    salgal33 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bad story:
    When training for my first and only marathon, drove quite a distance to a rails-to-trails for one of my long runs. I was really looking forward to it. There was literally no one around early on a Sunday morning. This particular trail is very secluded and wooded at parts. Only a couple miles in I was running through a densely wooded area and I caught a little movement out of the corner of my eye. There was a man crouched tightly in a ball hiding to my right up on the hill just ahead. YIKES, my fear factor went sky-high! I abruptly turned around and made record time back to my car!

Good Story: Finishing above marathon with Leukemia and Lymphoma team support and seeing my sick niece had made it to the finish line to see me!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I can tell you one of each based on today's run alone.

GOOD: I was out for my 3 miler today and realized after I had run up one of the many hills on my run that I had kept my pace without even thinking about it!

BAD: Just as I was nearing the end of my run I felt a sharp, searing pain in the back of my right arm. I cried out and thought I saw a small dark shape fly away. I figured I had been bitten by a horsefly. But the area continued to hurt, so I stopped and tried to twist my arm around to see. There on the sleeve of my shirt was the culprit: a black wasp, nonchalantly washing his face. I tried not to panic and upset him again, flicked him away and ran off. I think he may have gotten up under my phone armband and gotten stuck. I can't imagine he would sting me just for running past...but those little buggers can be mean sometimes. And here it is hours later and it just finally stopped hurting.
  • angelmo8
    angelmo8 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! It is great to remind me that everyone has a bad day here and there :)

Bad story: I was out running the nature trails at a local park. When I left my house I knew there were storms coming but hoped I could beat them. I was heading down the entrance to my 2nd trail when it started raining a little and thundering. I didn't give it much thought because it was hot, the rain felt good and the thunder sounded far away. As I was running back up the hill to move on to the 3rd trail lightening struck a tree on the trail ahead of me. Scared me to death! Needless to say that was the end of that run.

Good story: It has been really hot lately and I am not normally able to run in the mornings so I've been toughing it out afterwork. I went out to run my usual 4 miles one evening when it was in the 90's with high humidity. I didn't have much hope that I'd be able to finish because of the heat, but I did! Even though I was sweating buckets and not feeling 100% I was able to push myself to finish. I didn't finish with a good time, but it certianly wasn't my worst and I showed myself that I can do it! I don't let the heat talk me out of a run anymore :happy:
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Bad run- First 20 miler of my marathon training. I was having IT band problems and the whole run was nothing but pain. I had to stop several times to stretch, had people ask me if I was ok when I was sitting on the sidewalk. I hobbled into the house crying, hardly able to walk at the end. Thought I was probably going to have to give up running.

Good run-Ran my first marathon a couple months after that bad run. Pain free, and had an amazing first marathon experience.
  • runningforicecream
    Options
    Bad: I was running and my underwear fell down. Like all the way down, almost to my thigh and scrunched up there. The only thing keeping them up was my running pants. I was far from my house and there was just nowhere around that I can adjust them with anything resembling privacy. I walk all the way back with my panties pooling around my butt.

Good: When I can finally run non-stop for 10 minutes. I started with not even able to run for 1 minute. That was a proud moment.
  • pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Bad: I trained very hard to run my 6th half marathon as my fastest. I was dead-set on running it because the after party at the finish line sounded epic (especially all the food vendors haha). The night before I got sick in the hotel room and realized that not only did I have a stomach virus but I had a kidney stone. After throwing up for what seemed like hours, I took a couple hydrocodone to get to sleep & felt fine when I woke up so I decided to still run... STUPID! I felt weak the entire time and it was also 30º and icy so I was already slower than normal. I finished 30 minutes over my slowest race time ever and the stress on my body left me with (TMI) diarrhea for several days after. I lost 4 pounds in the week after the race

Good: I redeemed myself from the above race by knocking 3 minutes off of my PR on my next race, which happened to be my first race out of state. I was super nervous about running in another state with different weather conditions than I was used to but the energy of the spectators and all the scenery along the route kept me going.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Bad run - First 20 mile run ever and I wasn't very experienced at carrying water. Needless to say it was a bit warmer that day and I needed more water throughout the run. Pilfered water from a local river and from a water sprinkler at a local park (some serious force in this one). Survived the run and learned quite a bit.

Good run story - Same as my bad one.